Subject: ABC: Opposition wants audit of forces' training in E Timor
September 3, 2006. 3:23pm (AEST)
Opposition wants audit of forces' training in E Timor
The Federal Opposition says the Government should undertake an urgent audit
of Australian supported training programs for East Timor's military and police
forces.
Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer is flying to Dili tonight and is
scheduled to discuss security issues with the East Timorese President and Prime
Minister tomorrow.
Mr Downer says he will use the visit to reinforce the message that the
country must be responsible for its own future.
"We don't want to leave the East Timorese with a view that they don't
have to take responsibility for their own country and their own actions,"
he said.
"They have to understand that it's not the Australian Defence Force or
the Australian Federal Police or the secretary-general of the United Nations in
his representative, who at the end of the day are responsible for East Timor -
it's the East Timorese."
Australian troops are working with East Timorese authorities to help track
down more than 50 prisoners, including rebel leader Alfredo Reinado, who escaped
from a jail in Dili on Wednesday.
Labor's Kevin Rudd says Mr Downer and the Defence Minister should review the
training of East Timorese forces.
"[They need] to conduct an immediate and urgent audit of the adequacy of
the police and defence training programs in [East] Timor," he said.
"Plainly they've failed hugely in the past and if we're to fix this
problem in the long term, those two forces have to be put back in a proper state
of repair."
Border security
Meanwhile, a newspaper report in Indonesia says authorities have stepped up
security at the border with East Timor to prevent Major Reinado from entering
Indonesia.
"The Indonesian embassy in Dili has asked us to be alert and conduct
monitoring so that Alfredo and his friends do not cross over into
Indonesia," Colonel Ediwan Prabowo, who heads military security at the
border, told the Koran Tempo newspaper.
Colonel Prabowo, who could not be immediately reached on Sunday, was quoted
as saying that border troops were now reinforced by soldiers and police, and
residents along the border had also been asked to report anyone crossing the
frontier.
Major Reinado was arrested last month on charges of weapons possession.
International troops discovered the rebel leader had nine hand guns in his
possession, despite promises from his group that they had surrendered all their
weapons to Australian soldiers in June.
In May, Major Reinado led a group of 600 deserting troops and was accused of
sparking civil unrest, including clashes among rival security forces and gang
wars on the streets that killed 21 people.
The violence prompted the deployment of an Australian-led international
peacekeeping force.
-ABC/AFP
Back to September
menu
August
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu