|Subject: east timor headlines/12July2001
Bahasa Indonesia Headlines Thursday 12 July 2001
1. 201 Muslims choose to be Timor Lorosae citizens
1. 201 Muslims choose to be Timor Lorosae citizens (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page headline)
Two-hundred and one Muslims currently in the Alor Mosque in Dili’s Kampong Alor suburb stated their intentions yesterday to be Timor Lorosae citizens.
Arham, the spokesperson for residents in Alor Mosque brought up this issue at an open dialogue with former CNRT President Xanana Gusmao at the Public Hall in Kampong Alor.
“We have stated our intentions earlier that we wanted to be citizens here. During the time of Interfet, Pak Xanana had been here to visit us and we stated our intentions to him then. We had 201 people in the mosque who wanted to treat Timor Lorosae as their new country,” he said.
The spokesperson said there had been many incidents lately which attempted to discredit the mosque residents.
“We have been accused of sheltering provocateurs, militias and Indonesian soldiers in the mosque. But I stress there were none of these people on our premises. Those that are staying in the mosque are ordinary people,” stressed Arham.
Arham said that in order to be good citizens of Timor Lorosae, the Muslim residents would have to adhere to all laws in the country.
“If we break the laws, we are willing to be tried by the legal system here,” he said.
2. Muslims want prayer times to be aired on Radio UNTAET (Timor Post, Page 2 lead)
Muslims in the Alor Mosque in Dili’s Kampong Alor suburb want prayer times to be aired on Radio UNTAET because of the recent time change in the country. This request was made to former CNRT President Xanana Gusmao and UN Transitional Administrator Sergio Vieira de Mello.
Mauklau Muhammad Salleh, an Alor Mosque resident, said previously they had been following Indonesian time. But when Timor Lorosae’s time was brought forward by two hours from Indonesian time, they started experiencing difficulties.
“The problem is with dawn and dusk prayer times,” said Muhammad Salleh.
“We especially have problems with dusk, because we seem to start prayers before the sun has set,” he said.
“We urge Radio UNTAET to air Muslim prayer times in accordance with the regulation to respect minority religions,” he said.
“Even if all the prayer times [five times a day] cannot be aired, we would, however, appreciate the airing of only the dusk prayer time,” he added.
3. Today court hears Dr Sergio Lobo’s case (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page second lead)
Dr Sergio Lobo will be brought before the Dili District Court today after being detained for two days by Civpol. He will be charged for allegedly assaulting his wife and causing damage to the Hotel Audian.
This was stated by the Dili District Court’s Investigating Judge Sergio P.D. Quintas.
Dr Sergio was arrested by Civpol on Tuesday.
Judge Quintas said Civpol had already completed its investigations.
“The arrest of Dr Sergio Lobo was done in accordance with the law and has followed proper procedure," he said.
Prosecutor Vicente Fernandes e Brito said the court would be taking into account Dr Sergio’s first offence where he assaulted his wife in Dare several months ago.
4. Luis Carrilho: The law does not recognize ‘public figures’ (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page third lead)
“All people are equal in the eyes of the law and no one is above it, regardless of whether he or she is a renown public figure,” said Civpol spokesperson Luis Carrilho yesterday.
Carrilho was commenting on Dr Sergio Lobo’s arrest by Civpol.
“I understand that he is an intellectual and a medical doctor. But I stress that no one is above the law and the same applies in Timor Lorosae,” he said.
“The judiciary is independent and it will not bow to pressure from any institution or influential people.”
Carrilho said in Civpol’s investigations on Dr Sergio Lobo, a special skills investigator was used.
Carrilho also said Civpol was seeking five people involved in damaging property at the Hotel Audian, where Dr Sergio Lobos’s wife was allegedly assaulted.
5. Ramos-Horta: I did not leave Fretilin on purpose (Suara Timor Lorosae, Page 11 lead)
Transitional Foreign Minister Jose Ramos-Horta was open at the Fretilin Congress yesterday when he addressed delegates and explained his departure from the party.
“I did not leave Fretilin on purpose. The step was taken because I had to find the best way to strengthen our struggle overseas,’ he said.
The Nobel Peace Laureate admitted that he was also influenced by the independence movement’s change in strategy in 1989, which placed emphasis on a united front.
“This made me adhere to Xanana Gusmao’s call for unity. Xanana had earlier made the decision to leave the Fretilin Central Committee in order to lead Falintil,” said Ramos-Horta.
Ramos-Horta told the Congress that on 5 December 1975, the Fretilin Central Committee decided that he, Mari Alkatari and Rogerio Lobato had to leave the country and head to Australia.
“Our orders were clear. We were to get as much diplomatic support as possible from the international community”
Ramos-Horta also paid tribute to those who continued the independence fight in the country.
“Let’s not forget the Timorese civil servants in the Indonesian bureaucracy and the Timorese serving in the Indonesian armed forces. They were willing to fight against their colonial masters from within. Let’s also not forget Mario Carrascalao, who for two terms as governor [of East Timor] was also involved in the independence fight.”
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/