|Subject: AFP: Planned challenge to E Timor
Planned challenge to E Timor Govt dropped
Posted 1 hour 6 minutes ago
East Timor's former ruling party has abandoned plans for a court challenge to the legality of the Government sworn in last week, an official said.
But the party, Fretilin, still should be part of a unity government, its deputy president Arsenio Bano said amid continuing uncertainty following an inconclusive parliamentary election in June.
"We just need a political solution. We still need a 'grand inclusion' government involving all parties with a seat in parliament," he said.
"We will not use a court trial. A trial through the courts is not on our minds."
President Jose Ramos-Horta used his constitutional authority to install a coalition government led by Xanana Gusmao, the former president and one-time guerrilla fighter.
Fretilin won 21 seats in the polls, the highest number among all the parties, but Mr Gusmao's party, which won 18, cobbled together a coalition with control of 37 seats.
The former ruling party had threatened to challenge the legality of Mr Gusmao's government.
Fretilin supporters have protested violently against the administration, including during this week.
Dr Ramos-Horta had pushed for a unity government, but the major parties failed to reach an agreement on how to govern jointly.
Mr Gusmao has condemned Fretilin leaders for failing to halt the violence while in a separate statement released late on Tuesday, Mr Bano was critical of Mr Gusmao, saying many viewed him as "partly responsible for last year's crisis".
Unrest rocked the streets of Dili in April and May last year when security factions and youth gangs waged battle, leaving at least 37 dead.
International peacekeepers were deployed to restore calm and have been bolstered by some 1,600 UN police.