Subject: ETHRC UA 15/98: Rape and Extra-judicial Execution
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:45:28 +0000
From: ethrc <email@example.com>
EAST TIMOR HUMAN RIGHTS CENTRE 124 Napier St Fitzroy 3065 Australia PO BOX 1413 Collingwood 3066 Australia Tel: +61 3 9415 8225 Fax: +61 3 9415 8218 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Director: Ms Maria Brett Chair: Bishop Hilton Deakin
URGENT ACTION 11 November 1998
NAME: Anastacia de Assuncao, 21
VIOLATIONS: Rape / Extra-judicial Execution
LOCATION: Lospalos, East Timor
Ref: UA 15/98
The East Timor Human Rights Centre has received reports from reliable sources in East Timor, alleging that Anastacia de Assuncao, a 21 year old woman from the village of Assalimo in Lospalos, was raped and killed by a member of the Indonesian military at about 8.30pm on 24 September, 1998. According to one media report on the incident (LUSA, 13 October 1998), Anastacia was the niece of a commander of FALINTIL, the armed East Timorese Resistance.
ETHRC sources have identified a suspect who is alleged to be responsible for the rape and killing. He is Damiaun, a member of Team ALPA, a para-military organisation trained by Kopassus, the Special Forces Command of the Indonesian military. ETHRC sources reported that the last time Anastacia was seen, she was being taken away on a motor-bike by Damiaun after she had finished school at SMU PGRI in Lospalos.
Anastacia's dead body was found later. It is believed she was raped before being beaten to death. It appears Anastacia may have been beaten with a stone as she sustained serious injuries including a fractured skull and broken neck.
The local parish priest and Anastacia's family are believed to have requested the police to arrest Damiaun and initiate criminal proceedings, however, to date, no action has been taken by the authorities.
Please send faxes/telegrams/express/airmail letters in English, Bahasa Indonesia or your own language:
* calling on the Indonesian authorities to conduct a full and impartial investigation into the rape and extra-judicial execution of Anastacia de Assuncao; and * calling for those found responsible to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
SEND APPEALS TO:
1. PRESIDENT YUSUF HABIBIE President of the Republic of Indonesia Istana Negara Gedung Binagraha Jl. Veteran Jakarta Pusat INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 345 7782 Telegrams: President Habibie, Jakarta, Indonesia E-mail: email@example.com
2. MILITARY COMMANDER REGION IX/UDAYANA (includes East Timor) General Syahrir MS Pangdam IX/Udayana Markas Besar KODAM IX/Udayana Denpasar, Bali INDONESIA Telephone: +62 361 228 095 Telegrams: Pangdam IX/Udayana, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
3. MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS Ali Alatas S.H Menteri Luar Negeri Jl. Medan Taman Pejambon No. 6 Jakarta INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 360 541 / 360 517 / 380 5511 / 345 7782 / 724 5354
4. SECRETARY GENERAL, NATIONAL COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS Prof. Dr. Baharuddin Lopa Sekretaris Jenderal, Komisi Nasional Hak Azasi Manusia (Komnas HAM) Jl Latuharhary No 4 B, Menteng Jakarta Pusat INDONESIA Phone/Fax: +62 21 392 5227 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also send appeals to:
* Diplomatic representatives of Indonesia in your country * Parliamentarians and the Foreign Ministry in your country
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY Check with the East Timor Human Rights Centre if sending appeals after 23 December 1998