Subject: Timor-Leste News June 30, 2010

Local Daily News

June 30, 2010

*New South Wales Govt extends support for Timorese embassy *Radio Timor-Leste, January language source: Tetun

The Australian New South Wales Government has prolonged period of its state properties support to the Timorese diplomatic corps and consulate in Sydney. Minister for Foreign Affairs, Zacarias da Costa made the comments regarding the memorandum of understanding signed by him and the New South Wales Governor recently. Da Costa said the New South Wales Government showed its commitment and great contribution to the country. Da Costa added the cooperation areas which needed to be strengthened by the two countries were agriculture and capacity building.

*Horta to take part in Philippine new president elect’s swearing-in *Radio Timor-Leste, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta is scheduled to take part in the Philippine new President-elect, Beniqno Aquino’s swearing-in ceremony in Manila on Wednesday (30/6). Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Zacarias Albano da Costa said presence of the president was to convey the Timorese people’s vote of confidence to the Philippine new president-elect. Da Costa stressed that so far the Philippine Government had contributed to the country through humanitarian aid and security. He added President Horta also planned to meet with some prominent leaders of that country in Manila.

*Ex-rebel leader alleges PM Gusmao of brain of crises *Radio Timor-Leste, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun

The Dili District Court has screened a video produced by the SBS TV in which the slain Rebel leader, Alfredo Reiando Alves alleges Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao of the master mind of the country’s crises of 2006. Reinado said he was concerned about the crises, because the Timorese leaders had no responsibility to resolve country’s military crises from which the petitioning soldiers become victims. Reinado recognized he and his followers were the one who set up the ambush in Fatuahi and that was his responsibility, yet the attacks on Same engaging the ISF was the state’s responsibility, as the state sent the ISF soldiers to attack them, leaving five of his men killed.

*Timor-Leste law allows amnesties for war criminals *Timor Newsline, June 30, 2010

Amnesty International is urging Timor-Leste to close a legal loophole that is allowing war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the 1975- 1999 Indonesian occupation to go unpunished. ‘Timor-Leste; Justice in the Shadow’, an Amnesty International report released today on the country’s latest Penal Code, documents how the law allows amnesties that would prevent trials of people suspected of war crimes or crimes against humanity. Without a ban on such amnesties, Timor-Leste is not fulfilling its obligations under the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, to which it acceded in 2002. “Survivors of decades of human rights violations in Timor-Leste are demanding justice and reparations, but the authorities’ routine use of amnesties, pardons and similar measures has created a culture of impunity,” said Isabelle Arradon, Amnesty International’s Researcher on Timor-Leste. Amnesty International fears that the Timor-Leste authorities’ potential use of amnesties due to the gap in its new Penal code, will damage the young nation’s ability to develop a strong deterrent to violence, maintain an independent and trusted judiciary, and hold armed groups and security forces accountable for their actions. People indicted and convicted by the UN Special Panels for Serious Crimes for crimes against humanity committed during Timor-Leste’s 1999 transition to nationhood, have been among those released by presidential pardons or commutation of sentences. In 2008, militia leader Joni Marques was set free after his sentence was substantially reduced by the President. He was originally sentenced to 33 years’ imprisonment for crimes against humanity. “The authorities in Timor-Leste are compromising on justice to seek peace – but trading away justice for such serious crimes only undermines the rule of law, and cannot resolve the trauma of the past,” said Isabelle Arradon. In 2009, the Timor-Leste government allowed Maternus Bere, indicted by the United Nations Serious Crimes Unit, to avoid prosecution by transferring him to Indonesia before he faced trial. Bere had been a militia leader involved in massacres of civilians in 1999. ‘Timor-Leste: Justice in the Shadow’ acknowledges important steps that the country has taken to include many of its obligations under the Rome Statute into its Penal Code. However, as well as the lack of explicit ban on amnesties for crimes under international law, the Penal Code lacks provisions on co-operation with the International Criminal Court. Amnesty International supports a long-term comprehensive plan to address impunity in Timor-Leste. This would include the establishment of an international tribunal to investigate and prosecute those responsible for the crimes committed under Indonesian occupation; a search for the disappeared; reparations for the thousands who suffered and the relatives of those who died; and an approach to amnesties, pardons or similar measures that does not undermine the rule of law.

