Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Monitoring: 27 June 2007

[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed.]

Tuesday, 27 June 2007

UNMIT ­ MEDIA MONITORING

THE UN INTEGRATED MISSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS

National Media Reports

F-FDTL remained neutral during last year's crisis

At the official launch of the new F-FDTL uniforms on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, Prime Minister Estanislau Aleixo da Silva acknowledged the contributions made by the F-FDTL and lauded their neutrality during last year's crisis.

Mr. da Silva said that the F-FDTL consistently maintains its professionalism and discipline while defending this country. (DN)

Government announced the KN report

The Timorese Government on Tuesday (26/6) announced the release of the report by the Notable Commission (KN) regarding the cases against the F-FDTL and the petitioners, who abandoned the F-FDTL HQ during last year's crisis.

Prime Minister Estanislau Aleixo da Silva said that there are 21 recommendations for the F-FDTL and 8 for the petitioners which need to be resolved. (DN)

F-FDTL and ISF case will be investigated

In response to reports that the International Stabilization Forces (ISF) and the F-FDTL exchanged fire near the Timor Telecom compound in Dili last Sunday (24/6), the F-FDTL Commander, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, reportedly said that an investigation is ongoing to clarify what occurred that evening. (DN)

WFP and FAO report is frightening

In response to the WFP and FAO reports regarding the food crisis in Timor-Leste, Prime Minister Estanislau Aleixo da Silva said that such reports are frightening and do not represent the realities on the ground.

"We have sufficient food stocks so such reports can be very alarming," said Mr. Aleixo. (DN AND TP)

Rerden: ISF has halted the operation

At the official launch of the new F-FDTL uniforms on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, the Commander of the International Stabilization Forces (ISF), Brigadier Mal Rerden, said that the ISF has halted the operation to capture the former Commander of the Military Police, Alfredo Reinado Alves and his supporters.

Mr. Rerden confirmed that the ISF has received the official documentation from President Jose Ramos-Horta to halt the operation. (DN)

Alkatiri is ready to have a debate with Xanana

The Secretary-General of ruling party Fretilin, Mari Alkatiri, confirmed that he is ready to have a debate with CNRT President Xanana Gusmão, who accused him of authoring last year's crisis. (DN)

F-FDTL are proud to have their own uniforms

With the official launch of the new F-FDTL uniforms on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, the F-FDTL will no longer use the old uniforms from Portugal, China and Mozambique.

After handing over his old uniform, the Commander of the F-FDTL, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, said that the F-FDTL is proud to wear their national uniform for the first time.

President José Ramos-Horta said that the army should fight against extremism or terrorism, which could threaten the sovereignty of the country. (TP)

F-FDTL is ready to have open dialogue with Alfredo

At the official launch of the new F-FDTL uniforms on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, F-FDTL Commander Brig. Gen. Taur Matan Ruak confirmed that the F-FDTL is ready to have an open dialogue with the former Commander of the Military Police, Alfredo Reinado, and his supporters. (TP)

STAE distributes sensitive materials to the districts

STAE Director Tomas Cabral on Tuesday (25/6) said that STAE has officially distributed the sensitive materials for the Parliamentary elections including 652,000 ballot papers to 720 polling stations across the country.

The distribution is supported by UNDP, UNMIT and the Indonesian Embassy in Timor-Leste, which ensured that the materials were sent to STAE. (STL and TP)

Major Benitez: "ISF is not an enemy of F-FDTL"

While attending the launch of the F-FDTL uniforms on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, the ISF Spokesperson, Maj. Ivan Benitez said that the ISF is not an enemy of the F-FDTL but rather a partner working to assure the security of Timor-Leste.

Furthermore, he said that the ISF is here to help the Timorese Government and the UN to strengthen the security sector in order to maintain stability and peace in the country. (TP)

Estanislau: F-FDTL's door is closed to petitioners

Prime Minister Estanislau Aleixo da Silva on Tuesday (26/6) informed that the 591 petitioners, who had abandoned the F-FDTL headquarters during last year's crisis, will no longer have the opportunity to return.

He said that based on the report of the Komisaun Notaveis, it is the government's responsibility to ensure that the petitioners are able to sustain their lives. (STL)

Ramos Horta: No Xanana, no unity

While attending the CNRT campaign on Tuesday (26/6) in Dili, President José Ramos-Horta said that Xanana Gusmão unites the people and without him the country would not be united. (STL)

Alkatiri concerned over last year's crisis

When the crisis arose last year, conflicts and disturbances between the youth occurred across the country. The ruling party Fretilin headed by Mari Alkatiri had been accused to be the authors of the crisis.

At the one year anniversary (26/6) since he stepped down as the country's Prime Minister, Mr. Alkatiri took the opportunity to say that he was concerned over the political and military crisis that is currently ongoing ­ even after his term - which brings sufferinng to the people of Timor-Leste. (STL)

National Parliament disappointed over accidental exchange of fire between ISF and F-FDTL

The Vice President of Committee B at the National Parliament, Clementino dos Reis Amaral, has expressed his disappointment over the accidental exchange of fire that took place between the ISF and F-FDTL on Sunday (24/6).

"As a member of national parliament, I am disappointed by what took place between the ISF and the F-FDTL; this will only traumatize the population," said Mr. Reis. (STL)

International Media Reports

Isolated incident main concern in parliamentary election in Timor-Leste: UN

UPDATED: 20:49, June 26, 2007

Source: Xinhua

Incident in remote areas has been the major concern during the parliamentary election in the new nation of Timor-Leste on Saturday, the United Nations (U.N.) top official said on Tuesday.

The Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Timor- Leste of the U.N. Atul Khare told a press conference ahead of his arrival in Timor-Leste on Thursday that political leaders in the small nation must encourage their supporters to resist from violence.

People in Timor-Leste are to give their votes on Saturday to pick up new members of parliament whom in September are to elect new prime minister.

"During the election the main concern, which I have is the isolated incident taking place in the certain part of the country, notably Viqueque and Ermera districts, which already face some challenges in the last few weeks," he said.

Two people were killed in accident during the campaign last month in the districts. Timor-Leste comprises of 13 districts.

"But I do hope, apart from the police respond, the political leaders will play a role in encourage their supporters to resist from violence against each other," said Khare.

Khare who is also the head of the United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) said that instead of the capital Dili, foreign police units would also deploy in small section.

The parliamentary election and the establishment of the cabinet in September are the first since the country got independence in May 2002, after 24 years ruled by Indonesia.

Timor-Leste descended into chaos in April last year after the bloody violence.

The sacking of 600 military men by controversial former Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri triggered the resistance led by Alfredo, which then sparked to gang street fighting in the new country.

The situation then could be restored temporarily after thousands of Australian-led multi-national troop's arrival in Dili.

Street-gang fighting, rivalry among the political leaders, and rebellion of security forces, are among the problems hit the nation.

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)


Back to June menu
May

World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu