Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review July 29 - 31 2006
[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the
east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed from below.]
UNOTIL Daily Media Review
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international
sources
Daily Media Review
Saturday 29, Monday 31 July 2006 National Media Reports
PNTL Should Maintain Impartially: Barris
Minister of Interior, Alcino Barris has appealed to members of PNTL not to
favour groups and political parties, as impartiality is important to maintain
law and order. Last Wednesday and Thursday Barris travelled to districts of
Oecussi, Bobonaro and Manufahi together with the representative of European
Union, and the international forces. He added the Ministry of Interior is
currently working on the program for the reintegration of PNTL officers and to
assist those who will not rejoin the PNTL. (TP)
Head of Village Rejects Reconstruction
The Head of Village from Bidau said the fifteen small trading shops along the
road in Suku Bidau; Lecidere would not be reconstructed according to the
decision of the authorities. Jaime da Silva Soares, the chefe sucu of Bidau said
the population couldn’t build houses as the area is a state owned property and
he asks the population to respect the decision. Soares added one team from the
government will conduct research on the area referred and he had already
submitted a report to the sub-administrator to collect data and pay the people
who had lost their goods as a result of the burning. He added the houses along
the road belong to the State therefore the area would be cleaned up and replaced
with gardens according to government plans. (TP)
Timor-Leste Still Needs GNR
Prime Minister Ramos-Horta said the demands by the protesters for the
withdrawal of the Portuguese elite police, GNR is not justifiable because the
people making these demands want to commit violence against the defenceless
innocent people. Ramos-Horta said GNR will continue in Timor-Leste due to their
good work and he appealed to the population to maintain calm and not provoke
each other and allow time for the international community to proceed with the
investigation (of the 28 April cases) and for the Prosecutor General to keep an
eye on the justice as demanded. He also appealed to youths with bad intention
stressing the population have suffered too much since April up until now and the
State does not tolerate burning and killings therefore he said youths with such
bad intention should think twice. The Prime Minister also appeals to stop the
protest as it is destabilizing the country adding that Timor-Leste belongs to
all and its name has sunk in the international community due to the recent
violence.
In a separate article Brigadier Mick Slater said if small groups want to
destabilize the country they would have to face the international forces from
four nations, adding the troops will try to work with the youths and convince
them the nation needs strong youth to carry the country forward. On the
detention of Alfredo, Slater said he was detained due to the weapons he had in
the house and the protest in favor of Reinado had to be stopped because they did
not have the authorization from the government. (DN, TP)
Indication of Corruption on Execution of State Budget
MP Alexandre Corte-Real, member of Commission C of the Parliament in charge
of Economy and Finance said the State quarterly budget for 2005/2006 between
January –March, has indication of corruption because most of the projects have
not been completed but the report says 85% of the budget have been executed.
Corte-Real cited as an example the project of the Airport, which has been
claimed as completed but in reality half of it still not complete and he says
that, worse, more money has been allocated for the mentioned projects for the
new budget for the fiscal year 2006/2007. (TP)
Border Market Scheduled For Operation By September
The meeting between Timor-Leste Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta and the
President of Indonesia, Susilo Yudhoyono resulted in an agreement to resume the
border market operation and implementation of border pass for families living
close to the border between the two countries. The Prime Minister also told the
media during a press conference on Friday that the Indonesian President also
supports the World Bank project to rehabilitate the road between Oecussi and
Motaain. The Minister also said many Indonesians have shown interest in
investing on the Timor Oil exploration. (DN)
RTTL news headlines 28-07-2006
Horta returns from first PM overseas trip
The Newly sworn-in Prime Minister Jose Ramos Horta returned from his first
overseas visit as PM to Indonesia and Malaysia on Friday. Speaking at a press
conference upon arrival, PM Horta stated that he had held a friendly meeting
with the Indonesian President in which they agreed a border demarcation and
border passes regime to be implemented by August. Commenting on the
demonstration to free Major Alfredo Reinado by some youths, Horta called on the
youths not to threaten the state and the government. Among the banners at the
demonstration was one reading “Alkatiri + Horta = no different.”
Alfredo Reinado serves preventive detention
Following the hearing at the international detention center Caicoli, seven of
the men arrested with Major Alfredo Reinado were set free. Reinado along with
thirteen of his men, meanwhile, were put under preventive detention. RTTL
reported that Reinado and his men were charged with illegal possession of
weapons and in connection with a shooting incident in Fatuahi on 23 May. Reinado’s
lawyer, Benevides Correia, told journalists that among those detained with
Alfredo were some F-FDTL petitioners. Rejecting the criticism that the
international forces, particularly the Portuguese GNR, had acted unfairly,
Australian Brigadier Mick Slater stated that Alfredo Reinado was arrested for
breaking the law of Timor-Leste.
International Media Reports
E Timor rebel leader faces attempted murder charge
Last Update: Friday, July 28, 2006. 5:35pm (AEST)
By Anne Barker
One of the key rebel leaders behind East Timor's recent violence has been
charged with attempted murder. Major Alfredo Reinado was arrested on Tuesday.
Major Reinado led a band of about 20 military police officers into the mountains
behind Dili in late May, in support of the nearly 600 soldiers sacked from East
Timor's army earlier this year. It was their sacking that sparked the recent
months of unrest. Major Reinado and his men were involved in a gun battle with
police on May 23 in which two people were killed. Australian soldiers arrested
him and 20 other men on Tuesday and seized a quantity of illegal weapons. He has
been charged with several offences including attempted murder and embezzlement
of military property.
Prosecutors say 13 of his men also face charges, but the remaining seven have
been released. (ABC online)
National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor
Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF)
Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations.
UNOTIL Public Information Office - END –
Back to August menu
May
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu