|Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review 3 April
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
Daily Media Review
Monday, 3rd April 2006
Horta asks F-FDTL Battalion I to stay + PM Alkatiri will hold dialogue with Church
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Negotiations Jose Ramos Horta has appealed to all members of the F-FDTL in particular Battalion I in Baucau to continue to implement their duties as members of the Armed Forces and to maintain respect for the military hierarchy, so that they do not fall victim to the maneuvers of some people. Speaking at the F-FDTL Headquarters in Baucau on Friday, Horta appealed to the F-FDTL soldiers to join together in maintaining discipline and the principles of respect, leadership, and confidence in the military hierarchy. He stated that in his opinion people with grudges are trying to break up the F-FDTL, the State, and the people, as well as provoking instability in Timor-Leste.
In an informal meeting between Horta and Baucau Bishop Basilio do Nascimento held on Friday, Horta brought with him a message from the Prime Minister regarding a proposed dialogue that Alkatiri will hold with the Catholic Church in order to establish how the Government and the Church may cooperate in the preparations for the education budget, in particular concerning the payment of salaries to Catholic School teachers. (STL)
NP asks Commission B for verification on F-FDTL case + 9 petitioners released
The National Parliament has asked Commission B to conduct a verification of the F-FDTL case, so that the situation may be clarified in order to prevent further unrest in the community. Commission B has also just presented its report from its recent visit to Baucau, Lospalos and Suai districts, which stated that in order to strengthen stability in the country it is necessary to create the conditions which will guarantee this security. In particular, they recommended that the relevant Ministries focus their attention on the equipment needs of the Border Police. Nine members of the “F-FDTL petitioners” who were arrested on charges of assault on homes in the Tasi Tolu area last week have been released, as there was no evidence of their involvement in the incident. (STL, TP)
Population of Beto develop National Unity
The Minister of Interior Mr Rogerio Tiago Lobato said that “there is no east and because we all East Timorese citizenship” after he attended peace ceremony which organized by chief of Suco Comoro Mr Eurico da Costa de Jesus. Mr de Jesus, stated that national unity is important for development in this country and people should not believe rumors of west and east because it only divides people. On the same occasion, coordinator of Youth National Unity Suco, Beto Mr Jorge dos Santos, asked the Government to solve the F-FDTL petitioners as soon as possible. (STL)
Four demonstrators stage hunger strike Demand NP to solve issue of West and East
Four demonstrators staged a hungry strike in front of the National Parliament office last Friday and demand National Parliamentarian to solve the problem of west and east issue. Coordinator of hunger strike, Mr Vicente Reis, said that “ we ask our leaders to look at what is happening in this country right now and we don’t want to see people suffer anymore” People want to live in peace and harmony because 24 years of suffering is enough, Mr Reis added. (TP)
RTTL news headlines
Reis reacts to Xavier do Amaral
The Vice-Secretary General of FRETILIN, Jose Maria dos Reis has reportedly stated that he has released the documents that outline the behavior of ASDT President, Francisco Xavier do Amaral, of a past reaction to an accusation made by Xavier do Amaral against the members of FRETILIN. As reported in the local media, Xavier do Amaral had accused members of FRETILIN as traitors for electing Mari Alkatiri to be the party’s leader.
Internews rejects FM’s accusation
Internews held a press conference on Friday to reject the accusations made against the organization by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Jose Ramos Horta, in relation to news reports in some International media outlets about the situation in Timor-Leste. Speaking at the press conference, Internews representative, Sonny Inbaraj, stated that Internews had not sent any news to any media. Instead he was interviewed as a source. Nevertheless, Inbaraj claimed he never said that there were riots in the country, but rather he used the word “disturbances” instead. Meanwhile, speaking at the same place, the Head of Timor-Leste Journalists Association, Virgilio Guterres reportedly said that he agreed with the statement of Minister Horta, but that the Minister should not have accused Internews.
Perth firm eyes Timor oil field
A Perth-based company is looking at investing almost $500 million into the development of an oil field in the Timor Sea following the discovery of substantial reserves. Coogee Resources has been exploring the Montara Field, 600 kilometres north-west of Darwin. The company says it has come across an oil column that will lift its reserves in the region to 37 million barrels. Coogee Resources spokesman Andy Jacob says the company hopes to start producing 30,000 barrels a day from early 2008.
"The Timor Sea's been producing oil for 20 years now," he said. "It has been very prolific in the past. "Over the last few years it's been fairly scarce... so our discoveries and others nearby have added to new impetus to the region and so our feeling is that we're at the right place at the right time." Mr Jacob says about 50 new jobs would be created. (ABC)
National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office