Subject: Eurico's gambling club raided

Also: Indonesian police raid gambling den reportedly run by Timor militia boss

BBC Monitoring International Reports
August 12, 2004
LENGTH: 213 words


Jakarta: Tambora Metropolitan Sectoral Police, in West Jakarta, raided a number of gambling spots on Wednesday (11 August). One of the gambling spots that were raided belonged to Eurico Guterres, former commander of pro-integration militia in East Timor.

Police detained around 15 of Guterres's employees at the club, which is located in the Duri Utara neighbourhood in Tambora, and a number of gamblers were also arrested. Guterres himself came to the Tambora Sectoral Police after being contacted by police via one of his employees.

"As of 0600 (local time) this morning, Guterres and 15 of his employees were still being questioned by Tambora Police," said a police officer contacted by detikcom on Thursday morning.

According to the officer, the raid was carried out based on information from the community that increasingly unsettling gambling activities were going on in the area. And that information revealed that this gambling club owned by Guterres was new and had not been operating for long.

"After receiving this information, the police carried out a raid last night. Guterres admitted that the gambling club was his," the police officer added. (Passage omitted)

Source: Detikcom web site, Jakarta, in Indonesian 12 Aug 04


Agence France Presse -- English

August 12, 2004 Thursday 4:49 AM Eastern Time

SECTION: International News

LENGTH: 287 words

HEADLINE: Indonesian police raid gambling den reportedly run by Timor militia boss


BODY: Indonesian police said Thursday they had raided a gambling den reportedly owned by former East Timor militia boss Eurico Guterres, who has been convicted of crimes against humanity in his former homeland.

Police raided the pinball parlour in West Jakarta's Tambora district Wednesday night and seized gambling machines, Second Sergeant Bambang told AFP. "I don't know who owns it," he said.

He said several people were arrested. Guterres was in the police station at midday Thursday but Bambang refused to say what he was doing there.

Guterres could not be reached for comment but the Detikcom online news service quoted him as admitting to reporters that he ran the parlour.

He said he was forced to turn to the illegal but phenomenally popular gambling business to support himself while undergoing judicial proceedings related to the East Timor case. However, he insisted he was opposed to gambling.

Guterres remains free while appealing his conviction for crimes against humanity related to East Timor's bloody 1999 split from Indonesia.

He was sentenced to 10 years by a Jakarta human rights court but a prosecutor announced last Friday that the sentence had been slashed to five years on appeal.

Guterres headed the Aitarak or Thorn militia which terrorized residents of the East Timor capital, Dili, ahead of a 1999 UN-backed referendum on independence.

Aitarak and other militias, along with the Indonesian military which created and armed them, killed at least 1,400 people in East Timor as part of widespread campaign of destruction, the United Nations says.

East Timor has been independent since May 2002, following a period of UN stewardship.


Support ETAN, make a secure financial contribution at

Back to August menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu