Subject: Timor-Leste News July 13, 2010
Timor-Leste Subscriber News Local and International Media Monitoring.
(The contents of this service do not reflect the views of TLMDC. News and opinion is summarized; and headlines are edited in English to give the best possible sense of the original headline. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin; or for tailored sector-specific monitoring contact: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Local Daily News
July 13, 2010 *Timor-Leste will not accept proposal of processing center refugee *Diario Nacional, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Parliamentary President Fernando “Lasama” de Araujo has officially released a resolution not to allow the Timorese Government to set up processing center for refugees in the country. Lasama said that Timor-Leste was not a dustbin, adding that Timor-Leste would not agree with the Australian Government’s proposal of setting up detention center for refugees. Meanwhile, MP Arsenio Paixão Bano also said that Timor-Leste would not allow setting up detention center in the country for emigrants from other countries. “Fretilin is following information that the Australian Government will send a team to Timor-Leste to hold negotiation with the Timorese Government to talk on a possibility of setting up detention center and therefore we call on the Government not to agree with the Australian Government to receive foreign refugees who are living in Australia now,” MP Bano said.
*Philippine Government sends back nine Timorese students *Diario Nacional, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Minister for Education João Cancio Freitas has confirmed that the Philippine Government has sent back nine of the Timorese Students who were doing their study in Philippines due to having bad attitude. Minister Freitas made the comments regarding an official letter he received from the Timorese ambassador to Philippine, adding that the total Timorese students in Philippines were 109, but nine of them had been sent back to the country. Minister Freitas added that there were 40 other students would also be deported as the Philippine Government had warned them.
*Decision of freeing Bere is right *Diario Nacional, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Parliamentary President Fernando “Lasama” de Araujo said the decision made to free the ex-militia commander Maternus Bere was the right decision as it had brought positive impact on the country’s people to live in a peaceful situation at this time. Lasama stressed that the Government was regulated by the law, but the Government had power to make political decision in order to guarantee peace and stability within the country. Lasama added that it was important to defend national interest rather than a prisoner and therefore decision made by the Government was positive. “This is a political decision that should be made by the State at that time. We all abide by the law but we can make decision any time as well. If people say the State decision is a crime then all the Government officers are criminals but not only the Justice Minister Luci Lobato,” Lasama said.
*Parliament calls on Govt to think carefully before allowing another telecom company to invest in the country *Diario Nacional, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
MPs Inacio Moreira from Fretilin and MP Arão Noe from the National Congress for the Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT) have called on the Government to think carefully before allowing another telecom company coming to invest in the country to compete with Timor Telecom (TT). MPs Moreira and Noe made the comments regarding the recent statement of the Finance and Planning Minister, Emilia Pires saying the Government through the Council of Ministers had approved policy of liberalization of telecommunication to allow other telecom company to invest in Timor-Leste. MP Moreira said the former Fretilin Government had signed an agreement with TT to manage telecommunication in the country for 15 years afterward the opportunity would be handed over to the Timorese People to manage it. “It is possible for the Government to allow another telecom company to come for competing with TT, but it is important to consider contract made by the former Fretilin Government with TT as well,” MP Moreira said. MP Arão Noe also said that there was a possibility for the Government to allow another company, but the Government should consider contract made by the former Fretilin Government as the contract was about to end.
*PNTL calls for Govt support *Diario Nacional, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Police Commander, Commissioner Police Longuinhos Monteiro has called on the Government to continue supporting the National Police, so that they could carry out their work optimally in the future. “I just to inform to the Deputy Prime Minister Jose Luis Guterres who represents Prime Minister that the National Police institution perform its roles based on the rules set by the Government in order to fulfill some basic requests of the State,” Monteiro said. Monteiro added, “We are serving the country with skills we have and therefore we call on the Government to continue supporting the PNTL so that we can carry out our work optimally in the future.”
*Parliament rejects Australia’s proposal of setting up processing center for refugee *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Parliament has produced a resolution to reject the Australian prime minister’s proposal asking the Timorese Government to set up a processing center for refugee from abroad. Parliamentary President Fernando “Lasama” de Araujo said the resolution passed with unanimity to place the country’s political position in a way that the Government could abide by it. Some MPs are doubtful with the Government’s position, Lasama said this was the Parliament’s position and said the Government should obey it.
*AMP does not want to put hands into Lobato’s case *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Parliamentary Majority Alliance (AMP) has declared not to put hands into the recent decision of the Public Prosecution to charge Minister for Justice, Lucia Lobato regarding the release of the ex-militia commander, Maternus Bere last year. MP Aderito Hugo da Costa said they did not want to make intervention to the decision made by the Public Prosecution to charge Minister Lobato as an accused. “If the minister is concerned about, I think this is also a process and that will come until the end of the process. I do trust that President Horta will not reverse from his responsibility,” Da Costa said. He added that the court would charge Horta and other leaders who had ordered Lobato to release Bere. On the other hand MP, Carmelita Moniz said the country’s politicians should not put hands into this decision, as the case was now in the court.
