Subject: International inquiry team in East Timor will have five experts

also: UN chief seeks extra funds for Timor mission

International inquiry team in East Timor will have five experts

GENEVA, Oct 1 (AFP) - A team of five experts will conduct the international inquiry into East Timor requested by United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan, a UN spokesman said Friday.

"We'll have some five high-level experts to take part in the commission of inquiry. Some names have been mentioned but these people are being contacted," UN Commission for Human Rights spokesman Jose-Luis Diaz said.

Diaz said he hoped to make an official announcement of the team members by late next week or early the following week.

Diaz added that the Commission's team will have "an adequate representation of Asian experts" drawn from Indonesia's Asian neighbours.

An estimated budget of 500,000 US dollars, financed through voluntary donations, will be needed for the international inquiry into alleged atrocities in East Timor committed by both pro-Jakarta militiamen and the Indonesian military.

Technical experts will be sent to the East Timorese capital of Dili starting next week.

Annan Thursday asked UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson to set up a team to work in cooperation with Indonesia's national commission on human rights, Komnas HAM.

The UN secretary general requested a final report from the team by year's end.

The Indonesian government on Wednesday rejected an international mission, saying Komnas HAM "has already set up a fact-finding commission," but the UN has decided to proceed.

Indonesian authorities then asked for the Commission's cooperation with its own investigation, a proposal which was accepted.

Meanwhile on Friday, a spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said the situation of the East Timorese in West Timor refugees camps was "appalling."

"In West Timor, the refugees' conditions are still appalling, especially in Atambua where the people who fled or have been deported are living in very squalid camps," said UNHCR spokesman Kris Janowski.

A team of UNHCR observers visited six sites earlier this week where about 130,000 refugees now live. Janowski said people are living in three of the camps without housing.

He added that UNHCR experts would like freer access to the camps, where they are now accompanied on every visit by Indonesian officials.

-----------------

UN chief seeks extra funds for Timor mission

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 1 (AFP) - Secretary General Kofi Annan has asked for 38 million dollars to finance the current phase of UN operations in East Timor, his spokesman's office said Friday.

This is a preliminary estimate of the needs of the UN mission to East Timor (UNAMET) for three months, on the assumption that 50 percent of its equipment was destroyed after the August 30 ballot on self-determination.

The figure does not cover the needs of the Australian-led multinational force in East Timor.

Nor does it include the UN's requirements when it assumes full authority over East Timor after the Indonesian parliament rescinds the annexation of the territory, expected early next month.

In a report to the budget committee, Annan asked the UN General Assembly to increase the appropriation for Phase One of UNAMET's mission, from May 5 to August 31, from 52.53 million dollars to 54.43 million.

He noted that 47.27 million dollars of that had already come in as voluntary contributions; the biggest donors were Japan (10.11 million), Portugal (10.0 million) and Australia (6.50 million plus 3.44 million dollars in kind). The United States had donated 9.00 million dollars.

Annan requested 38.04 million dollars for Phase Two, which runs from September 1 to November 30.

The Security Council has already approved an increase in the number of UN civilian police in East Timor from 280 to 460 and of military liaison officers, from 50 to 300.

Annan said he planned to increase the number of international UNAMET staff from 242 to 316 while reducing local staff numbers from 3,645 to 498.

The chief of UNAMET, Ian Martin, told the Security Council on Friday that 58 UNAMET personnel had returned to Dili, the capital of East Timor, since the multinational force began arriving there on September 20.

At the height of the post-ballot violence, UNAMET evacuated to Darwin, northern Australia, almost all of its staff and hundreds of East Timorese who had sought refuge in its compound in Dili.

Annan said his budget estimates were based upon the assumption that 50 percent of the vehicles, communication and workshop equipment, office furniture and data-processing equipment supplied to UNAMET for Phase One would need replacing.


Back to October Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu

Search this site                 powered by FreeFind


If your browser does do not support forms use: Search   Site Map   What's New

Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/