Subject: UNOTIL's Daily Media Review 19 January 2006

[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed.]

UNOTIL

Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources

Daily Media Review

Thursday, 19 January 2006

National Media Reports

CAVR Recommendation Sensitive: President Gusmão

President Gusmão has stressed that CAVR recommendations are really sensitive because it asks for compensation from the UN Security Council for the victims of human rights violations during the Indonesian occupation. Speaking to the media on Wednesday, Gusmão explained, " Sensitive in this way: I said that I'm going to address the Security Council and if I follow CAVR recommendations, I must demand to the permanent members of the Security Council that they have to compensate our victims. Then they would turn around and say, don't forget the money we have provided and the resolutions we passed for you." The President said he feels embarrassed that in the report the population demands compensation. He added that as the President and on behalf of the people of Timor-Leste, he will thank the UN Secretary General for organizing the referendum in 1999. The over 2000-page report will be presented to the UN Secretary-General on Friday, 21 January. President Gusmão also said a copy would be handed over to the Indonesian authorities. He pointed out that he will also discuss with the Security Council whether or not Timor-Leste still needs the UN mission assistance and whether the international community is willing to support the country. (TP)

President Gusmão to Raise Safety of Timorese in Indonesia, The PM Appeals To The Population Not To Panic and No Impediment At Border

President Gusmão reportedly said that according to plans he will meet with President Susilo Bambang Yodoyono on his return from New York to raise the issue of the two Timor-Leste students beaten in Jogjakarta by former pro-Indonesian Timorese following the shootings on the border.

In a separate article of Timor Post, Prime Minister Alkatiri appealed to the population, especially those living along the border, not to panic following the shooting incident at the border. Alkatiri said he already received the first investigation report but cannot reveal who is in the wrong. "We cannot panic too much. It's true three people died on the border and an investigation is being conducted. Yesterday I received the first report from the investigation. We must still work together. If we are wrong, we must recognize our wrongdoing. If they [Indonesia] are wrong, they must recognize their wrongdoing," the Minister said.

Suara Timor Lorosae reported PM Alkatiri urging Timorese population not to visit West Timor for the time being.

Timor Post also reported MP from Bobonaro District, José de Andrade as saying that the situation at the border remains normal and there are no impediments. He said the Indonesian officers continue to carry out their tasks as they had previously, including checking documents to ensure that they are in order. Andrade is of the opinion that Indonesian authorities will not tolerate illegal activities aimed at Timorese citizens due to the ensuing process of friendship and reconciliation with Timor-Leste. (TP)

Indonesian Ambassador, Sofwan: Don't consider Indonesian and T-L as enemies

Indonesian Ambassador, Ahmed Sofwan, asked Timorese population not to perceive actions taken by Indonesian citizens against Timorese in Indonesia as acts of hatred directed at Timor-Leste, reported STL. Ambassador Sofwan stressed that such conflicts occur in other parts of Indonesian, such as Poso andSulawesi among others. He added that this is a national concern throughout Indonesia and he hopes that the Timorese population will not consider this as anti Timor-Leste. The report reiterated that the Indonesian Government wants both countries to have harmonious bilateral ties and a peaceful environment on the border. (STL)

Apriandy: Timorese citizens are guarded after entering Mota Ain border transit

The Indonesian daily, Post Kupang, reported that since the shooting incident took place on the border on 6 January, the condition of Timor-Leste and Indonesian Mota Ain transit entrance is still fragile. The report said that up to now, those who cross at the Mota Ain border transit have not been faced with any real threat but, on the other hand, there are very few who have actually crossed the border transit and those that do must be guarded once they are in the Indonesian territory. (STL)

Bishop Ratu, SVD express his dissatisfaction regarding PNTL

Commenting on the shooting of the three Indonesians at the border, Bishop Anton Pain Ratu, SVD, expressed his dissatisfaction with the BPU (PNTL), reported Post Kupang. The Bishop said that the taking of three lives is a disrespectful act. He added that there must have been other ways of resolving the conflict other than killing the three. (STL)

Preparations for 2007 Elections

Vice-Minister for State Administration, Valentim Ximenes said his Ministry has got a good start on preparations for the Presidential and Parliament Elections in 2007. Ximenes said they are working on the budget and the equipment required but the most important element is that the legislation will differ from the recent chefe suco 'village and council' elections. "As the central Government structure responsible for the elections, we are already thinking of asking for international technical assistance," Ximenes said, adding that they will contact the UN Electoral Division in New York to collaborate on developing the electoral law. He said that they are already working on gathering international assistance from Australia, Portugal, European Union and Japan to help with voter education. (TP) p16

Portugal and TL Signed Agreement on Planning for 2006

Portugal signed an agreement worth 32.6 million USD to assist with the development of Timor-Leste for this year. The agreement was signed in Dili on Thursday by the Foreign Affairs Vice-Minister Adalgiza Magno and the President of the Portuguese Institute for Development Assistance, Ruth Albuquerque. Funds will be utilized in the areas of public security, media, justice and the Office of the President. The Annual Planning Cooperation (PAC) for 2006 will increase Portuguese participation in multilateral programs including assisting the UN Development Program with the developing of the justice system.

By mid year, Portugal and Timor-Leste will begin negotiations on the Triennial Cooperation Agreement for the period of 2007/2009. (TP, Lusa)

National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office


Back to January menu
December 2005 menu    
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu