Subject: Timor-Leste International and Local Media Monitoring September 8,
The content of this Email does not necessarily reflect the views of the World Bank. Not for Publication.
Timor-Leste International and Local Media Monitoring September 8, 2004
3 houses burned by former Falintil commander
The newspaper reports that a former Falintil commander for region IV, Jose Ribeiro, known as Samba Sembilan (9), burned down three houses belonging to members of his family. According to the newspaper, the houses located 12 kilometres west of Dili had been empty for the past 3 years. The newspaper reports that Mr Ribeiro said that the reason for him to burn the houses was because nobody was occupying it, and he did not know the owners whereabouts. Mr Ribeiro said that it is frightening to see houses without anyone inside, so it is better to burn it". Mr Ribeiro said that he burned the 3 houses in anger after learning that his nephew, Anatacio Ribeiro, who had been taking care of them, left without informing him.
L-7 wants stability
The newspaper reports that a former Falintil commander, Cornelio Gama (L7), said he made the decision not to proceed with the planned meeting with Prime Minister, Dr Mari Alkatiri, and the police Commissioner, Paulo de Fatima Martins, because he received information that a demonstration was scheduled for that day in support of the government. Mr Gama said that it was good that the meeting did not go ahead, because it could have ended in a huge fight between his supporters and the demonstrators. Mr Gama said that in a way it was a victory for him, because he wants stability for Timor-Leste.
Danger in manipulating demonstrations, says Pinto
A political observer, Julio Tomas Pinto, said that the demonstration held on Friday, was done purely to express the group's support of the current government, and indicated that it had political maturity and would not have caused any problems. Mr Pinto said that it would be dangerous if the demonstration had been manipulated, and that otherwise it would only create an ethical dichotomy in Timor-Leste.
Men arrested in relation to Police officer's death
The National Police Force in the sub-district of Maubisse arrested two people suspected of involvement in the death of the Maubisse sub-district police commander, Domingos Ressoreicão de Araujo, on August 13. According to the newspaper, the two suspects, whose identities have not been released, were arrested at the location of the killing at 15:00hrs on Sunday at the house of the late captain Araujo. The newspaper reports that both said that they were related to captain Araujo, and were expecting to receive corn seeds from Care International. Meanwhile the National Police commissioner, Paulo de Fatima Martins, said that the investigation of commander Araujo's death is still in process.
Soldier arrested for drink driving accident
The newspaper reports that the Dili District Court sentenced a F-FDTL member for 30 days detention at Becora prison for allegedly killing Estevão Soares, another member of F-FDTL in Liquiça District on August 29. According to the newspaper report the accused was brought to Dili District Court by public defenders, Ivo Valente and Carolino da Costa, for the hearing process. The paper reports that the alleged culprit still carried signs of serious injuries to the head and feet, and showed regret and cried when the decision was read.
TL waiting for Kofi Annan, says Horta
The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Dr Ramos Horta, said that the Government of Timor-Leste is still waiting for the Secretary General of the United Nations, Kofi Annan, to make a statement on the results of the Ad Hoc Tribunal in Jakarta. Dr Horta said that the Government of Timor-Leste will only make a comment after the announcement is done by the Secretary General of the United Nations.
Four new credit cooperatives in Baucau
Today's edition of the newspaper reports that the Vice-Minister for Development and Environment, Abel da Costa Ximenes, said that the District of Baucau has benefited with four new credit cooperatives that the Government has opened in Suco Bukoli, Ostiko, Kaibada and Baucau Vila. The Vice-Minister said that small business can now borrow from the credit cooperatives to enhance their business not only in the districts but also to the sub-districts of Venilale, Laga and Vemasse.
Jose Filipe External Affairs World Bank, Dili Office
Support ETAN, make a secure financial contribution at etan.org/etan/donate.htm