Subject: UNMISET Daily Media Review 10 February 2005

UNMISET Daily Press Review

Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources

Daily Media Review Thursday, 10 February 2005

Dili and Lisbon port authorities sign cooperation agreement

The port authorities of Timor-Leste and Portugal signed an accord for broad bilateral cooperation. Timor-Leste’s Minister of Transportation, Communications and Public Works, Ovideo Amaral, and Portugal’s Ambassador to Timor-Leste, João Ramos Pinto, signed the agreement yesterday. Under the accord, financing for port projects, including technical assistance and training programs, will be covered by aid agreements between the two countries. (Lusa)

Thousands of Timorese hungry

Nearly 20,000 Timorese are hungry, the majority in Suai, said the Secretary of State for Labour and Solidarity, Arsenio Paixao Bano. The Secretary of State released the figures yesterday after explaining that three government departments - the Department of Internal Affairs, Department of Disaster Management, and the Department of Labour and Solidarity, gathered the data. The Department of Labour and Solidarity has sent a team to Ainaro and Covalima to ascertain the accuracy of the data.

Meanwhile, the Ainaro District Administrator, Joao de Araujo Cortereal, disagreed with reports that 53 people in Hatobuiliko sub-district, Ainaro, have died of starvation. He said that they died because they were sick and refused to get treatment. He said that solidarity among the Ainaro population is strong and that if there were some people going hungry, then others would help. Cortereal believes that it is because of this solidarity that the people of Ainaro had never suffered starvation.

The insistence of the District Administrator that no one in Ainaro had ever died of starvation was at odds with the observation of the Secretary for the Sub-District Administration, Domingos de Araujo, who was quoted on Monday as saying that since October last year, 53 people in the sub-district had died of starvation. (STL)

Arlindo Rangel: “When the investment law is approved, investors will be able to come to Timor-Leste”

Following a meeting with Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri, the Secretary of State for Commerce and Industry, Arlindo Rangel, stated that when the investment law is approved, it will provide foreigners with a good opportunity to invest in Timor-Leste. According to Rangel, the proposed law was submitted yesterday to the Council of Ministers for consideration and it’s expected to be approved by Parliament in the near future. “When coming to Timor-Leste, the investors will invest with big capital. Therefore, they particularly want to be exempt of taxes in some parts of their investment,” said Rangel. (Timor Post)

Paulo Fatima Martins: “Those who recently crossed the border are not militia but illegal armed groups”

PNTL’s General Commander, Paulo Fatima Martins, has denied comments that militia are crossing the border into Timor-Leste. Mr Martins said no militia in Timor-Leste, but illegal armed groups who are coming into the country. He said there has been a continued patrol by PNTL’s Border Patrol Unit in the border areas to maintain the security. (Timor Post)

Silveiro Pinto Baptista: There should be an investigation towards Prosecutor General

The lawyer for Akui Leong, who has been implicated in the alleged bribe scandal in the Prosecutor’s office in Dili District, has called on officials to investigate the actions of the Prosecutor General, Longinhos Monteiro, in the matter. Silveiro Pinto Baptista has made the appeal to the President and called on him on establish an investigation team, which would involve the members from the four organs of the State (Presidency, Parliament, Government and Judiciary).

Meanwhile, in a press release issued on Wednesday, Prosecutor General Monteiro said the investigation surrounding the actions of Dili District’s prosecutor with the initials EG, has revealed that EG did not abuse any power. “As a Prosecutor General I conclude that prosecutor EG conducted his work based on the mandate given to him and also on the penal process,” said Monteiro. EG has since resumed his duties in the Prosecutor’s office as of Monday this week. (Timor Post, STL)


Back to February menu 
January
 
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu

Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/