|Subject: East Timor Press Review 4
East Timor Press Review
4 September, 2002
· Suara Timor Lorosae front page reported on the credentials presented to President Gusmão by the new South Korea Ambassador to East Timor, Byong-Hyo Lim. The event took place yesterday at the President’s office.
· It is reported that the Five-Nations attending the Regional Security Seminar Options for East Timor are from the United States, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Thailand and Indonesia. Discussions will be held on the regional security options for East Timor between 4/9-7/9 at Timor Hotel in Dili.
· It is claimed that people in Dili are not caring at all to maintain the city’s cleanliness even though the government had already established a rubbish compound and are cleaning the town, reports STL.
· The head of Dili Morgue, Mateus Araujo Martins said that at least up to 4 bodies are kept in the local morgue daily for up to 3 days because the deceased person’s family travels too far to collect the bodies. STL reported that in many cases the nuns have to collected the bodies for burial.
· MP, Anotonio Ximenes (PDC) has observed that many Timorese leaders in the government are claiming to be the ones who has contributed for the struggle of East Timor. But many are holding foreign passports. So in times of trouble they are the first to leave the country, because they have the money and the right documents. They forget the people who have really suffered. This is what is happening here in the country right now. Mr. Ximenes wants to remind government officials that they are there to serve the people not the opposite.
· The Secretary General of Hati Foundation, Octavio Soares rejects allegations made by Antonio da Silva that the foundation has made millions of dollars by selling Timorese orphan children in Kupang, West Timor. Antonio da Silva claims to be Hati Foundation Coordinator in Kupang but Ocatvio Soares has also denied the latter.
· Prosecutor General, Longuinhos Monteiro said that the goods delivered by the border control officers and accompany by him to Dili District Tribunal yesterday did not make it to its destination. Border control officers telephoned him later claiming the goods were not delivered because there were too many journalists waiting on the tribunal doorsteps. Mr. Longuinhos has now refused to accompany the officers with the goods to the tribunal reported Timor Post.
· TP also reported on the credential presented to President Xanana Gusmão from the new South Korea ambassador to East Timor, Byong-Hyo Lim. The event saw the presence of Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Jose Ramos-Horta.
· TP reported that East Timor Red Cross (ETRC) will operate in all the districts including Oecussi Enclave says the Director of ETRC, Gusmão Dias Ximenes.
· It has been reported that a naked thief has broken into a house in Vila-Verde and Tuana-Laran in Dili taking with him some cash and gold jewelleries.
· It is reported that IMF disagrees with the government in controlling the prices household commodity.
· Minister of Transport, Communication and Public Works, Ovidio de Jesus Amaral announced that in 15-months the telecommunication network would be functioning in the 13 districts.
· It is claimed that 3000 people who have joined FRETILIN in a ceremony in Ermera last week are not from UDT party. They were FRETILIN sympathizers.
· Meanwhile UDT President, João Carrascalão, stressed that those people who join a political party must be of political interest and not of material interest.
· A former member of a foundation named ‘Coração Imaculada de Maria’ said during the Indonesian occupation members of this organisation was addressed as Colimau 2000 because they were part of the church and were seen as against Indonesia presence in East Timor. This person goes on saying that the current Colimau Group is against the church.
· Oscar Lima, Director of PT Surik Mas Loro Sae informed that many foreign investors have traveled to East Timor to look into investments in the country. Mr. Lima added that many of these investors already did a survey to see the feasibility of investments here.
· East Timor Micro Finance Bank will officially open a branch in Ermera district in two weeks time.
Please Note: An article on Timor Post yesterday on Domestic Violence should be as follows:
*ETPS Commissioner Paulo Martins, announced that Ainaro will be the first district to start with a domestic violence campaign adding that the campaign will go to all the districts. Speaking at a meeting on Monday, with representatives from UNDP, Fokupers and the advisor on Gender and Equality for the Prime Minister, Domingas Alves, Mr. Martins stressed that domestic violence has increased in the country. He says it is important to hold the campaign to stop violence against women. Ainaro Administrative Officer had previously requested a campaign on domestic violence in that district. Domestic violence reports show it is low in Ainaro district. *
[Drafted by UNMISET Spokespersons Office]
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/