Subject: Timor-Leste News July 06, 2010

Timor-Leste Subscriber News Local and International Media Monitoring. (The contents of this service do not reflect the views of TLMDC. News and opinion is summarized; and headlines are edited in English to give the best possible sense of the original headline. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin; or for tailored sector-specific monitoring contact: francisco@tlmdc.org; alberico@tlmdc.org)

Local Daily News July 06, 2010

*Horta calls for AMP to unite for implementing Govt’s policy *Radio Timor-Leste, July 5, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta has called for the Parliamentary Majority Alliance (AMP) Government to unite for implementing the Government’s policy on executing the approved additional state budget. The president was referring to the recent comments my by Deputy Prime Minister Mario Viegas Carrascalao saying the Government was incapable of executing the state budget. Horta said members of the Government should have a strong policy to strengthen the budget presented to the Parliament and should not criticize capability of the Government. “The deputy prime minister is taking part in the Government; he has power to look at the proposal budget. He should not raise this problem after the Parliament has approved it,”

*Foreign minister criticizes his co-ministers *Radio Timor-Leste, July 5, 2010 language source: Tetun

Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Zacarias Albano da Costa has strongly criticized minister for agriculture, state secretary for security and minister for social solidarity saying they are irresponsible, as they boycott process of border demarcation. The minister was referring to the social house construction by the aforementioned ministries in the border, due to the place was still in land dispute process. Da Costa said dispute zone like Naktuka, Sunan and Memo were really prohibited to be used by both Timor-Leste and Indonesia. Da Costa stressed that those ministers were irresponsible, because they had not made any consultation with his ministry about the house construction in the dispute zone. He added that his ministry had sent a letter to Indonesia for recognizing mistake made by Timor-Leste, as it had built house in the dispute zone.

*President Horta launches brochure on women participation in community leaders’ elections *Televizaun Timor-Leste, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta has officially launched brochure about women’s participation in the elections for community leaders and also presented the national census results in 2009. During the ceremony President Horta said the ceremony was part of valorizing women’s participation in the community leaders’ election last year. “We are launching the brochure about women participation in the community leaders’ election and this chance for us to ask the international donors to continue providing their support to the STAE and the National Commission of Election (CNE). It is important also to the National Parliament to produce electoral law,” President Horta said. Meanwhile, Director of STAE, Tomas do Rosario Cabral said women’s participation in the election for community leaders was high in Baucau and Kovalima district as there were ten women elected to become community leaders.

*Ninety five houses destroyed by flood *Televizaun Timor-Leste, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

Ninety five 95 houses in Aliambata of Babolu village, Vatulari sub-district of Viqueque district were destroyed by flood recently due to a heavy down fall. Deputy Prime Minister for Social Issues Jose Luis Guterres, Minister for Social and Solidarity, Maria Domingas Alves including some other Government’s officials visited the scene to take a look closer at the real conditions of the local residents who become victims of the flood. Babolu chief of village, Custodio Fernandes has called on the Government to seek for solution to removing the residents to secure place, their current village is now at risk, adding that it is important for the Government to send humanitarian aid as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the Minister for Social and Solidarity, Maria Domingas Alves confirmed that the Government had provided humanitarian aids, such as basic needs in order to respond to the needs of the local residents. Deputy PM Guterres said removing to new place was depending on the residents to decide; the Government would only follow what they want and said the Government was ready to help them “They should made decision that whether they want to remove to the new place or not it depends on them, the Government will ready to respond to their request,” Deputy PM Guterres said.

*Pires: Govt will not fall on Woodside mafia *Timor Post, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

The State Secretary for Natural Resources, Alfredo Pires, has said that the Government of Timor-Leste would never fall into the mafia of Woodside Company where they had manipulated the cost of the LNG pipeline from the Greater Sunrise to the country. “The Government will never fall into the Woodside’s mafia for manipulating the cost of the LNG pipeline worth US$19 billion, again that the Government will not fall on their mafia and saying that material prize to build pipelines to Timor-Leste are too expensive. The Government will never be surprised because the feasibility study results showed that the cost of the pipeline building to the country will not reach US$19 billion,” Pires said. He added it had been estimated that the Government would spend US$4-5 billion for facilitating LNG and US$5-6 for pipeline installation.

*Residents living under threat *Timor Post, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

A resident of Kampung Tuti of Komoro, Agapito dos Santos, has said that resident in their area were not living calmly due to lack of security control from the United Nations Police to prevent some people who intended to create conflict. Agapito made the comments because he was maltreated by some people last Saturday. Agapito added he contacted the UN Police to respond to situation when he was maltreated, but the UN Police did not appear in the scene to respond to the situation. “At the time when the Football match between Portugal and Spain on 2/7 at least 11:45 and when the first half time finished the suspect called Vitorino with other friends of him who watch the match in my home brought with them wine (Tua Sabu) five water container and drank it in my home. And therefore I beat them but they did not care of what I was saying and worst than that they spill the wine inside my home,” Agapito said. He added, “I was dissatisfied with their attitude and therefore I turn of the TV but they were dissatisfied with me, they insuledt and threw stoned at my home. The suspect also stubbed to my hand with a knife but fortunately I was protected by a friend.”

