Subject: East Timor Press Review 12-13 November 2002
East Timor Press Review
12-13 November 2002
· Timor Post front page carried a photo of the signed agreement on the transfer of security. The caption reads: “Last week UN Police transferred its responsibility to TL Police Services. It is now the obligation of TLPS to maintain the security of the new nation.”
· This daily reported on 2 members of Falintil-FDTL involved in last Friday’s clash with the police who appeared at Dili District Court on Monday.
· The Secretary General of the Democratic Party, Mariano Sabino Lopes of PD, said in a special interview with Timor Post, that after 6 month in power, the government has not yet addressed the needs of the people. He also added that laws have not been established for the districts and sub-districts.
· The Timor Sea agreement signed by Prime Minister, Mari Alkatiri and his Australian counterpart John Howard on 20 May this year was submitted to the National Parliament on Monday to be reviewed.
· Members of Parliament voted on Monday for a new vice-secretary to replace the vacancy left by Rosalia Corte-Real who has been appointed as vice-minister of education. Leandro Isac, Member of Parliament from PSD party, said voting on the replacement had been unfair and illegal because the parliament rules said there is no second vote allowed. [First voting on a proposed Fretilin candidate did not get the number of vote even from the members of the party] reported Timor Post in its Tuesday edition.
· Timor Post reported that the government has already spent US $90,000 on an industries location survey on the districts. [STL says the government will use US$90,000 on industries location survey in the districts]
· The Secretary General of Federação Football Timor-Leste, Amandio Araujo Sarmento stated last Monday that a representative of the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA), Datto Paulo is scheduled to arrive in Timor-Leste tomorrow, 13 November. The purpose of his visit is to see and facilitated football in the new country, reported Timor Post.
· This daily also reported that a German football coach came to train local football coaches. Timor-Leste football coach, João Minta said all the participants liked the all training provided by the German coach.
· In today’s edition, Timor Post front page carried a photo of participants of the 12 November massacre commemoration. The photo also shows a poster of those allegedly responsible for the Santa Cruz massacre on 12 November 1991. (General Wiranto, Indonesia president, Suharto and others). The caption reads: thousands of youths carry flowers to Santa Cruz after the flag raising in front RDTL’s office.
· The Prime Minister said the commemoration of Santa Cruz massacre this year is really important to remind the young people about the history of this country. Mr. Alkatiri also stated that Timorese parents must teach their children about the history of Timor-Leste. Mr.Alkatiri also announced that the government will build a historic monument inTimor-Leste honoring those killed in this massacred as a way of passing this history on to the new generation.
· Timor Post reported that thousands of youths celebrated a mass and raised the national flag to half mast in remembrance of those who were killed on 12 November 1991.
· Also on its front page Timor Post reported on Brigadier General, Taur Matan Ruak’s statement that Timor-Leste Police Service and Falintil-FDTL must work together. “We have been meeting to discuss way on how to strengthen our relation between Falintil-FDTL and Timor-Leste Police Service.”
· UN Police Commissioner, Peter J. Miller told The Timor Post that the recruitment criteria of TLPS for the UN mission in Sierra Leone, Africa, follows the international criteria, established by UN Headquarters in New York.
· Suara Timor Lorosae front page reported that the position of the Vatican on Bishop Belo has upset him that he is planning to resign from his post, has upset him. The Vatican wants a re-organization of the catholic institution in Timor-Leste.
· STL also reported and covered the same stories about the 11th anniversary of the Santa Cruz massacre.
· Suara Timor Lorosae editorial focuses on the 11th anniversary of the 12 November massacre in Santa Cruz, Dili. The editorial points out that the government of Timor-Leste must step up efforts in working together with the Indonesian government to investigate the events of 12 November 1991. The editorial says that to date it is not known the exact number of people killed in the massacre and the whereabouts of their bodies. It suggests that the State stop the rhetoric on the role of the youths in Timor-Leste but find ways to involve them in the development process of the nation. Just having a monument to commemorate 12 November massacre is not enough. It should be commemorated with a conscious in carrying the justice and being active in the democracy process and above all respect the rights of all people living in this country.
· An article in the Tetum page says a few victims of the 1999 violence are claiming that the reconciliation process promoted by the government has been focusing only on the militias. It is reported that recently a reconciliation meeting was called by the government and did not include the victim’s families.
· Security was tight at Dili District Tribunal yesterday when 2 F-FDTL members involved in last Friday’s clash appeared at the court for a hearing. This daily reports that unlike any other day, which the court building is attended by a lot of ordinary people, yesterday [Monday] it was full of TLPS and the Task Force.
· In the Portuguese page of Timor Post, Lusa reported that the Dili District Court ordered the 2 F-FDTL members allegedly involved in last Friday’s clash to a preventive prison. According to police sources the 2 defence force member will remain in the prison awaiting further investigations as well as the identification of other suspects of the attack. The two police officers attacked last Friday are recovering in the United Nations hospital in Dili.
· The Muslim community in Dili would like to invite the two Bishops to participate in the end of Ramadan ceremonies.
· It is reported that $ US90.000 dollar will be used by the government to establish industries in five districts.
· The government of Japan will donate US$60,000 dollar for the government of Timor-Leste to be used for repatriation of Timorese refugees from West Timor returnees in the next 3 years.
· It is reported that Commission of Reception Truth and Reconciliation held national public hearing for two days (11 and 12 November). The victims of past human rights violations had the opportunity to tell their stories.