Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review, 19th October 2005
[Poster's note: Long repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed.]
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
Daily Media Review
Wednesday, 19 October 2005
National Media Reports
Lu-Olo: Salem Should Report Oecusse Case to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Speaking to the press on Monday, President of National Parliament Francisco Guterres "Lu-Olo" urged Secretary of State for Oecusse Enclave, Albano Salem to immediately report the recent Oecusse incidents to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order to settle the matter in a peaceful manner with the Indonesian Government. " I hope both the Governments of Timor-Leste and Indonesia can quickly and peacefully resolve the matter. This is due to the fact that now the rainy season is around the corner, and we would like to provide security assurance to the local farmers so that they will be able to cultivate their land in the border area," Lu-Olo said. Meanwhile, MP Antonio Lelan of Oecusse who raised the issue at the Parliamentary plenary session, said that generally Oecusse residents regretted the incidents. He said that they reportedly blamed the commitments of both Governments in implementing the agreements that have been made. (STL).
Norberto takes aim at Joao Goncalves
It is reported that it could be the first time that Parliamentarians have exchanged physical threats against each other. Fretilin MP Norberto Espirito Santo, faced with criticisms against him from PSD MP Joao Goncalves, allegedly picked up the chair he was sitting on and attempted to throw it at Goncalves. Goncalves had criticized Norberto regarding the recent use of a government vehicle to attend the funeral ceremony of Father Mario do Carmo Lemos Belo in Baucau. Norberto allegedly angrily replied, and after hitting the table in anger, picked up his chair and threw it with the chair being intercepted. MP Norberto was then taken outside the Parliament building.
Affirming his comments in the Parliamentary session, MP Goncalves said that there are many government cars that have been provided for the work of the government commissions, but that they are never available for use when needed. If members of the commissions need to travel to the districts, often they are forced to request NGO assistance in taking them there. He said that at the time MP Norberto Espirito Santo should have taken other people in the government car with him to the funeral ceremony, rather than ride by himself, or he should have travelled on the minibus with the other MP's.
Commenting on the incident, Vice-President of the National Parliament Jacob Fernandes said that before accusing someone of something it is important to have concrete facts. He said that the reaction of MP Norberto is normal, and is something that occurs in parliaments all over the world. He explained that this kind of behaviour is not contrary to any parliament regulation, and that he does not believe the problem between the two MP's will become any worse. (TP)
Marconi population impede MNEC construction
It is reported that the population of Marconi village in Fatuhada yesterday obstructed the work of the Chinese company working on the construction project for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation building, complaining that the Ministry reneged on its agreement to provide employment on the project to the people of Marconi. According to spokesperson for the local population Domingos dos Santos Suriano, the Ministry and the local population discussed the matter with the Ministry in June and September and agreed that the 21 families who were required to vacate their land to allow for the building of the Ministry would be given employment priority in the clearing of the land for the building. These families were promised that in exchange for the land which they had been using to grow crops, the Ministry would not be providing compensation but would instead prioritise the relevant persons in future work opportunities related to the construction of the MNEC building. Suriano said that the problem for them is not so much that they have not been provided with work on the construction of the building, but that the agreement that they made with the Ministry was not honoured. He said that if his local population do not receive a response within three days, they will build a fence around the concerned land, and that they are prepared to die if the police shoot them. (TP)
Lobato: Don't Hurt People's Feelings
Speaking at the closing ceremony of the PNTL Master Trainer Course for 25 PNTL officers, facilitated by UNPOL, at UNOTIL HQ in Dili on Monday, Minister of Interior Rogerio Tiago Lobato appealed to PNTL officers not to hurt people's feelings or threaten them with guns.
SRSG Sukehiro Hasegawa, DSRSG Anis Bajwa, UNPOL Senior Police Adviser, Saifullah Malik, PNTL General Commander, were among others, participated in the event. According to Lobato, PNTL officers some times do not use guns properly. They, he said, behave as authorities who know everything and act brutally towards people. "I always stress that the aim of using force by the police is to uphold law and order. If the police act brutally towards people, then their actions are considered crimes. They should be held accountable for such actions," Lobato added.
On behalf of the Government and PNTL, Lobato thanked UNOTIL, particularly UNPOL SPA Saifullah Malik for the initiatives taken in conducting the course, which was funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). He hoped that for future training courses, there was a need for human rights training. SRSG Hasegawa stated that PNTL has achieved considerable progress through the trainings provided by UNPOL. With intensive trainings offered, Hasegawa hoped that PNTL officers could enhance their capacity in matters of law and order in Timor-Leste. (STL)
Ex-Militia HMP released
It is reported that the Court of Appeal yesterday released an ex-militia with the initials BG (25 years) from the militia group Hametin Merah Putih. It is reported that the reason that his name is not included in information concerning perpetrators of the 1999 Crimes Against Humanity (sic). The case has been undergoing investigation for approximately one month, with BG reporting to the police several times during that period. In the same decision, the Judge at the Court of Appeal maintained the decision of the District Court that two other former HMP members were indeed suspected of involvement in Crimes Against Humanity in 1999. The three were arrested recently when they entered Timor-Leste territory from West Timor. (TP)
Commission E supports Marathon Event
Interim President of Commission E for Education, Youth and Sport in the National Parliament Francisco Geronimo has said that Commission E fully supports the plan of CONTL, the Government, Human Rights and the Athletics Federation to hold a marathon on 10 December. He said that this is an excellent initiative which will put Timorese athletes on the world stage. He said that Commission E does not have any funds to support this activity, but that all that they can provide is moral support. He further explained that Commission E wants to work more with the government to create the conditions whereby Timorese athletes can enter into regional and international events. (TP)
1. Disturbance in the National Parliament: TVTL reported yesterday that there was a disturbance in the National Parliament during the plenary session.
2. Unreturned goods: The General Commander of PNTL, Mr. Paulo Martins, was reported as affirming that PNTL has not returned goods belonging to Mr. Lee Wong Ong due to an alleged connection with narcotic case, although the court has already decided that the goods should be returned to Mr. Ong.
3. EDTL Officials: It was also reported that officials at the Timor-Leste Electricity (EDTL) met with Prime Minister Alkatiri to discuss the uncertainty of their contracts and workplace safety issues. The Vice Minister for natural resources, minerals and energy policy, Jose Texeira, was quoted as stating that the government will try its best to solve the problem.
4. UN Certificates: 25 members of the National Police (PNTL) and eleven UNPOL Trainers were awarded United Nations certificates after the completion of a five week Master Trainers course at UNOTIL Obrigado compound, TVTL reported. The certificates were awarded by the SRSG, Mr. Sukehiro Hasegawa. In his speech, the TV station reported, Mr. Hasegawa stated that there is no late or early in the process of learning, but that it is an important process of everyone. Meanwhile, Interior Minister, Mr. Rogerio Lobata, was reported as asserting that it is time for Timor-Leste to congratulate the United Nations for its role in establishing PNTL.
5. Illegal Fishermen: A number of six illegal Indonesian fishermen were reported to have been captured and detained by PNTL in Pante Makassar area of Oeccusse district. The fishermen reportedly came from the Indonesian province of Sulawesi.
6. Ana Pessoa meets Local Leaders: It was also reported on TVTL that the Minister for State Administration, Ana Pessoa had an official meeting with Chefe de Sucos and Concelho de sucos in the village of Triloka, Baucau sub-district, Baucau. The meeting was reportedly taking place with the aim of hearing directly from the local leaders on their activities and challenges they face.
National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]