Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 28 September 2006

[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed from below.]

Daily Media Review Thursday, 28 September 2006

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office

National Media Reports

Return of F-FDTL Must Be Thoroughly Analyzed

MPs and President of the National Parliament have asked CPR-RDTL to thoroughly analyze the conditions of the National Armed Forces, F-FDTL, before they act in response to the current crisis. According to the MPs the mission of F-FDTL has been clearly defined in the Constitution and the demands of CPD-RDTL could lead to other major problems. CPD-RDTL has demanded that F-FDTL conduct special operations to stop the crisis. Their request has been presented to the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister and the Commander of F-FDTL. (TP, DN)

Former Latvia PM To Moderate National Dialogue

A team of Clube Madrid headed by former Latvia Prime Minister, Valdis Bircavs, will facilitate a national dialogue. The team arrived in Timor-Leste on Wednesday and will remain in the country until October 4. (TP)

Petitioners’ Concentrate To Participate In Meeting

Around 300 members of the 591 petitioners’ group have been concentrating in two areas namely Gleno and Aileu to participate in the next meeting with the Notable Commission. Interim spokesperson of the Commission, Pedro da Costa said as soon as the petitioners are gathered in the designated areas, the commission will start working on the calendar for the meetings. Da Costa also said F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak is ready to participate in the investigation. Still in relation to the petitioners’ case, Franciscou Lu’Olo Guterres, President of the National Parliament, said allowances for the petitioners would not be the solution; the solution, said Guterres, would be the result of the investigation of the Notables Commission. (DN, TP)

Portuguese Minister Pledges Continued Support

The Portuguese Minister for State and Interior Administration, Antonio Costa arrived in Dili on Wednesday for a three day official visit amidst disturbances by some youth groups in the streets of Dili. A GNR source told Lusa news agency that the recurrent incidents in various parts of Dili are related to the visit of the Portuguese Minister. Upon his arrival on Wednesday, the Minister said Portugal will continue to support Timor-Leste in the area of security. (DN)

RTTL News Monitoring Report

28 September 2006

8 People reported during clashes

Two groups of youths clashed yesterday in Luro-mata which resulted in eight people being injured. These casualties were taken to Dili National Hospital for treatment. Speaking to journalists, the director of the Dili National Hospital, Antonio Caleres Junior said that the number of patients this week was greater than last week. In addition, some casualties were reportedly taken to Bairopite Clinic. The Director of this clinic Dr. Daniel told the media that the average number of the patients who visited this clinic was 4 to 5 daily.

More than 200 weapons still in the hands of civilians

Speaking to the media after the meeting with the petitioners in Gleno-Ermera, PM Dr. Jose Ramos Horta confirmed that based on information from various sources, there were more than 200 weapons that have not yet been handed over to the International Forces. He appealed to everyone to continue to assist the government and the International Forces to search for them. On the same occasion, questioning whether or not the weapons of F-FDTL are still in civilian hands, he affirmed that according to information from the commander of F-FDTL, Brig. Gen. TMR all weapons of this institution have been collected.

USA Ambassador Completes Mandate

Speaking to journalists after a one hour meeting with the President of RDTL, the USA Ambassador to East Timor, Mr. Joseph Rees reportedly said that he will go back to Washington to assume a new post as his duty period here will end soon. He then explained that the meeting aimed to thank the President and the East Timorese people for having worked together with him for four years while in residence in East Timor. The Ambassador also planned to meet with the Prime Minister. While waiting for the appointment of the new Ambassador, Mr. Garry Gray will be the interim ambassador.

After the Youth National Dialogue held in Oe-Cusse, 24 to 27 September 2006, the youth representative read the joint declaration which was named ‘Lifao Declaration of National Youth Unity’.

There were seven statements in the declaration entitled ‘Support the Role of East Timorese Youth in Seeking the Immediate Solution to the East Timor Crisis.” It was read by the youth representative of Ermera. Following is the statement:

1. We, East Timorese Youth are committed to safeguard and firmly maintain the integrity of RDTL as a nation and its territory and sovereignty

2. We, East Timorese Youth firmly defend the constitution of RDTL and its symbols.

3. We, East Timorese Youth declare that there is only one nation called ‘Timor-Leste’, and one people only called ‘Povo Maubere’

4. We, East Timorese Youth loathe the divisionism and regionalism

5. We, East Timorese Youth loathe and are disgusted by discrimination in whatever institutions, in whatever manners as well as in whatever matters.

6. We, East Timorese Youth are committed to promote our culture and religion

7. We, East Timorese Youth defend rights and justice. Justice must be applied to every one without exception.

International Media Reports

Thailand promises swift return to democracy during address to UN debate

27 September 2006 ­

Thailand will end martial law and return soon to democracy and, in the meantime, its interim constitution will provide full protection of civil liberties, the country’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations told the General Assembly today, a week after a coup took place in the South-East Asian nation. Khunying Laxanachantorn Laohaphan <http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/61/pdfs/thailand-e.pdf>told the Assembly’s annual high-level debate that he was grateful that last week’s events had been peaceful and that “the situation has returned to normal within hours.” Promising that Thailand “will emerge as a stronger and more vibrant democracy,” Mrs. Laohaphan said the military leadership will ensure there is “a swift return to democracy with a definite timeline. “An interim constitution will be promulgated in the coming days, with the military being placed under the constitution once more. This interim constitution will provide full guarantees for civil liberties and rights under the supervision of the National Human Rights Commission,” she said. Mrs. Laohaphan said a civilian government is likely to be installed within days, followed by the end of martial law, the start of constitutional reform and eventually general elections within the next 12 months. “It is the hope of the Thai people that as a result of constitutional reform, independent organizations to be re-established under the new constitution will become more effective in carrying out their tasks in checking and monitoring the work of the executive branch of government.” Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had been scheduled to address the high-level debate last week, but his appearance was cancelled following the coup.

Meanwhile, Timor-Leste’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, José Luis Guterres, told the Assembly earlier today that his Government was making progress on its programme to establish security, reform defence institutions, reconcile conflicting groups and promote good governance and economic development following the deadly violence that swept the country earlier this year. “As political leaders of a young nation we acknowledge that not all decisions made were right and some created discontentment and were the source of demonstrations in April, May, June and July of this year,” he said. Mr. Guterres said the Government will conduct a national dialogue “to recapture the confidence lost by our State institutions” during the unrest, adding it is also proceeding with reform of the national police force. He added that Prime Minister José Ramos-Horta yesterday met with representatives of armed forces members who were dismissed earlier this year ­ in the move that sparked much of the violence ­ “to once again find a solution which is in conformity with the laws of Timor-Leste and is acceptable to the various parties involved in this situation.” (UN News Centre)

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES:

Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office


Back to September menu 
August   
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu