Subject: Timor-Leste News July 01, 2010
Timor-Leste Subscriber News Local and International Media Monitoring.
(The contents of this service do not reflect the views of TLMDC. News and opinion is summarized; and headlines are edited in English to give the best possible sense of the original headline. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin; or for tailored sector-specific monitoring contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com)
Local Daily News
July 01, 2010
*Timor-Leste proud of Milena Pires *Radio Timor-Leste, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun
Parliamentary President Fernanda “Lasama” de Araujo said the Timorese people were pleased with the appointment of Milena Pires to become CEDAW commissioner for the UN. Lasama made the comments after Timor-Leste’s Pires was elected overwhelmingly in the assembly elections in New York. The CEDAW is an international committee of elimination and discrimination against woman and is based in New York of the US. Lasama stressed that the confidence given to Pires was part of the Timorese woman’s progresses achieved in the development. “This is part of our efforts and now our sister Milina Pires is representing the country’s woman in one of the UN’s great organization,” Lasama said.
*Govt prepares report revision on human right issues *Radio Timor-Leste, June 30, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Government is currently preparing a report revision on the human rights issues in Timor-Leste before presenting it in the UN. Director National for Human Rights and Citizenship, Celito Cardoso said the focal point of the human rights and the United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) had made preparations to report issue of human rights, civil rights and issue of children. “We will write two reports in 2010 and 2011 on human rights, civil right of politics, as well as issue of children,” Cardoso said. Cardoso stressed that the progresses achieved by the state was in some positive changes, such as implementation of human rights. He added the report showed to the world that Timor-Leste had good will to pay attention to human rights.
*MP Borges calls on Govt to produce pardon law *Televizaun Timor-Leste, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
MP Fernanda Borges from the National Unity Party (PUN) has called on the Government to produce pardon law as soon as possible to help facilitate the president for granting pardon to the prisoners. MP Borges made the comments on Tuesday during a national seminar held at Hotel Timor which was organized by the Timorese Judicial System Monitoring Program (JSMP). “We can see that there are many people have been pardoned although some of them are yet to face prison term based on the court decision and this happens because there is no law that can define what criteria should be fallowed when it is about to give pardon to the prisoners. The Justice Ministry should pay a maximum attention to this case,” MP Borges said. Meanwhile, the Timorese Appellate Court President, Claudio Ximenes, has said that the pardon granted by President Jose Ramos Horta to the prisoners was to person and not to the group.
*Prison guards urge Justice Ministry to produce law for guaranteeing their status *Televizaun Timor-Leste, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Prison guards of Becora have urged the Justice Ministry to produce law to guarantee their status. Becora Prison guards’ representative, Januario Freitas Ximenes said it was important for the Justice Ministry to speed up process of producing law that could support them to carry out their work optimally in future. “We have make consultation through competent institutions about our status in May but there is no positive response so far and we do no know how the process is going on,” Ximenes said. Meanwhile, another prison guard, Andre Pereira said their current remuneration was not enough to support their family’s lives, adding that the work they were carrying out was part of their contribution to the country although they were not well paid. “Our salary is very little or enough to support our family’s lives and the work we are carrying out so far is a part of our contribution to the country,” Pereira said. They also called on the Justice Ministry to better facilitate the prison guards so that they could carry out their work optimally in the future.
*President has power to pardon prisoners: Minister Lucia Lobato *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Following the civil society and victims concerns over pardon given by the president, Minister for Justice, Lucia Lobato said the president had prerogative rights to give the prisoners pardon, but it should be based on the constitution. “We have law to limit the president’s power in giving pardon to the prisoners if there are no concerns from the people,” Lobato said. Lobato stressed there should be a debate before fixing the criteria by preparing a law to regulate the pardon, so that the president could be subject to it.
*Govt only uses money to pay international Advisor who work for petroleum *Diario Nacional, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Finance and Planning Minister Emilia Pires has confirmed that Government only uses money to pay the International Advisors who are currently working in the Ministry of Finance in the area of petroleum and some other advisor are paid by the donors. “Up to this time we have not spent our money to pay international advisors. We are donated by the donors to pay international advisors and the Government only pays international advisors who are currently working in the petroleum area,” Pires said. Minister Pires made the comments yesterday regarding the recent call of MP Antonio Bianco asking the Government to reduce payment amount for the international advisors, because many of the Timorese people were still living in poor conditions. Minister Pires also considered the statement of MP Bianco was baseless and was cheap political statement.
*Akara: Luta Hamutuk ready to present evidence *Diario Nacional, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Executive Director for Luta Hamutuk, Mericio AKara said Luta Hamutuk was ready to present evidence about maladministration appeared within the Ministry of Tourism, Commerce and Industry if Minister Gil da Costa Alves was ready. “Not only Luta Hamutuk knows or have the evidence, but the public also know about maladministration appears with the MTCI. All people see it clearly that the subsidized rice of MTCI is sold in the road side around Dili,” Akara said. Akara was responding to the demands of Minister da Costa who had called for evidence about maladministration appeared within his Ministry. Akara also challenged Minister da Costa to arrange time so that Luta Hamutuk could present the evidences.
*Millena Pires can make change *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
State secretary for the Council of Ministers, Hermenegildo “Agio” Pereira said Milena Pires who was just overwhelmingly elected to become the UNCEDAW was capable of making change to the Timorese woman’s lives future. Agio made the comments regarding the appointment of Pires by the UN assembly recently in New York. Agio also congratulated Pires for her appointment and called on her to work harder for the sake of the Timorese woman. We are congratulating her for her new post and also for the things she made for the significant change in the country,” Pereira said. He added that Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao and all the Government officials were pleased with Pires’s appointment to CEDAW.
