|
The following is the tenth
in a series of monthly reports prepared by the Robert F.
Kennedy Memorial Center for Human Rights-Indonesia Support
Group providing updates on developments in West Papua. The
RFK Center has monitored and reported on the human rights
situation in West Papua since 1993 when Bambang Widjojanto
received the annual RFK Human Rights Award.
Summary/ Contents:
- Analysis: Yudhoyono Presidency and Cabinet Hold
Mixed Promises for Papuans
- U.S. Government Unwilling to Correct False Claims of
Indonesian Military "Exoneration" in Killing of American
Citizens at Freeport
- Indonesian Military Launches Major Destabilizing
Operation, Killing Three Civilians and Displacing
Thousands in West Papua Highlands
- Papuans Press for Resolution of Self-Determination
Question
- Expected New Indonesian Military Chief Has Declared
Murderers of Papuan Leader "Heroes"
- Pressure on Journalists in West Papua/Foreign
Journalists Barred
- Papuan Protesters Reject Appointment of Non-Papuans
to Key Positions in West Papua
- Foreign Mining Firm Considers West Papua Project
Despite Environmental Concerns
Analysis: Yudhoyono Presidency and Cabinet Hold Mixed
Promises for Papuans
The October 20 inauguration of new Indonesian president
Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and his cabinet appointments on
October 21 offer mixed promises for improving the human
rights situation in West Papua. Yudhoyono campaigned on a
promise of acting quickly to peacefully resolve tensions in
the province and his relatively progressive positions with
respect to Papuansí basic rights won him overwhelming
electoral support in West Papua. That said, the fact that he
lacks a strong political party base suggests that his
ability to move policy initiatives will depend heavily on
civil society support and the organizing power of NGOs. The
Indonesian militaryís recent escalated violence in West
Papua, described in the third item below, further suggests
that elements of the military will continue to resist
strongly any efforts at effective reform.
Yudhoyonoís appointments to the positions of Coordinating
Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Defense
Minister, Minister of Justice and Human Rights, Environment
Minister and Attorney General bode well for good governance
and enhanced government respect for human rights and
environmental protection. One particularly noteworthy
appointment is Abdurrahman Saleh to the position of Attorney
General. Saleh is widely viewed as a strong and effective
human rights advocate and served previously as director of
the Indonesian Legal Aid (LBH) Instituteís Jakarta branch
office.
However, Yudhoyono has appointed to key positions
controversial individuals, with poor records with respect to
respect for Papuans and other minority groups. Cabinet
Minister Sudi Silalahi was responsible for sending the
violent Islamic militant group Laskar Jihad to West Papua in
recent years. State Secretary Yusril Ihza Mahendra, who
served as Justice Minister in the Megawati Administration,
also is viewed as supporting an extremist Muslim agenda.
In the meantime, U.S. business interests are wasting no
time in courting the new president and his administration.
ExxonMobil executive and U.S.-Indonesia Business Council
Chairman Robert Haines will lead a U.S.-ASEAN Business
Council mission to Jakarta December 5-9, 2004, to meet with
Yudhoyono and cabinet members. One hopes for a similar level
of access to Indonesian government officials for those
working on human rights promotion, good governance and
environmental protection.
U.S. Government Unwilling to Correct False Claims of
Indonesian Military "Exoneration" in Killing of American
Citizens at Freeport
Indonesia's new defense minister, Juwono Sudarsono, said
October 21 that he would resume efforts to restore military
ties with the United States, which were partially cut in
1999 because of Indonesian military (TNI) abuses during East
Timor's independence vote. The efforts of the new defense
minister coincide with indications from the U.S. State
Department that it is anxious to resume cooperation with the
Indonesian military, including provision of military
training under the International Military Education and
Training (IMET) program as well as sale of military
equipment through the Foreign Military Financing (FMF)
program.
The Bush administration is seeking to resume ties with
the TNI, but the U.S. Congress has opposed this move,
insisting that IMET and FMF for Indonesia should be held in
abeyance until there is accountability for TNI rights
violations, notably in East Timor.
Sudarsono, in remarks to the media, acknowledged
difficulties in realizing this new cooperation due to
Indonesia's failure to meet international demands for
transparent and fair judicial proceedings against military
officers guilty of rights abuses. Departing U.S. Ambassador
to Indonesia Ralph Boyce appeared to confirm the importance
of Indonesia's failure to hold senior TNI officials
accountable, noting that Jakarta had "missed its
opportunity" to restore military ties by failing to make its
soldiers accountable for abuses in East Timor. In August,
the Indonesian Supreme Court overturned the convictions of
four Indonesian military officers, meaning that no members
of the TNI have been found guilty of rights abuses in East
Timor.
The TNI appears to be making more progress in efforts to
evade widely alleged responsibility for
another crime involving the killing of an Indonesian and two
U.S. schoolteachers working at the New Orleans-controlled
Freeport copper and gold mine in West Papua in August 2002.
Following a statement by U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft
accompanying a June indictment of one Papuan in that
incident, the TNI declared itself "exonerated."
