Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 8 September 2006
Daily Media Review Friday, 08 September 2006
National Media Reports
Commission Mandate Extended
The Notable Commission mandate has been extended until 30 October 2006 to
complete their work. Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta made the decision to extend
another 60 days to allow the Commission to complete its work, which had been
stagnant since May due the crisis. According to Pedro da Costa, the Commission’s
spokesperson the extension would help reactivate the contacts with the
petitioners in order to get further information. He said the Commission would
guarantee their safety for any information they wish to present, as they do not
have sufficient information. He encourages anyone wishing to present their
complaints on the issue of discrimination within F-FDTL to contact the
Commission. (TP)
We Will Protect Major Alfredo: Eduardo
The community leader of Ermera District, Aduardo de Deus, also known as Dusae
said the population will protect and conceal Major Alfredo Reinado until justice
and truth are in place. Dusae said the youths from the 10 districts would
protect Reinado and wait for the truth and justice of those involved in the
crime adding they want a fair justice procedure. He said the youth in Ermera is
holding a small activity in Gleno today (8/9) to ask the international forces
not to proceed with their search for Alfredo and his members. They also do not
want members of F-FDTL to travel to the 10 districts especially Ermera. The
population has rejected the presence of three members of the national armed
forces who visited that area with the international forces According to Timor
Post, three members of F-FDTL are working with the international forces and went
to Ermera to try to speak and win the sympathy of population but were asked to
leave. Dusae said members of F-FDTL would be allowed to return to that district
only after the problem of discrimination within the institution is resolved. (TP)
Four Injured Following GNR Attack
The population of Aldeia 30 Agosto in Comoro has expressed anger against the
international forces, GNR, for attacking and shooting in that area right into
the homes of the population. The incident occurred around midnight on Wednesday
and according to Baltazar Bartolomeu, his younger brother was injured when GNR
members shot into the house from the front door and hit his brothers. He said
following knocks on his front door, he opened the door and was slapped on the
face when he tried to question the presence of the police force. He said the
loud noise scared all those inside the house including his pregnant wife who
woke up crying not understanding what was happening. Barlolomeu said his two
brothers who had come to Dili to sell coffee had their hands tied and were
taking to the airport roundabout with other youths by the GNR who started
interrogating and punching them. The two young men were later released. Baltazar
Bartolomeu said his house door, window including his small shop were destroyed
by the international force during the assault. Dismayed by this incident he went
to GNR Headquarters in Caicoli to present his complaints but was told by a GNR
sergeant to go and complain somewhere else. He is a pre-secondary teacher at in
his village. (TP)
Appointment Of Acting Police Commissioner and DSRSG
Suara Timor Lorosae today (8/9) published the information released by UNMIT
on the appointment of Acting Police Commissioner Antero Lopes and the nomination
of DSRSG Reske-Nielsen. Both documents were release by UNMIT Public Information
Office on Wednesday. (STL)
International Media Reports
120 troops to head for East Timor
Brendan Nicholson - With REUTERS September 8, 2006
AS AUSTRALIA announced it was rushing a 120-strong infantry company to head
off a feared escalation of violence in East Timor, NATO has called on nations
fighting in Afghanistan to send more soldiers there to help defeat a resurgent
Taliban. The decision to strengthen Australia's military presence in East Timor
was announced in Parliament yesterday by Prime Minister John Howard. Mr Howard
said the recent escape of dissident Timorese army officer Alfredo Reinado and
"56 other hardened criminals" had escalated tensions. The deployment
of frontline troops will be balanced by the withdrawal of others in supporting
roles. Mr Howard said 130 Australian Defence Force logistics, medical and
support personnel would be brought home shortly and would be replaced by
commercial contractors. Australia already has about 930 ADF personnel in East
Timor and about 180 members of the Australian Federal Police. Mr Howard's
announcement was made as Fijian Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase, on an official
visit to Canberra, told the Prime Minister that as a regional
"superpower" Australia had a responsibility to help maintain security
and good governance. "Australia is the superpower of our Pacific
region," he said. "With this special thing comes special
responsibilities. It is natural that sometimes your role will be criticised but
I can tell you, however, that Fiji believes Australia's contribution is
positive." NATO's commander of operations in Afghanistan, General James
Jones, said yesterday that the NATO alliance had been caught by surprise by the
intensity of the continuing Taliban offensive. He urged allies to provide
reinforcements including several hundred additional troops, more helicopters and
transport aircraft. Australia is in the process of sending more than 400
soldiers to Afghanistan in a reconstruction taskforce who will work with Dutch
troops under the NATO umbrella. Several NATO soldiers have been killed in fierce
fighting with Islamist Taliban guerillas since the alliance extended its
peacekeeping mission to the south a month ago. The US Marine general said that
while some violence was predictable, "we are a little bit surprised at the
level of intensity". NATO was also concerned that the insurgents were
standing to fight and not relying on their traditional hit-and-run tactics, he
said. British NATO troops in several outposts have come under siege from Taliban
fighters. Mr Howard took the opportunity of a joint media conference with Mr
Qarase to hand in his "deputy sheriff" badge. "Could I just place
on the record my rejection of the proposition that Australia has become the
sheriff of the Pacific," Mr Howard said. "I don't accept that
description at all, and we're neither a sheriff, a deputy sheriff, or a first
assistant sheriff of the region, or indeed an acting sheriff." (The Age)
PM announces more troops for E Timor
Thursday, September 7, 2006. 6:11pm (AEST)
Prime Minister John Howard has told Parliament an additional 120 soldiers
will be sent to East Timor in the next couple of weeks. The infantry company
from Darwin will reinforce the Australian contingent in Dili. There are about
930 Australian troops in East Timor, although 130 logistical and medical staff
are expected to return to Australia next week. Mr Howard says the increase is
necessary despite a lull in violence in the country. "In recent weeks the
level of violence has fallen in Dili thanks largely to excellent work by the
Defence Force and the AFP and other international forces but there is no doubt
that the escape of dissident FDTL Officer Reinado and 56 other hardened
criminals has escalated tensions," he said. "And as the Foreign
Minister said in this place on Tuesday, Australia is willing to help along with
other members of the international community." (ABC)
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES:
Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario
Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations.
UNOTIL Public Information Office
- END
Back to September
menu
August
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu