|Subject: LUSA: Violence leaves Govt
departments, public services in disarray
08-06-2006 12:29:00. Fonte LUSA. Notícia SIR-8063220 Temas:
East Timor: Violence leaves Govt departments, public services in disarray
Dili, June 8 (Lusa) - East Timor's state apparatus and public services have been severely stricken by the six-week-old wave of violence in the capital, says State Administration Minister Ana Pessoa.
Pessoa, in comments to Lusa Wednesday, said some ministers had been forced to work from home, after their offices were ransacked by looting mobs.
"Civil servants are naturally frightened with their houses burned down and the lack of transportation that keeps them from getting to work", Pessoa said, adding that the chaotic atmosphere was largely limited to the capital.
"The situation in the districts is substantially different", she said, adding that "district and sub-district administrations are working normally", with the exception of Bobonaro.
In that western district near the Indonesian border, Pessoa said dissident army officer, Maj. Alves Tara, appeared with armed men Saturday, ordering civil servants to stop working.
During the past three weeks, intra-security force clashes and subsequent mob violence left several ministries and government departments in Dili empty of documents, furniture and equipment.
Government warehouse have also been looted.
Mob targets have included the ministries of development, agriculture, natural resources and mines, and justice, along with the national police headquarters, the high court and the offices of the Attorney General.
At the start of the worst violence three weeks ago, a senior Education Ministry official told Lusa that 40% of the capital's schools were closed.
Copyright © 2003 Agencia Lusa. Todos os direitos reservados. www.lusa.pt