|Subject: SMH: Call to raid treasury for integration
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:17:31 -0400
From: "John M. Miller" <email@example.com>
Received from Joyo Indonesian News:
Sydney Morning Herald 07/06/99
EAST TIMOR Call to raid treasury for integration poll
By MARK DODD, Herald Correspondent in Dili
The pro-Jakarta government in East Timor has ordered between 10 and 20 per cent of its budget to be set aside for propaganda and training to promote the integration cause in the ballot on self-determination - a move that breaches United Nations-brokered accords signed by Indonesia.
A copy of the document, obtained by the Herald and signed by East Timor's Governor, Mr Abilio Soares, last month, orders local government officials to contribute cash for a campaign to ensure success for the integrationists in the UN-organised referendum on August 8.
"To all authorities, it is expected they contribute between 10 and 20 per cent from the development funds allocated for the year 1999/2000 for socialisation [propaganda] of autonomy to be carried out by a team working with all related authorities," the document says. The UN spokesman Mr David Wimhurst said yesterday that the UN office had seen the document and was verifying its authenticity. This correspondent was shown what was claimed to be the original document by a prominent Dili-based human rights official. "We are aware of the document. We will be dealing with it at an official level," Mr Wimhurst said. The orders, if genuine, were illegal and a clear breach of the UN-brokered agreement on East Timor signed on May 5.
The document says: "It should be generally known that in a few months - exactly August 8,1999 - there will be a referendum for the people concerning the result of the three-party agreement concerning the special status for broad autonomy for East Timor.
"In connection with this, all our resources and potential we possess should be speedily mobilised for the optimum possibility of success."
On Saturday, the UN chief in East Timor, Mr Ian Martin, complained of breaches to the East Timor accords, which forbid government officials from involvement in their official capacity in the run-up to the referendum.
"There has been premature campaigning, some of which appears to have breached the requirement that East Timorese Government officials may campaign only in their personal capacity without recourse to pressure of office," he said.
"Serious reports of violence and intimidation mainly attributed to militia elements continue to be received by the United Nations."
In related developments, the respected Dili-based Foundation for Legal and Human Rights (Yayasan HAK) has branded as "legal nonsense" the reorganisation of several hard core pro-Indonesian militia groups into civil defence units.
Under the East Timor accords, all militia groups are required to be disbanded before the August referendum.
However, now at least three groups, Aitarak (Thorn), Besi Merah Putih (Red and White Iron), and Team Alpha have reorganised as civil defence units which will work closely with police on law enforcement.