*Oppositions are not matured: Gusmao *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao said was very concerned about the criticism made by some of the opposition members in the Parliament, as they had no political maturity, but preferred making unconstructive and indicative criticism. Gusmao stressed that so far the oppositions had criticized the Government’s programs implementation, but some of the criticisms were not constructive and were baseless. “We accept your criticism over the budget for PPD, but as human being we only want to accept the criticism which is constructive,” Gusmao said. Gusmao also accepted and appreciated constructive inputs and criticism from the oppositions which were based on facts.
*Ministry of Finance creates controlled payment system *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Ministry of Finance has planned set up a controlled system payment to avoid corruption that might happen in the Government’s decentralized development package (PPD) project. Minister for Planning and Finance, Emilia Pires said they would set up this kind of system and establish a task force to prevent corruption. “We will create proper payment and also set up a task force to avoid corruption,” Pires said. Pires added that system of payment in the PPD project implementation would be given to a company through the AECCOP Bank when the construction done and should be submitted with a project report.
*AMP alleges Fretilin of cheating PM Gusmão *Diario Nacional, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
MP Rui Menezes from the Democratic Party (PD) has alleged Fretilin of cheating Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão, because Fretilin has recently said the AMP bench opposed the Government’s proposal of additional state budget. “Report of the Parliamentary Committee C for Economy, Finance and anticorruption is made to facilitate discussion only because based on the Parliamentary regulation that the Parliament has power to make final decision in the plenary about budget law,” MP Menezes said. MP Menezes added that the vote for Committee C’s report was a technical vote for facilitating the report to be discussed in the plenary. Meanwhile, MP Antonio Bianco from Fretilin said the MPs in the Committee C were not like representative of the people because their vote in the Committee was different from the vote in the plenary. MP Bianco added that MPs from AMP had not really represented people because they always followed what was said by Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão.
*Soares: PNTL stop doing operations to long vehicle *Diario Nacional, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Dili District Traffic Police Commander, Inspector Chief Antonio Soares said the Traffic Police would stop its operations to long vehicle which loaded containers, as Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao had sent them letter to do so. “We are carrying out our work based on the joint agreement and we are able to undertake our work within three days but finally there is a concern from the harbor and Customs Department that the cars should not operate during the night and therefore they call for the Government to cancel the operations at night in a month,” Soares said. Soares added that there were 16 long vehicles which were loading containers during the day and seven more in June, but those cars have been handed over to its owner after getting official request from the Government.
*Lawyers consider accusation of Public Prosecution baseless *Diario Nacional, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Lawyer Jose Pedro Camoes said all the accusations made by the Public Prosecution was baseless as there was no evidence that could support it. Public Prosecution tries to convey to the court saying the presence of the accused in Fatuahi ambush causing the death of a Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) officer, “Suku Nakles” and a National Police Officer Cipriano Ximenes,” Camoes said. Cameos made the comments because there was no evidence to support accusation made by the Public Prosecution, adding that many witnesses had testified in the court including Timorese Police Deputy Commander, Commissioner Afonso de Jesus, but he had never said he saw the other accused beside the slain Alfredo Reinado Alves.
*Public Prosecution present final allegation to 12 accused *Timor Post, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Public Prosecution yesterday had officially present its final allegation against 12 people who were believet to involve in the Fatuahi ambush led by the slain Alfredo Reinado Alves to against the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) officers. Prosecutor Felismino Cardozo has said that the Public Prosecution made the final allegation after hearing testimonies from 27 witnesses, adding that there were 12 people were believed to involve in the Fatuahi ambush. During the initial hearing up to the final allegation and through declraration and facts provided by the witnesses including evidences gathered by the Public Prosecution that there are 12 people who are strongly alleged by the Public Prosecution as they involve directly in the ambush made against FFDTL officers,” Cardozo said. Public Prosecution also considers those F-FDTL and PNTL officers who abandon the institution with the uniform and weapon was crime. “It is crime if they abandon the institution with weapon and worst than that if they use the weapon to have a gun fire against Government’s institutions officials and killed member of F-FDTL and PNTL officer and this is really happen,” Cardoso said. He added, “We cannot ignore those people who involve in Fatuahi ambush and should not say that they are not the one shot at F-FDTL and PNTL and we should not say that we did not see them, who shot at them? They are the one shot at the F-FDTL because they were at the scene at that time. What they did had left an officer of F-FDTL Suku-Nakles and a PNTL officers dead at the scene.”
*Timorese refugees in Kupang return home *Timor Post, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
Five families of the Timorese people who become refugee in Kupang [west Timor of Indonesia] in 1999 have decided to return to Timor-Leste on Wednesday (30/6). Total family members who returned to Timor-Leste are 12 people, those refugee are originally from the country’s eastern district of Viqueque. The Timorese Human Right Association Director, Rui Viana said before the refugees decided to return home they used to negotiate with the local leaders of Dilor about their will to return to the country. “Today (yesterday) the working group of repatriation go to the border of Mota-ain for welcoming the refugees. They have also coordinated with the Indonesian TNI to facilitate them and accompanied them to the border,” Viana said.
*PDHJ holds workshop with the media *Timor Post, July 1, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Human Rights and Justice Ombudsmen (PDHJ) has held workshop with the Timorese electronic and printing media talking on good governance and role of the PDHJ in promoting good governance in the country. Ombudsmen Sebastião Dias Ximenes said the media plaid an important role in the development of the country and therefore it was important to better capacitate and share information to the media about principal of good governance. “We hold mini workshop today in order to share information to the media about good governance, so that the media can carry out their work well to control well work carried out by the states bodies and leaders,” Ximenes said. Ximenes added the main role of the PDHJ was to promote and protect human rights and promote good governance in order to reach a democratic development of the country.