*President Horta concerned about Carrascalăo criticism against AMP Govt *Diario Nacional, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta is concerned about the recent criticism of Deputy Prime Minister for Management and Public Administration Mario Viegas Carrascalăo as he [Carrascalăo] disagrees with the additional stated budged for 2010 approved by the National Parliament recently. President Horta said that Deputy PM Carrascalăo also take part in the Parliamentary Majority Alliance (AMP) Government and therefore they should discus the Government’s proposal of additional state budget in the meeting of the council of Ministers before they presened it to the Parliament to be discussed. “Deputy PM Carrascalăo also takes part in the AMP Government cabinet and therefore they should discus anything in the meeting of the Council of Ministers before sending it to the Parliament,” President Horta said. Meanwhile, Deputy PM Carrascalăo had recently said that he was pessimistic with the Government’s official capability to execute well the additional state budget for 2010 worth US$177,985. In regard to this issue, MP Natalino dos Santos from the National Congress for the Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT) has called on the Deputy PM Carrascalăo to resign from his political post as he has always criticized the AMP Government.

*Pinto: Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) remain calm *Diario Nacional, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

The State Secretary for Defense, Julio Tomas Pinto has called on the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) to remain calm. Pinto made the call regarding the recent information widespread saying that the Indonesian TNI had set deadline for local residents of Naktuka, of Oecuse. Pinto said the Timorese Government would hold dialog with the Indonesia state leaders in order to seek for solution to resolve the recent problem as soon as possible, adding that the Government would send its officers to investigate the recent information whether it was true or not. “The Government will hold investigation into this case in order to uncover the truth,” Pinto said.

*CNRT calls on Foreign Ministry to come to Naktuka *Diario Nacional, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

MP Pedro da Costa from the National Congress for the Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT) has called on the Foreign Affairs Minister to come to Naktuka in order to take a look closer at the real situation in the area. MP da Costa made the call regarding the recent information widespread saying that the Indonesian TNI set up deadline for local residents of Naktuka to leave the area before 18 of August this year. “I am calling on the Foreign Affairs Ministry not to have information from the leaders only but they have to have information from the local residents as well,” MP da Costa said. Meanwhile, Foreign Affairs Minister, Zacarias Albano da Costa, has recently said that both Indonesian and the Timorese Governments were yet to establish border definitely. He also said he did not believe in the recent information saying the TNI set up the deadline for the local residents of Naktuka.

*Journalist should be critic: Gusmao *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao has called on all the Timorese journalists to be critic by doing investigative reporting to contribute to the country’s development. The prime minister made the comments during an inaugurating ceremony for media graphic center last Saturday at Universidade Dili. Gusmao said when he was still journalists for a daily newspaper called “Avoz de Timor” in 1974 there were many challenges he faced; he therefore called on the Timorese current journalists to be brave in facing the challenges. Gusmao also thanked the country’s media outlets, as they were currently using modern and high technology equipments.

*Horta calls for spiritual institutions’ involvement *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta has called on the Government to involve the country’s religious institutions in the process of electoral registration, as they close to the local residents in the country. Horta said in developing a country, the Government needed data; he therefore called on the people not to hide information. Horta also it was very important to involve the religious institutions in the process of civic education. In relation to security, Horta said the UN and the Timorese National Police (PNTL) would help secure the registration process. He called on the international community and donors to keep supporting the Technical Secretariat for the Electoral Administration (CNE) and the National Electoral Commission (CNE).

*PM appreciates Timor-Leste becomes member of EITI *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

State Secretary for the Council of Ministers, Hermenegildo Pereira said Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao highly appreciated the international secretariat of Extractive Industry Transparency International (EITI), as it had officially included Timor-Leste to become member of the EITI. Pereira said Timor-Leste passed in the process of becoming the EITI membership, due to it had abide by the criteria provided. “Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao was proud, because Timor-Leste passes the criteria to become member of the EITI,” Pereira said. The Government through the state secretariat for the Natural Resources congratulated the team involved and had planned to publicize the EITI’s first report.

*Residents should not hide data *Timor Post, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

President Jose Ramos Horta has called on the residents not to hide data from the team of census. President Horta said that the Government would set a proper plan to better develop this country there should be concrete data about population in the country. President Horta made the comments regarding the Government’s plans to start national census this month. “I am calling for all the people not to hide data from census team. We have to give concrete data on how many people and animal owned by a household. The Government will set up its plan to develop this country based on the data of census,” President Horta said. President Horta is also optimistic that the security situation in the country would remain calm as he believes in the National Police and the United Nations Police would carry out their work well to ensure security in the country.

*Advisor for PM Gusmăo slapped *Timor Post, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

Prime Minister Advisor for Civil Society, Joaquim Freitas was slapped by a resident Duarte “Maulear” Barros, due to he [Freitas] had not processed his budget proposal submitted in 2009. “I was angry because I have submitted my proposal since 2009 but he [Freitas] do not process it up to this time,” Baros said. Barros said the proposal he submitted was about construction of drainage of church in Karabau village of Bobonaro sub-district.

*Government should control building material prices *Timor Post, July 6, 2010 language source: Tetun

Director for Tinolina Lda, Agustinho Gomes said it was important for the Government to better control prices of construction materials, otherwise it would be difficult for companies to manage well implementation of the Government’s development Package Projects (PDD). Gomes stressed that the Government should send its men to control the projects implementation until the project accomplished. “We call on the Government to set up a monitoring team to control the project implementation because the company will manage the project based on the scheme provided by the Government. The Government should send its men to accompany the project implementation until the project completed,” Gomes. He added that each ministry should create its own team to observe the PDD implementation. 


Back to July Menu 
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu