1. I will abide by the UNAMET Code of Conduct for Observers.
2. I will be responsible to the International Federation for East Timor's Observer Project (OP) Working Group and its decision-making processes.
3. I will, to the best of my ability, collect accurate and detailed information on the consultation process and on the human rights situation in East Timor, and provide this information to the relevant people within the IFET Observer Project.
4. The IFET Observer Project will formally provide regular information and reports to the officials of UNAMET, the media and governments. However, I personally will not undertake to provide such information unless requested to do so by the IFET Observer Project Executive Body in East Timor. I understand that I will be dealing with UNAMET personnel in the field and that much informal communication may be involved. In this, I will be guided by the IFET Observer Project principles and mandate.
5. I will not make formal representations to the Indonesian military and police except as requested by the Executive Body. In my informal dealings with the military and police I will be guided by the IFET Observer Project principles and mandate and by the UNAMET Code of Conduct for Observers.
6. Unless specifically requested or appointed by the Executive Body, I will speak to the media only about particular incidents which I have witnessed. I will not make more general comments to the media or in public statements, or give descriptions or assessments of the overall situation in East Timor or the progress of the Consultation. In all public statements and statements to media I will be strictly bound by the IFET Observer Project's principles and mandate.
7. I will undertake specific tasks within the IFET Observer Project -- e.g. liaison with media or UNAMET, or assignment to a particular town or village, providing accompaniment for individuals -- as requested by the Executive Body, assuming these requests are within reason.
8. I understand that my role is to help ensure that a free and fair vote can take place. I will not, by words or actions, express any opinion as to a preferred outcome of that vote.
9. I will wear identification clearly showing me to be part of the IFET Observer Project, and, as appropriate, an observer accredited by UNAMET.
10. While in East Timor I will work exclusively for the IFET Observer Project. I will not work on other projects (including for humanitarian aid agencies, for a newspaper or wire service, etc.) as this may compromise the objectives of the project.
11. I will not use physical force against any person.
12. I will not use abusive language or threatening gestures.
13. On my return home, in all my public statements and statements to the media on the subject of East Timor I will continue to be strictly bound by the IFET Observer Project's principles and mandate.
14. I understand that breaking the code of conduct, threatening the safety of any person, or threatening the successful operation of the Observer Project, may result in my removal from the Project. If requested to dissociate myself from the Observer Project by the Executive Body, I will do so, and will not continue to use IFET Observer Project identification.
15. If requested to leave East Timor by the Executive Body, I will do so.
16. I will be bound by this code of conduct until such time as both
the Project Assembly and the International Steering Committee declare the
IFET Observer Project to have concluded.
IFET-OP Observer Participant
Return to IFET's Main Page