*PM Gusmão condemns martial arts followers engage in crime *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão has strongly condemned martial arts followers who were believed to have been engaged in recent clash of martial art cluba in Jogjakarta of Indonesia. PM Gusmão called on all the parents to better parent their children, particularly whose children were doing their study in Indonesia to stay away from act of violence. “I am calling on all the parents to better educate their children who are doing their study in Indonesia, so that they could not engage in crime which affects other people’s life,” PM Gusmão said. Gusmao also called on the Timorese students who were doing their study abroad to do their study well, so that when they return to the country they could give their contribution to develop the country based on their educational background. *Justice Ministry prepares report for Geneva *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun Justice Ministry through its focal points have prepared a report on human rights in Timor-Leste and will present it in the International Convention on October 7th this year. Human Right Director for Justice Ministry, Celito Cardoso, said they would analyze properly the report prepared by the Justice and Foreign Affairs Ministries, adding that the report would be approved by the Council of the Ministers before presenting it in the International Convention Conference. “Timor-Leste is able to produce two reports such as report on human rights convention for children and convention for CEDAW, 2009,” Celito said. Meanwhile, United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) Deputy, Finn Reske Nielsen said he recognized the efforts made by the Justice Ministry to produce report for children, adding that he was pleased with the report made by the Justice and Foreign Affairs Ministries. *Court seeks for evidence in the CD *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun The Dili District Court continues seeking for another evidence of Fatuahi ambush case that took place on 23 May 2006 through CD. Public Minister Representative, Felismino Cardoso has confirmed that there were another two witnesses from the National Police Domingos Pinto and Manuel da Costa. Cardoso said the constitution guaranteed all people to collaborate with the court in the trial process but both Pinto and da Costa had never appeared in the court to testify. Meanwhile, defender Afonso Carlos Prado said the request of the Public Prosecution was good and therefore he appreciated it and started to make final allegation to his clients. *Govt needs to present outcome of feasibility study *Timor Post, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun MP Arsenio Paixão Bano from Fretilin has called on the Government to present result of feasibility study on the Greater Sunrise’s pipeline installation to the country. Bano said it was very important for the Government to present the result of feasibility study as it would helpful to support option of the government to bring pipeline of the Greater Sunrise to Timor-Leste. Bano said that Fretilin had defended pipeline to be brought to the country when Fretilin rule this country. “We MP from Fretilin want to say that LNG pipeline from the Greater Sunrise should be built to the country because before the Parliamentary Majority Alliance (AMP) Government presents its option to build LNG pipeline to the country, the former Fretilin Government has had this option already,” MP Bano said.

*PNTL’s powerless in responding situation *Timor Post, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

The State Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres has confirmed that the National Police could not directly respond to situation in the Capital of Dili due to its power is limited by the agreement made by the Government with the United Nations Police. “Security responsibility in the Capital of Dili is under the responsibility of the United Nations Police this is because security responsibility is yet to hand over to the National Police and it has become problem for us. When our police respond to situation the UN Police always interrupt them and they investigate our police and this is problem for us,” Guterres said. Guterres added he had sent an official letter to the National Police Commander to take responsibility and reassume their role. “I have sent an official letter to the National Police Commander to review the agreement made so that it can give space to the national police to reassume their role,” Guterres said.

*HAK-JSMP call for justice on Bere’s liberation *Timor Post, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

The Timorese Human Right Association and the Timorese Judicial System and Monitoring Program (JSMP) have urged the Appellate Court President to speed up judicial process for the person who freed the ex-militia leader Maternus Bere last year. They also called on the Appellate Court President Claudio Ximenes to inform them whether the Appellate Court had made an allegation against the one who released Bere or not. In response, the President of Appellate Court, Claudio Ximenes said that case of Maternus Bere was now in the process. Ximenes refused to make comments on the Bere’s freedom as it was not his competence to talk on this case. Meanwhile, Justice Minster Lucia Lobato said that she was ready to be responsible for the case of Maternus Bere who was freed last year. “I am ready to appear in the court for responding to Maternus Bere’s freedom. I will make request to the prime minister to resign from my post regarding the decision made to free Bere, although the decision was not made myself only but it was made for the country interest,” Lobato said.

*JSMP Seminar appears idea to produce law for pardon *Timor Post, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

The National Seminar held by the Timorese Judicial System Monitoring Program (JSMP) yesterday is positive as it appeared ideas from participants to create pardoning law in the country. The Timorese Appellate Court President, Claudio Ximenes said in order to regulate pardon process for the prisoners then it was important to create pardon law that would regulate process of giving pardon. “President of the Republic could grantee pardon to the prisoners if the Government recommends it, but if we see in general then we can try it based on our will. The most important thing is it should be done based on the spirit of constitution that all things should go on based on the existing law,” Ximenes said. Meanwhile, Justice Minister Lucia Lobato said it was important to create pardon law in order to regulate process of granting pardon to the prisoners.

