Subject: LUSA: Finance Ministry personnel blamed in two embezzlements

08-04-2004 13:33:00 GMT . Fonte LUSA. Notícia SIR-5948051 Temas:

East Timor: Finance Ministry personnel blamed in two embezzlements

Dili, April 8 (Lusa) - The findings of a government inquiry into two apparent embezzlements by employees of East Timor's Planning and Finance Ministry have been turned over to the Attorney General's office for action, Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri said Thursday.

In a communique, Alkatiri said it was "extremely lamentable" that such situations could occur at a time when the government faced "great challenges".

Destined for Timor's Community Decentralization Program, the missing funds had been embezzled by Planning and Finance Ministry employees, the communique said, without further elaboration.

Lusa was unable to confirm the amounts or number of civil servants involved in the two cases.

Planning and Finance Minister Madalena Boavida expressed her "disappointment" with her suspected subordinates.

The government announced the suspension of the suspects from their ministry posts, ordered an internal audit back to 2002, and instructed the Treasury Department to re-evaluate its system of controls.

EL/SAS Lusa


Support ETAN, make a secure financial contribution at etan.org/etan/donate.htm

Back to April menu
March
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu