|Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 17
[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (firstname.lastname@example.org) have been removed.]
Wednesday, 17 January 2007
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING THE UN INNTEGRATED MISSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS
National Media Reports
I Do Not Accept TT's Monopoly System: PM Horta
Prime Minister Ramos-Horta has affirmed he does not accept Timor Telecom's (TT) monopoly system, hence is waiting on the result of a study by the World Bank and further discuss this matter in the Council of Ministers. Ramos-Horta said the Parliament should establish a law in relation to this issue. The Minister touched upon this matter following concerns raised by the Director of East Timor Development Agency (ETDA) Palmira Pires during the inauguration of the ETDA Trading Centre, that it is expensive to use internet in Timor-Leste.
PM Horta said the agreement between the government and TT five years ago was under different circumstances. And since he is not in favour of monopolies he has requested the World Bank to do a study on this matter as well as the current taxation system. (DN)
MP Isac Testifies
On Tuesay MP Leandro Isac had to testify in the Public Prosecutor's Office in relation to the attach on F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak residence in Lahane on May 24, 2007 He said he had to answer to all the 10 questions according to what he witnessed and felt at the time. Isac also said he does not accept accusations made against him and that the court would make the final decision. (DN, TP)
Some Weapons Still In Alfredo Hands: Monteiro
Prosecutor General, Longuinhos Monteiro said that not all the weapons have been collect and about 15 pistols and 9 long weapons are still in the hands of Major Alfredo. Monteiro added that the Minister of Interior is starting to identify the whereabouts of the weapons and there has been progress and big reduction on illegal weapons. In the meantime, Longuinhos Monteiro said the case of Oan Kiak, who had been on preventive detention for the past six months has not yet been registered in the court because it is related to the May 25 and 26 crises. (STL)
Candidates For Presidential Elections
Following the presentation by PM Ramos-Horta for F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak's to be the candidate for next presidential election, Major Alfredo Reinado is one of the candidates proposed by the President of PMD, Hermenegildo Kupa and MP Leandro Isac. According to Kupa and Isac, Alfredo is the right candidate for the position of President due to his neutrality, the efforts to raise the national unity and defend the people who had been affected by the transgressors. MP Leandro Isac said if Alfredo accepts his proposal, he and his group are prepared to work to obtain supporters for him. Meanwhile MP Juliao Mausiri (PD) said Alfredo is still young to hold the post of President of the Republic and would rather see him continue in the armed forces and take be in charge of the institution later. (TP)
UNMIT Delegation Meet With Alfredo
Following his meeting with F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak in December, on 12/1 Major Alfredo met with a delegation from UNMIT, F-FDTL, NP, Government and representatives of region III in Ermera. Carlos da Conceicao de Deus said the meeting was a follow up to previous meeting as proposed by PM Ramos-Horta to try and find a solution to the crisis that emerged in the country. De Deus said Major Alfredo has asked for a decision to be made about his status and in order to resolve the problem Alfredo wants all the parties to search the truth and justice. (TP)
If Court Permits It's Not A Problem: Minister Sarmento
In response to concerns about the presence of some members of the National Defence Forces in the court in uniform and armed, Minister of Justice, Domingos Sarmento defended that it was normal and the court did not raise any problems about it. Sarmento said if the court, the judges and the President of the Court did not raise any problem why should the citizens make it a problem. He further said when the court made the decision on preventive detention for 3 members of the Defence Force, they were escorted by their own colleagues to the prison and this type of gesture shows that F-FDTL has goodwill in cooperating with the court to honour justice in the country.
Today Alfredo Will Come Down to Dili to Meet with Prime Minister Horta (Timor Post, 16 January 2007)
According to the plan, today (Tuesday, 16 January) Major Alfredo Alves Reinado, currently residing in Aifu, Potete village, Ermera Disrtrict, will come down to Dili to meet with Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta.
Major Alfredo Alves Reinado released this information to Timor Post through a phone interview on Monday, 15 January. In the meeting [with the Prime Minister], Major Alfredo said, there would be a discussion on how to resolve the crises.
Even though there has been a plan to come down to Dili to meet with Prime Minister Horta today, Major Alfredo said, it has not been clear whether it would be confirmed or not. This was due to the fact that he himself still waited for the confirmation from Minister who had just arrived from Philippines yesterday.
"It is not clear whether it is positive or not [about the meeting]. This is because Prime Minister has just arrived from Philippines, therefore I am waiting for his confirmation," Alfredo said. When asked about the transport means to be used to travel to Dili and with whom he would come, Alfredo stressed that he had not been clear on the matter since he still waited for the confirmation from Prime Minister Horta.
He added that the meeting would be as a follow-up of many meetings that had been held before. When asked about what would be the agenda of the meeting, Alfredo commented that there has not been any clarification on that. Therefore, [he said], he would know about it when the meeting was about to start.
Alfredo also underlined that after the meeting with Prime Minister Horta, he would also try to meet again with President of Republic, Xanana Gusmao.
On the other part, speaking to the journalists during a press conference, Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta who had just returned from Philippines yesterday said that he did not want to talk about other matters including the case of Major Alfredo. He only talked about the matters related to his visit.
Admitting the meeting with Xanana
On the other part, Major Alfredo admitted that he and President of Republic, Xanana Gusmao meet with each other last December.
According to Major Alfredo, he and President Xanana briefly met with each other. The meeting was not part of the agenda which had been scheduled. However, [he said], the two met with each other when the President participated in the "Halot Meik" Program in Same.
Through the mobile phone, yesterday the Military Commander said that he could not elaborate on the matters which he discussed [with the President] in the meeting at the time, since they only had a brief meeting, and there were not many items [to discuss].
When Timor Post confirmed [the information] with the Chief of Staff for the President of Republic, Agio Pereira, he said that it was not true. According to Agio, it was merely a rumor since President Xanana Gusmao never had a meeting with Major Alfredo Alves Reinado at the time.
"I am still having a meeting, but I just want to say that it is merely a rumor. President Xanana never had any meeting with Major Alfredo Alves Reinado at the time," Agio told Timor Post through a media officer of the Office of President at the Palace of Ashes, Caicoli, Dili yesterday.
He added that Major Alfredo and President Xanana Gusmao never had a meeting in December [last year]. Major Alfredo Reinado, [he said], only had the meeting with Commander of F-FDTL, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak at the HQ of F-FDTL in Tasitolu, Dili at the time.
RTTL news headlines
President Republic meets Diplomat
President Gusmao held a meetings with the e Diplomatic Corps yesterday and discussed about the role of UNMIT in the up-coming Presidential and Parliamentary elections. Xanana informed the diplomats that it was his last meeting he was conveying. The yearly meeting takes place every January so that the President of the Republic can brief the Diplomatic Corps on the political developments and the overall situation in the country.
Stop Subsidy to the Petitioners
The Ministry of Labour and Community Reinsertion has stopped the government subsidy to the petitioners due to the lack of cooperation by using knife to intimidate some staff of his department. Based on these facts the Council of Ministers decided to stop the subsidies for them. On December 26, the petitioners spokesperson, Salsinha Gastao sent a letter to the Minister of Labour and Community Reinsertion asking to stop the subsidy program.
Rumors of Political Interference on the judicial process
Prosecutor-General Longuinhos Monteiro rejects rumors of political interference on the judicial process case of Abilio Mausoko and Oankiak. Monteiro said there is no political intervention and the case of Mausoko and Oankiak is in process with Mausoko's case had already been sent to the Court. He added that further investigation is needed for Oankiak as he was involved in the shootings of some members of PNTL in front of the Office of the Ministry of Justice on May 25 2006,said Monteiro.
International Media Reports
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING
Back to January menu