|Subject: East Timor Press Review 3
East Timor Press Review 3 September, 2002
· Timor Post’s front page reported that Border Control Officers have threaten to call a strike if Dili District Tribunal goes ahead with a court process on goods confiscated by their department about 4 months ago.
· MP Alexandre Corte-Real (FRETILIN) says that due to internal conflict within UDT, some of its members are now joining his political party.
· MP Clementino Amaral (KOTA) has justified the declaration made by his party member, Manuel Tilman on members CPD-RDTL was not done in the name of the party.
· Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri stated that the government would soon control the prices in the markets. Mr. Alkatiri said the government has requests business owners to balance their goods to suit market prices.
· MP Francisco Xavier was quoted as saying that ASDT and FRETILIN will from now on celebrate together the founding dates of the two parties on 11 September.
· MP Eusebio Guterres (PD) noted that the recruitment of doctors to study in overseas has to go through a public process in order to avoid corrupt practices in this country.
· CPD-RDTL General Coordinator, Aitahan Matak has announced that he will take court action against MP Manuel Tilman (KOTA) for calling members of his group CPD-RDTL animals, in particular crocodiles.
· TP reported that United Nation International Children Fund (UNICEF) has donated computers to the Department of Education and Culture.
· Secretary of State for Labour and Solidarity, Arsenio Bano announced that about 5,000 East Timorese will join the labor force overseas, namely, Malaysia, Korea and Singapore.
· Ainaro district Administrator has requested a Domestic Violence Campaign in that district.
· It is reported that Aileu residents would like to elect their district administrator through an electoral process.
· Suara Timor Lorosae’s front page reported that FDTL Chief of Staff, Mayor Lere Anan has requested Captain Amico to reconsider his resignation from FDTL. Amico has considered resigning from his post citing that there are too many problems within Falintil-FDTL and he does not want a bad record on his name.
· It reported that Indonesians are entering the enclave of Oecussi without passports or authorized documents.
· Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports, Armindo Maia stated that his department is seeking more scholarship for Timorese students.
· The Head of Dili Hospital, Americo Santos reported that around 40-45 people receive treatment at the hospital every week.
· Judge Manuel Exposto has been quoted as saying that an investigation needs to be done for the Becora prison escapees. In the same article ETPS Commissioner, Paulo Martins stated that only 23-prisoners are still at large.
· Vice Minister of Health, Luis Lobato said he is ready to accept the demands of the dead man’s family who he accidentally hit with his car in June.
· STL reported that the Floating Resort Boat has not yet notified the Taxation Office about its activities.
· FALINTIL Izolado and Kolimau 2000 have build their headquarters close to each other in Turiscai, Mindelo, and Osnaka in Same district.
· A CPD-RDTL Delegation met with President Gusmão to discuss about the commission as discussed in the last meeting with the President and its members. Aitahan Matak said the decision for the establishment of 2 commissions has not been accomplished yet.
[Drafted by UNMISET Spokespersons Office]
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/