Subject: Daily Media Review 26 June 2003

From UNMISET

Date: 06/26/2003 03:40PM Subject: Daily Media Review 26 June

Dili, June 26, 2003

Daily Media Review

Former Clandestine Members Protest Police Recruitment

About 10 former clandestine youth [youth involved in the underground movement during Indonesia occupation] from Lautém [Lospalos] protested at the National Parliament on Tuesday about PNTL recruitment process. Representing the group, Amelio Elepara said that 74 people from that district passed the recruitment selection test in November 2002 but only 21 were called to join the force. Elepara said the group is very disappointed and believes that the recruitment process was "discriminatory". He added that they met with the Minister of Interior Rogério Lobato a few months ago. Lobato would have promised to send their case to the court in the month of June but so far they have not heard anything and instead another 150 new cadets were sworn in on Tuesday. (STL)

Budget: Government Will Consider Parliament's Recommendations

Prime Minister Alkatiri said on Wednesday that the Government would try to consider the recommendations of the Parliament's Commission for Finance and Economy regarding the fiscal year budget for 2003-2004. Alkatiri said the government is still analyzing the recommendations and that the government is still liaising with the donors. He further stated that most of the budget has been allocated for the education and the health sector. Timor Post quoted Prime Minister Alkatiri as saying that F-FDTL budget allocation had increased from US$1,6 million to US$6,5 million due to the development project for the establishment of F-FDTL compound in Baucau.

PM on Security and December 4 Incidents

Prime Minister told the media on Tuesday in Dili that the Government has been preparing legislation regarding a national security system, in order to establish the functions of the Armed Forces, police and other institutions. Regarding the December 4 incidents, he said the report has not been completed "because the government stopped the investigation. At the time it was said that the international police could not be investigated because of their immunity. For this reason the government passed the case to the Prosecutor-General's Office for criminal investigation". Alkatiri said he will wait until December 2003 for the results of the investigation and if they not complete by then he will make a public denouncement. (STL, TP)

Timor-Leste in the China -Portuguese Speaking Countries Economic Forum

Timor-Leste will participate in the first forum of Economic Cooperation between China and Portuguese Speaking Countries, which will take place in Macao in October, said the Minister of Foreign Affairs José Ramos-Horta. Horta said the Vice-Minister of Economy and Environment Abel Ximenes will lead the Timorese delegation. The Forum in Macao is the initiative of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation (MOFTEC). (Lusa)


Back to June menu
May  

World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu