|Subject: East Timor Press Review 2 August
East Timor Local News
Summary of local media monitoring 2 August
· Suara Timor Lorosae ran a front-page story in which Foreign Affairs Minister Jose Ramos-Horta was quoted as saying that East Timor’s young democracy will not be able to survive without continued international assistance.
· The head of the Dili Tribunal, Aderito Tilman, was quoted as saying that that Border Control Department does not respect verdicts handed down by the court, and that the rule of law is generally weak in East Timor.
· The Program Manager of Yayasan Hak, a local human rights NGO, is quoted as saying that Sergio Vieira de Mello is not suitable to replace Mary Robinson because he does not have an activist background.
· The Coordinator of the CPD-RDTL, Antonio Aitahan Matak, is quoted as saying that the government should follow its own development model and not just simply adopt those used by other countries.
· East Timorese security officials in Ainaro district say they are hampered because of the poor state of communications with the capital.
· The Timor Post reported that President Gusmão’s letter calling for former Governor Jose Soares not to be convicted by the Ad Hoc Tribunal was read aloud at the tribunal.
· An accident in which a foreigner driving a taxi fled after his vehicle was struck by a motorcycle in Dili received widespread coverage.
[Drafted by Ghelly Corte-Real, UNMISET Spokesperson’s Office]
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/