Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review 2 August 2006
[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed from below.]
Daily Media Review
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
Daily Media Review
Wednesday, 02 August 2006
National Media Reports
TL’s Brigadier General and Former Minister Presents Statement
In relation to the allegation of distribution of weapons to civilian groups, the former Minister of Defense Force Roque Rodrigues and Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak presented their statements to Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro and international prosecutor Luis Mota Carmo on Tuesday. After their statements were heard, Monteiro told the media that “both of them only gave statement in relation to the weapons distribution and they answered all the questions we gave them”.
MP Rui Menezes from PD party asked all ministers from the old cabinet under the leadership of Mari Alkatiri to be investigated in relation to the creation of militias and distribution of weapons to civilian groups which resulted in the displacement of many people who continue to live in makeshift camps. “For this new government to gain credibility, an investigative process must be carried out with the old members of the cabinet” said Menezes. (TP, STL)
Government Program Not Systematic
President of KOTA party, Manuel Tilman, told the media, following a discussion of the national budget at the Parliament, that the government programs presented by Prime Minister Ramos-Horta are not systematic and create confusion between budget and the programs. “There was no clarification from Prime Minister Ramos-Horta about the allocation of the budget and which programs would be implemented,” said Tilman. In response to Ramos-Horta declaration that his program is a continuation from the old cabinet, Tilman asked why, then, did Alkatiri have to be brought down if this is the case? He further stated that Alkatiri is a strong leader and consistent with his program plans and that Ramos-Horta is not. (TP, STL)
Youths Ask President for Justice
Dili districts Youth representatives met with President Xanana Gusmão seeking justice. DN reported that the youth demanded justice to establish reconciliation so that the population can reach out to every suburb. A youth representative from Cristo Rei District, Joao Choke, told a DN reporter that “there will be no reconciliation without justice because justice is really important to resolve all the problems that occurred in this country so people can join their hands together, live in peace and now forget the issue of east/west”. (DN)
PNTL and F-FDTL Reformation under Process
Prime Minister Ramos-Horta told the National Parliament on Tuesday that PNTL and F-FDTL is currently going through a reformation process. The Minister of Interior and President of the Republic are the ones responsible for the process, Ramos-Horta said adding that it is a complex matter and will take a few months before the two institutions become active. During the plenary session of the Parliament, Ramos-Horta also said he spoke to around 600 IDPs of Metiaut area and asked them to return to their homes. He further said he will organize a dialogue between F-FDTL and PNTL institutions about the current situation and stressed that the judiciary system has now recommenced its function independently and impartially but the whole process would take time. The PM said that the international forces have started setting up permanent posts to provide assistance to the population and that the government wants to work together with international NGOs, youth groups and community leaders on open dialogue in Dili suburbs.
In a separate article, Minister of Interior, Alcino Barris said around US$9million would be further allocated to PNTL, adding that 80 percent of last year’s budget has been executed.
Diario Nacional reported that all PNTL officers in Baucau have handed in their guns to the international forces that are now in that area. (STL, DN)
Government Cooperates Education Program with Churches
MP Antonio Cardoso (Fretilin), President of Commission E of the Parliament in charge of Education, Culture, Youth and Sport said the second constitutional government program on education should focus on better cooperation with the Catholic Church. Cardoso added that justice must be first implemented before further discussion takes place and justice must be upheld for those who have committed crimes. He also said people are entitled to hold protests provided they observe the law. MP Elizario Pereira (Fretilin) said the reconciliation in the community should not proceed without justice. (STL)
International Media Reports
National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office