*F-FDTL shared with good governance issue *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Timorese Human Rights and Justice Ombudsman (PDHJ) have shared information with the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) officers on good governance on Monday (12/7). Speaking to journalists, Ombudsman Deputy, Silveiro Pinto said the information sharing was made to help facilitate the defense force’s officers to know about good governance and role of the PDHJ in promoting and protecting human rights in the country. “F-FDTL is a public institution for this State; therefore we want our military force to become professional in future,” Pinto said.
*Fretilin urges justice minister to resign *Timor Post, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
During a political statement in the Parliament, Fretilin bench has urged Minister for Justice, Lucia Lobato to resign from her post, due to she is now being the accused of the ex-militia commander, Maternus Bere’s release. MP Arsenio Bano from Fretilin said the time had come to implement the law in the right way; everyone should be subject to the law. Bano stressed that the law should not be implemented only for the ordinary people, but should also for the president, the prime minister and the ministers. Meanwhile, MP Carmelita Moniz from CNRT said it was better for the court to resolve this case, as the court’s role was to uncover the truth. Director for Judicial system Monitoring (JSMP) said Minister Lobato should not become victim for Bere’s case, as she was not the one who made decision.
*L-7 calls on PNTL to explain motive of seizing his car *Timor Post, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
MP Cornelio “L-7” da Gama from the UNDERTIM has called on the Timorese National Police (PNTL) to explain the motive of stopping and seizing his car in Becora last Thursday. MP L-7 explained that the police set up a check point to stop his car at about 12:00 pm when he was on his way back from Baucau to Dili. L-7 said he was concerned about such attitude of the police, because there was no warrant of arrest used from the court. L-7 stressed this had showed that the police wanted to become enemy for the veterans like him. MP L-7’s car is now parking at the Dili district police station for further legal purposes. The police seized MP L-7’s car, due to they [the police officers] suspected him of engaging in illegal business by purchasing and selling wheels exported from Indonesia. Meanwhile, MP Faustino “Renan Selak” dos Santos who is also from UNDERTIM chased up a police officer with machete in Lautem district, as the police officer alleged him of only roaming around in the jungle during the country’s resistance time and doing nothing. MP Renan Selak recognized that he was directly engaged in the case, because he was provoked by the police officer who strongly supported a wideranging special autonomy for East Timor in 1999 by Indonesia. Renan called on the police commander to take necessary action against this police officer and should resolve this case shortly.
*Optimal contribution necessary to avoid prostitution: SEPI *Timor Post, July 13, 2010 language source: Tetun
State Secretary for Promotion and Equality (SEPI), Idelta Maria Rodrigues said optimal contribution and collaboration from all sides was necessary to avoid prostitution in Timor-Leste. “I think issue of prostitution in the country is not only being issue for SEPI, but it is our problem. Therefore we should unite to resolve it,” Rodrigues said. Rodrigues affirmed that SEPI was currently cooperating with some ministers and NGOs to motivate the country’s man and woman to help resolve prostitution in the country integrally.
*Timor-Leste and Australia start discussing detention center for refugee *Radio Timor-Leste, July 12, 2010 language source: Tetun
Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Zacarias da Costa said Timor-Leste and Australia have started discussing the Australian prime minister’s proposal of setting up processing center for the refugee in Timor-Leste on Monday (12/7). Da Costa said the Australian delegations had today started discussing Prime Minister Gillard’s proposal with the Timorese Government in Dili. Da Costa added that the discussion was important for the two countries to know the content of the proposal before taking decision. Da Costa also said Timor-Leste always opened to any discussion which was about regional and humanitarian issues and said the country had no intention to get sympathy and benefits from Australia.
*Some civil societies narrow-minded to keep demanding international court: Gusmao *Radio Timor-Leste, July 12, 2010 language source: Tetun
Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao has strongly criticized some of the NGOs saying they are narrow-minded, as keep demanding international court for processing the 1999’s serious crime committed perpetrators. The prime minister was referring to the demands of some NGOs that were continuing to ask legal process for serious crime committed perpetrators. Gusmao added that the general law urged Timor-Leste to hold justice for the serious crime perpetrators, but in fact Timor-Leste also urged the state to make reconciliation with the perpetrators. Gusmao stressed that as prime minister he should have wider views to look at everything than an NGO that only worked for one issue.
*Security situation in Dili is going well: Commander Belo *Radio Timor-Leste, July 12, 2010 language source: Tetun
Dili District Police Commander, Superintendent Chief Pedro Belo said security situation in the Capital of Dili during the first day of the census of population was going well. The commander stressed that the National Police (PNTL) in the Capital Dili was controlling process of the census in which the residents were enthusiastic taking part in the census. Belo also said his police officers had built good relations with the census team during the household census in the Capital Dili. Belo added that there were some people and waitresses in the restaurant surprised with the presence of the census technical team, yet the team members explained their purpose of the visit. The PNTL officers are being deployed to provide security during the process of census population in the country.