Subject: Timor Leste Daily Media News September 25, 2008
Timor-Leste Daily Media News
AusAID provides US $ 500,000 to ICFJ for media support - Televizaun Timor-Leste, 25 September
The Australian International Development Agency (AusAID) has provided US $ 500, 000 to help support a free and independent media in Timor-Leste through International Centre for Journalists known as ICFJ.
The funds were directly handed over by the AusAID Acting councilor, Jenny Drain and representative, March White to Director for ICFJ, Dave Blues yesterday.
Drain said the project would be implemented until 2011 and would be specifically strengthening the media program in Timor-Leste, as media played important role in the country's development.
"Media sector should be credible in building a strong democracy in East Timor and this why we continue supporting professional and qualified media training and the development of journalism in this country,".
Govt begins processing payment for PNTL officers, says State secretary security - Televizaun Timor-Leste, 25 September
The Government through State secretary for Security has begun processing per diems payment for the Timorese National Police (PNTL) officers who were involved in the Joint Operation during the manhunt for the rebels.
"Process of per diems is currently in the process of payment by the Ministry of Planning and Finance," State Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres said.
The state secretary said about $ US 500, 000. 000 were enough to pay those police officers who had not been paid yet.
He added such a mount of money would be directly allocated to PNTL once it had been approved and would mainly be allocated to the police officers who were involved in recent Joint Operation.
Corruption in Timor-Leste has been very critical, says Transparency International - Timor Post, 25 September
The corruption in Timor-Leste has been significantly increasing compared with the level of corruption took place last year, says a report of Transparency International released Wednesday (24/9).
According to the Transparency International, which conducted corruption analyses in 180 countries in the world, the corruption cases which were high during the year of 2007 and 2008 had put Timor-Leste in the list of the one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
Last year, Timor-Leste was ranked 123 in the list of the corrupt countries with 2.6 points, while this year it drops to 145 with 2.2 points.
Learning about the corruption situation in the country, MP Fernanda Borges, President of Committee A, said that she was terribly saddened by the level of corruption in the country.
"I am terribly sad by the fact that Timor-Leste drops to the position of 145 from 123. Meaning that the corruption has been very strong in Timor-Leste," said Borges.
Borges said that corruption takes place in the forms of single source mechanism and that the procurement services are not transparent.
The Transparency International elicited the data on corruption from public sectors and commerce, ranking the least corrupt countries with position one while the most corrupt counties with 180.
Meanwhile, for the points earned, points 10 indicates free from corruption while point zero for the most corrupt countries.
Ballistic examination proves bullets from rebel group hit Horta - Timor Post, 24 September
East Timor's Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro affirmed Wednesday (24/9) that based on the ballistic examination done by the Australian Federal Police it was the bullets of the rebel group led by Alfredo Reinado Alves that injured Ramos Horta during the attempt of February 11.
He said that the examination process had been successful though he declined to reveal the identity of the individuals who shot Horta.
He explained that only up to three automatic weapons were used for the examination in order to strengthen the accusation of the office of the Prosecutor General.
He said the result of the ballistic examination will be made to the public after his meeting with the Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police Thursday (25/9).
Timorese defense policy is independent, says Pinto - Timor Post, 25 September
State Secretary for Defense, Julio Thomas Pinto, said Timor-Leste's defense policy was independent from other countries.
The state secretary made the comments in recent days during a two-day-conference held in Adelaide of Australia.
Pinto stressed the defense policy of the country would not be dependent on other country, as Timor-Leste had its own right to pave its own plans of defense.
Pinto added Timor-Leste would continue cooperating with the two of its biggest neighboring countries, such as Indonesia and Australia in defense sector.
I won't avoid justice, says Lere Annan Timur - Diario Nacional, 25 September
The Timorese Defense Force Chief of Staffs, Lere Annan Timur, said he would not stay away from process of justice based the notification issued by the Public Prosecution regarding the recent crises of the country.
"This is not a new thing for me and other friends who have got the notification. I had never retreated from the war and even for justice I will not be shocked and is my commitment. We will cooperate with the Court to create peace and stability in the country," Lere Annan said.
Lere Annan called on the Court to explain him about the reason why the Public Prosecution wanted to summon them.
Investigation by the UN over December 4th case is political trick - Diario Nacional, 25 September
Fretilin MPs said the investigation into the case of December 4th 2002 by the UN International Investigation Commission was like a political trick.
Fretilin Chief of Bench, Francisco Miranda Branco said the findings of the UN investigation was excessive and was political trick.
Branco was referring to the UN investigative commission report which had been publicized by the media and was raised by MPs in recent days.
Branco said one of the report findings said a former state secretary of Fretilin government provoked the protestors to attack the Parliament House on December 4, 2002.
Public Prosecution has obligation to issue notification, says PD MP - Radio Timor-Leste, 24 September
Democratic Party (PD) MP Vital dos Santos, said the Public Prosecution had the obligation to issue a notification for any of the country's citizen who was suspected of being involved in criminal actions.
Dos Santos was referring to the notification issued by the Public Prosecution to summon Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) Chief of Staff Lere Annan Timur and Falur Rate Laek regarding the country's recent military and political crises of 2006.
Dos Santos stressed the Public Prosecution had the right to halt process of investigation into a case if there were no strong evidences.
Lere Annan will face inquiry on the upcoming September 29, while Falur Rate Laek will face inquiry on October 1.