The new Yudhoyono administration has echoed this claim:
Minister Sudarsono has told the media that he believes the
U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had decided that
the TNI was not to blame for the incident.
Despite senior U.S. Government private assurances to
U.S.-based human rights activists and Congressional staffers
that the FBI investigation of the murders is ongoing and
that the TNI in fact has not been exonerated, no U.S.
Government official has stepped forward publicly to correct
the TNI misrepresentation of the U.S. Government's
perspective on the murders.
Indonesiaís Special Forces Launches Major
Destabilizing Operation, Killing Three Civilians and
Displacing Thousands in West Papua Highlands
A senior Papuan Christian leader reports that extensive
Indonesian military operations in the vicinity of Mulia,
capital of the Punjak Jaya region in West Papua's central
highlands, has forced thousands (perhaps as many as 5,000)
of local residents to flee into the forests. The TNI
operations, which began in mid-October, have also led to the
closure of 22 churches in the area. Most or all of these are
Baptist churches, which tend to predominate in the area. One
pastor and two civilians were killed.
The military operations, which are being carried out by
Kopassus, Indonesiaís notorious Special Forces, were
launched following the mid-October killing of five people,
allegedly by the local OPM (Free Papua Organization) leader,
Goliad Tabuni. Baptist church leader Socrates Yoman, the
principal source for this report, notes that local people
are suspicious that the culprits in the killings were not
those serving under Tambouni but rather were from one of two
local militia groups organized by the TNI.
Also, according to this same source, the TNI has demanded
substantial financial support from local officials to
underwrite the military operation now getting underway.
Analysts believe that the conflict may have been
initiated by the TNI in order to forestall a promise by
newly elected President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to resolve
tensions in both West Papua and Aceh through peaceful means
within the first 100 days of his administration. Such a
reduction of tensions in West Papua would undermine the
security pretext for the TNI's continued lucrative
deployment in West Papua, according to analysts.
In a possibly related development, the chief of police in
West Papua, Timbul Silaen (indicted by the UN Special Crimes
Court in East Timor for his role in the 1999 carnage in East
Timor) has refused to permit a major gathering of three West
Papuan religious organizations, including
the West Papuan Baptist church. The ongoing TNI operations
in the Central Highlands would likely have been one point of
discussion on the agenda of that meeting.
Papuans Press for Resolution of Self-Determination
Question
Papuans have appealed to the international community to
fulfill broken promises and respond to long-standing Papuan
aspirations for self-determination.
Traveling in New Zealand, prominent Papuan human rights
advocate John Rumbiak told a regional peace and security
conference in Christchurch in October that Pacific countries
were ignoring the brutality of Indonesian armed forces
against Papuans. Rumbiak told the assembly that Papuans seek
the right of self-determination of which they were deprived
after the United States and United Nations facilitated
Indonesiaís formal consolidation of its control of the
territory in 1969 through the now-discredited UN-supervised
ìAct of Free Choiceî (AFC).
Rumbiak described Indonesiaís takeover as a sacrifice
made in the name of Pacific security after the fall of
Vietnam and "fear that Indonesia was heading towards
communism." Rumbiak said that since the takeover, which
lacked the consent of Papuans, Jakarta's rule has meant
systematic brutalization of the Papuan people. Indeed, a
recent study by the Allard K.
Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinic at Yale Law
School concluded that the Indonesian government and military
have carried out crimes against humanity, possibly
constituting genocide, against West Papuaís indigenous
population. An estimated 100,000 people have died as a
result of the conflict.
Rumbiak stated that during the past four years, the
Indonesian military presence in West Papua has grown from
3,000 troops to about 30,000. He also noted that the
Indonesian government was failing to protect West Papua's
environment and the health of Papuans. He noted that West
Papua suffered the highest rate of HIV infections and the
highest rate of infant mortality in Indonesia, amongst the
highest in the world. The suffering of the people was all
the more tragic given the fact that West Papua had the
richest mineral resources of any Indonesian province.
Papuans within Indonesia have echoed Rumbiak's appeal,
calling on newly elected President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
to enforce the Special Autonomy Law for Papua to resolve the
prolonged issues in the province. A meeting of Papuan
activists and leaders in a mid-October conference convened
by the National Forum for Human Rights Concerns in Papua
(FNKHP) urged President Yudhoyono to implement Law No.
21/2001 on special autonomy for West Papua and reconsider
the division of the territory into several provinces.
Reverend Karel Phil Erari, who co-chairs the Forum with
Yudhoyono, stated that the organization had "entrusted
Susilo to fully enforce the law to help resolve the issue.
Otherwise, the friction between Jakarta and Papua will only
get worse." (Yudhoyono won majority votes in West Papua
during both rounds of the presidential election.)
Outgoing President Megawati issued Presidential
Instruction No. 1/2003 to implement Law No. 45/1999 on the
division of West Papua into three provinces, effectively
undermining the Special Autonomy Law for that province. The
decision to divide the province, now stalled with only
one disputed new province created, was never vetted with the
Papuan people. Megawati also refused to establish the Papuan
People's Assembly (MRP) as required by the law as the
highest law-making body in the province.
The Papuan Legislative Council has requested the
Constitutional Court to annul the presidential instruction.
Erari described the contentious presidential instruction
and the establishment of a new province as "a betrayal of
the Special Autonomy Law, which stipulates that the
formation of new provinces requires approval from the MRP."
Also in October, in a bolder demand, some 100 people
protested in the West Papua provincial capital, Jayapura,
demanding that Yudhoyono hold another self-determination
referendum in West Papua in order to afford Papuans the
opportunity to exercise their right to self-determination
effectively denied during the 1969 AFC. The protesters
insisted that the AFC, via which Indonesia formally
incorporated West Papua, was not democratic and should be
repeated.
This characterization corresponds with the view of scores of
parliamentarians and non-governmental organizations that
have petitioned UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to review
the UNís role in the AFC.
Expected New Indonesian Military Chief Has Declared
Murderers of Papuan Leader "Heroes"
In the waning hours of her Administration, former
Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri sought to replace
TNI military chief General Sutarto with TNI Chief of Staff
Ryamazad Ryacudu. Ryacudu is well and unfavorably known to
Papuans. Following the conviction of TNI personnel in what
the Indonesian court described as the "torture murder" of
Papuan political leader Theys Eluay in November 2001,
Ryacudu described the murderers as "heroes" for their
cold-blooded killing of the peaceful advocate for Papuan
self determination.
Megawatiís action created one of the major controversies
to face incoming President Yudhoyono, who does not recognize
the move while the parliament has approved it.
Pressure on Journalists in West Papua/Foreign
Journalists Barred
In addition to growing military and police pressure on
human rights activists in West Papua (reported in the
September issue of the RFK West Papua report, available
online at: www.rfkmemorial.org),
reliable sources who recently have visited West Papua report
that journalists working in West Papua face growing
intimidation. The growing pressure is exerted, in part, by
their editors and limits the range of issues they are able
to cover. Corruption and violation of Papuans' rights by the
military or police are particularly sensitive issues. The
editors, themselves facing pressure from the TNI and
Government, have warned their staffs that if they report on
certain events, they could be considered by the military to
be sympathizers of the small armed Papuan resistance, the
OPM.
Intimidation takes various forms, including constant
requests from the police to act as witnesses in trials as
well as more direct intimidation from officials and from
TNI-organized and directed militias. Some journalists have
been victims of suspicious car accidents and often receive
anonymous threatening telephone calls directed at them or
their families. In more blatant cases, journalists have been
followed and sometimes chased out of towns where they are
conducting investigations.
As a consequence of this pressure, journalists in West
Papua are often hesitant to report concerns raised by NGOs
and other civil society activists. Similarly, they often
fail to report about land
disputes and illicit narcotics activities in which military,
police and civilian officials often are involved directly.
In addition, it was learned recently that foreign
journalists are barred from going to West Papua (and Aceh)
altogether. The decision to ban their access, which was made
last month by fifteen government agencies, is supposedly for
ìsecurity reasonsî and will be ìuntil further notice.î
Papuan Protesters Reject Appointment of Non-Papuans to
Key Positions in West Papua
An October review of autonomy issues in West Papua
sparked protests by indigenous Papuans over the appointment
of civil servants hailing from outside the territory. The
protest concerned the inauguration of the head of the Papua
Fisheries Office and the Finance Bureau at the Papua
Secretariat.
Protesters, during the inauguration ceremony on October
11, complained that the appointments contradicted promises
of regional autonomy by failing to make Papuans the masters
of their own
land. West Papuaís governor said that the provincial
administration would continue to fill strategic posts with
both Papuans and non-Papuans, based on their achievements
and intellectual criteria.
In additional criticism, Budi Setyanto, director of the
Institute for Civil Society in West Papua, said the
implementation of regional autonomy in West Papua had not
met expectations, noting that the provincial budget's
allocation this year reserved most funding for payment for
civil servant and councilor expenses (73 percent) leaving
only 27 percent for public services.
Foreign Mining Firm Considers West Papua Project
Despite Environmental Concerns
British-Australian mining firm BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP) is
considering development of a controversial open-pit nickel
mine at Gag Island in West Papua.
Dumping of tailings from the project and other activities
associated with the massive excavations could threaten one
of the world's most important coral reefs. This potential
damage to the local ecology has sparked intense opposition
to the project from Indonesian environmental groups
and Papuans.
Notwithstanding the environmental issues involved, BHP
may benefit from a decree signed by former President
Sukarnoputri which declared that mining contracts signed for
areas designated as protected national forests would be
allowed to proceed, despite a 1999 forestry law banning
mining in those areas.
While its intentions regarding Gag Island remain unclear,
BHP has sought to reassure critics
by pledging that it would "not mine in World Heritage
areas," nor deposit tailings through deep sea dumping. |