Subject: AFP: Ex-Timor governor flees to Portugal
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:44:15 -0400
From: "John M. Miller" <fbp@igc.apc.org>

Received from Joyo:

Ex-Timor governor defects to Portugal

LISBON, April 24 (AFP) - The former governor of East Timor, Mario Carascalao, who was an adviser to Indonesian President Yussuf Habibie, has fled to the Portuguese territory of Macau, the Portuguese news agency Lusa reported.

Carascalao was quoted as saying he would not return to Indonesia unless elections scheduled in June ushered in genuine democracy in that country.

On his arrival in Macau from Jakarta, Carrascalao who was accompanied by his wife and young daughter, said he had received death threats and was afraid for the safety of his family.

He said he was on a "black list" drawn up by the army for having criticised in January the autonomy plan proposed by Jakarta for East Timor, a former Portuguese colony which Indonesia forcibly occupied in 1975 and annexed a year later, according to the Lusa report Thursday.

Carrascalao said he planned to travel to Portugal. "If I stay in Jakarta, I will be forced to hide and to keep silent. I want to go on contributing to solving the problem of East Timor and to continue to criticise what is wrong," he was quoted as saying.

Carrascalao met Portuguese President Jorge Sampaio in Lisbon last month during a brief visit to Portugal. At the time, he said he believed independence was the only solution for East Timor.

"There is no doubt that an overwhelming majority of Timorese will reject the broader autonomy proposed by Jakarta. I personally will vote for independence," he said.

Back to April Menu
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
June '98 through February '99