|Subject: Local Media Monitoring - June 19,
LOCAL MEDIA MONITORING
1. According to UNMISET press release received yesterday said that the flooding in the East and South Districts of Timor-Leste were resulted in 2 people death and 3 missing. More than 600 people without home and have also caused widespread damage to crops, livestock and roads. The Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General of the United Nations in Timor-Leste, Mr Sukehiro Hasegawa, held a emergency disaster response coordination meeting this morning with the Acting Prime Minister, Mrs Ana Pessoa, the Minister of Health, Dr Rui Maria de Araujo and the Interior Minister, Mr Rogerio Lobato as well as development partners. Mr Hasegawa briefed them on how the UN is responding to the emergency situation. At the moment, the flooded are still cut off roads, but the situation is manageable.
2. STL covered the same main news stories as appeared in yesterday's Media Monitoring. - Story about Col. Lere's resignation. - Story about martial arts' groups fighting in Colmera.
1. The Chief of Staff of the Falintil-FDTL, Col. Lere Anan Timor, told reporters that his resignation will happen if the Government does not address the issue concerning Veterans and former Combatants' living conditions. He said that when he resigns he would not hand his gun over to the Government.
2. The Secretary of State for Public Works, Mr Joao Baptista Alves, said that the heavy rain had caused 2 main bridges a fall of in Viqueque, as well as extensive damage to roads in the Sub District of Venilale, Ossu and Viqueque. Mr Alves pointed out that the collapse of Karau Ulun bridge will jeopardize land transport connections in Betano, Same and Natarbora.
3. In response to the Commander of Falintil-FDTL, Gen Taur Matan Ruak's appeal to build a heroes' monument, the Speaker of the National Parliament, Mr Francisco Guterres Lu-Olo said that he accepts Gen Ruak's appeal. He said, however, that the Parliament needs to set up a regulation regarding the criteria of a hero. Mr Lu-Olo said that these honored because who they had lost their life during the struggle for the liberation of their country will be honored as stipulated in the article 11 of the RDTL Constitution.
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/