Subject: TL Network for Transparency: On Ministry of Interior weapons
The Timor-Leste Network for Transparency and Economic Justice
To response to the Timor-Leste Government through Minister of Interiors political decission which has decided to buy and receaved more less 450 various tipes of weapons. We, Network for Transparency and Economy Justice with mandate to promote transparency and to combate corruption, against the political decision of Minister of Interior with following reasons: 1. Base on the RDTL Constitution Article 95( Parliament Competence), 3.d (To deliberate its government plan , and for the financial report include fiscal management how the government been utilized its National budget. Find in TL Constitution English
2. Refer to the Article 115 (Government competence ).1.a) Define and to running a national politic , when the determination of final approvement from National Parliament and ; d). Prepare a plan a national budget for government to run up its plan, when a agreement is come out by the National Parliament.
We support government decision on national security. But should be base on National procedures that: decision on national security should goes through decision from national parliament as the higher representative body of Timor-Leste people.
Refer to the following weapons: · F2000 total = 7, US$ 2000 each
· FNC total = 66, US$ 800 each
· HK -33 total = 180, (given by the Malaysian Government)
· STEYR total = 200, US$ 1000 each.
According to the analysis of actual real situation that, the political decision from the Minister of Interior, Mr. Rogerio Lobato, we can conclude that : 1. Decision of Minister of Interior against national legislation enshrined in the Article 95 of RDTL Constitution;
2. there are strong indications that, the Minister of Interior Mr. Rogerio Tiago Lobato has been unutilized National budget without any official recognizing from the National parliament .
3. The currant allocation weapons such as : weapon type of F 2000 with total of = 7 Pic , now been utilized to the body guard of Mr. Rogerio Tiago Lobato, Mr. Paulo Martins and Mr. Ismail Babo. Weapon type of FNC with total of = 66 pic , has allocated to the Police of UIR . Weapon type of HK- 33 with the total of = 180 pic has utilized by the UPR police in Aileu district. We are questioning this allocation weapons , because of many experiences been show us that, there are no justice for the case of killing people in Baucau several years ago, and include shooting a student in Dili on 4th of December 2002, its seems truly that there are no system to control weapons at the moment.;
4. Look at the expenses of the National Budget to buying guns, more or less about USD 250.000, and talking about the basic necessity in the grass roots level , with the big amount can be utilize to any other necessities urgent in the police institution rather than buying military guns.
As a comparatively , this budget would be more benefits to be utilize to the others major important necessity such as : expense to the communications equipment to PNTL, allocate for fuel arrangement for PNTL vehicles at district level, and allocate to any others PNTL necessity in order to strengthen and empowering PNTL capacity its self.
Buying guns with a big amount and various model, no qualify system to control and , limit capacity to utilize, would be contribute create an internal conflict between two military institution and also can be provoke a conflict at land border.
Recently, no law been done by the National parliament about the system of utilizing guns, allocation guns regarding to the competence of each PNTL institutions.
To respond with this situation , we recommend to the sovereignty organs in this nation should take a following political steps : 1. Urgently and necessarily that, National Parliament should use the constitutionality right to deliver an appeal to government trough the general prosecutor in order to set up a national team for the inspection to the minister of interior Mr. Rogerio Tiago Lobato.
2. Urgently and necessarily that, National Parliament of Timor Leste , must be use the constitutionality right to run a study and deeply analyzing on the politics of buying guns and also others military equipments
3. Formulate a law to control , an utilization of its weapons are recently been in East Timor. In reality , there are currant type of weapons such as : F 2000, FNC, HK 33, and STEYR must be use for function of army work NOT TO THE PNTL.
We declare that, this is a preliminary act and will be continue if there are significant and positive responds from National Parliament of East Timor.
Dili, October 21, 2004
Signature : - Representative of LABEH, .
- Representative of CIES-TL,
- Representative of
- Representative of FTM, .
- Representative of JID,
- Representative of , HABURAS Foundation . ...
- Representative of , UNTL students
- Representative of , FORSANE .
- Representative of , IPITL
- Representative of , TILANG
- Representative of , LAVP
- Representative of Youth EBEHAEZER ..
Support ETAN, make a secure financial contribution at etan.org/etan/donate.htm