*Ministry of infrastructure recognizes budget execution is weak *Diario Nacional, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

Deputy Minister for Infrastructure, Jose Manuel Carrascalão has recognized weaknesses of his ministry in executing the country’s general state budget, because many bridge constructions projects are yet to realize. “Many of the big projects are still not being realized and are monitored by the technical secretariat of the prime minister office,” Carrascalao said. Carrascalao said they were incapable of executing the general state budget for 2010, as some projects were still in tender process.

*PM Gusmao apologize for his ministers’ fault *Diario Nacional, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao has expressed forgiveness to the country’s people for some of his ministers and government officials’ fault when carrying out their work. The prime minister made the comments in relation to the recent comments of the State Secretary for Youth and Sports, Miguel Manetelo saying students in Indonesia only wanted to kill one another. “I am expressing forgive for the fault made by ministers and officials,” Gusmao said. MP Antoninho Bianco said the comments made by the state secretary for youth and sports were irresponsible, as it was not a solution to resolve the problem appeared.

*Should deploy PNTL: Guterres *Diario Nacional, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

Following the people’s concerns over the UN Police’s late response to situation in the Capital Dili, State Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres wants the Timorese National Police (PNTL) to reassume security responsibility for responding to situation. Guterres made the comments after participating in the debate of the additional state budget in the Parliament. Guterres stressed that security responsibility in the Capital Dili was still in the hands of the Police and that had impede the PNTL to respond to situation. Guterres added he had mailed a letter to the PNTL Commander, Commissioner Longinhos Monteiro to consider the decision made and needed to deploy the PNTL, due to the UN Police had not responded the situation well.

*SES proposes US $ 3.293 million to be allocated to PNTL *Diario Nacional, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

State Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres said his side had proposed to allocate additional budget worth 3.293 million to be allocated to the Timorese National Police (PNTL). “We are also proposing 31 vehicles in order to be distributed to the police stations in the districts, so that they could help facilitate the police’s work,” Guterres said. Guterres also requested cars for the police special force (BOP), so that it could better strengthen its operations. Guterres added that the additional budget he proposed was not included the physical development, because it had been included in the referendum package project.

*Milena Pires becomes Timorese women representative for Cedaw *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

The Timorese Government and the National Parliament have congratulated Milena Pires who was elected to become the Timorese representative for CEDAW. Pires was elected by 23 member of CEDAW committee with 113 of vote, adding that she also represents women of ASIA. The Timorese Parliamentary President, Fernando “Lasama” de Araujo on behalf of the Timorese people congratulated Mrs. Pires who had been elected to become women’s representative for CEDAW. “Congratulation to Mrs. Pires who represent the Timorese and Asian women for CEDAW,” Lasama said. Meanwhile, Deputy Parliamentary President, Maria Paixão on behalf of the Parliamentary women also congratulated Mrs. Pires for her appointment of becoming women representative. “This can show that Timor-Leste will be well known in the world, because Timor-Leste has skilful women who can represent the Timorese women for CEDAW,” Paixão said.

*PDD appears corruption *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

MP Ilda Maria da Conceicao from Fretilin said the Parliamentary Majority Alliance (AMP) Government led by Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão lacked of skills to execute great amount of the state budget. MP Conceicao said the Government’s budget proposal presented to the Parliament asking additional state budget worth US$31.4 million in order to facilitate implementation of development package projects was a possibility to appear corruption. MP Ilda made the comments regarding the past experience showing that the Administrator for Baucau District had spent money allocated to local development program for his own interest, but Minister for State Administration and Territorial Organization had not taken any necessary action to sanction him. “One example of the case is Baucau administrator who took the money of the PDL worth US$40 thousand, and that make me concerned about great amount of money allocated to PDD. I am afraid if there are no skillful people who can execute the money to facilitate the PDD,” Conceicao said. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão said the Government proposed big amount of money to centralize power for local leaders. PM Gusmão added the Government would create a system so the implementation of the PDD would be directly controlled by the State Administration and Territorial Organization.

*Fretilin calls on Govt to reduce money for TLPC *Suara Timor-Lorosa’e. June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun

Opposition Parties in the National Parliament, Fretilin and the National Unity party (PUN) has called on the Government to reduce money US$53 thousand form the total amount US$602 thousand which was allocated to the Timorese Press Club (TLPC). MP Arsenio Paixão Bano from Fretilin said that the money allocated to TLPC was not necessary to be added as they were only executed money 15% for the first trimester from January up to March. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão hit back and saying the Government would not reduce the money as the money would be spent for securing and guaranteeing people to get access to information through the media.

Timor-Leste Subscriber News Local and International Media Monitoring. (The contents of this service do not reflect the views of TLMDC. News and opinion is summarized; and headlines are edited in English to give the best possible sense of the original headline. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin; or for tailored sector-specific monitoring contact: francisco@tlmdc.org; alberico@tlmdc.org)


Back to June Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu