|Subject: UNMIT's Daily Media Review 14
Tuesday, 14 November 2006
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING THE UN INTEGRATED MISSSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS
National Media Reports
Youth Peace March Praised
Timor-Leste leaders have praised the peace march organized by youths following the 15th anniversary of Santa Cruz massacre on 12 November. Prime Minister Ramos-Horta has acknowledged the goodwill of the youths in Dili to re-establish peace. He said the actions of the youth were a good example for the political leaders and the older generations. President of the National Parliament said the march was a lesson for the leaders and to consider the population as one and that there is no such thing as "lorosae and loromonu" and everybody must respect and accept each other and take the country forward. President of PSD, Mario Carrascalao said the government should take advantage of the momentum to resolve the political military crisis. Carrascalao said the peace march is a sign the youth are becoming conscious that peace is imperative for the day-to-day living of a citizen. Youths, including those from the troubled areas of Dili hugged, cried and reconciled on the evening of 12 November and lit candles together in memory of the victims of the massacre. They also spontaneously organized the peace march around Dili on Monday, which concluded at the National Parliament with a delegation of four people, from east and west, addressing the Parliament. The delegation appealed for the leaders to reconcile as a way for IDPs to return to their homes. They said the peace march was a spontaneous action that came from their consciousness and from their heart with courage from those that have long gone since the massacre of 12 November, adding the anniversary of the massacre led them to work for peace. (TP, STL)
AJTL Condemns Violence
Assosiacao Jornalista Timor Lorosae has condemned the violence against a journalist of TVTL and a stringer for AFP, Nelson da Cruz by a group of unknown people. Virgilio Guterres, President of the association said the violence is an act against human rights, impedes the publication of news and goes against the principles of democracy including freedom of speech and press. Guterres said violence against journalists has occurred a few times and calls on those that have committed the violence to respect other people's right to live and to stop with such actions. He also calls on the government to identify the people committing these crimes not only against journalists but against the population as well. Da Cruz was reporting on a violence outbreak in Colmera, Vila Verde when he was attacked. (TP)
Norway Government Helps Construction
The government of Norway has donated US$2 million to help in the reconstruction of temporary homes for IDPs. According to TP, the Norway government representative in Jakarta gave the aid. Raul Mosaco, Deputy Public Works Minister, said the temporary homes would be established in Tibar, Tasi Tolu, Becora and Hera. (TP)
International Media Reports
East Timor's former PM says he meets weekly with successor Tuesday, 14 November
LISBON: East Timor's former Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri said he meets weekly with his successor, Jose Ramos-Horta, in his capacity as secretary-general of the ruling Fretilin party.
"At least once a week I meet with Prime Minister Ramos-Horta," he told a news agency in Portugal where he arrived last week to receive medical treatment for an unspecified ailment.
"That was the agreement established before the formation of this government, that it would have to meet weekly with Fretilin's political commission which I head," said Alkatiri who is under investigation for his alleged role in violence that shook East Timor earlier this year.
"When Ramos-Horta took office he knew perfectly well that he would head a Fretilin government, with members of Fretilin, and despite this he accepted the job. It is in this scenario that he must work," he added.
Fretilin has nearly two-thirds of the seats in the 88-seat parliament of East Timor, a former Portuguese colony, as well as a number of cabinet posts.
Alkatiri resigned on June 26, saying he was doing so for the good of the tiny country after he was blamed for the violence, which swept East Timor's capital Dili in April and May that killed over 30 people and drove 155,000 from their homes.
Pitched battled between machete-wielding rival security forces started when Alkatiri dismissed a third of the nation's soldiers who had deserted, complaining of discrimination.
Stability has largely returned to East Timor following the arrival of foreign peacekeepers at Dili's request and the installation of a new government in July headed by Ramos-Horta, a Nobel Peace Prize winner. (The News - Pakistan)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org