| Subject: New Matilda: Inside East Timor's
Refugee Camps
East Timor: Inside East Timor's Refugee Camps
By: <http://www.newmatilda.com/home/listarticlebyauthor.asp?articleID=1849>Carmela
Baranowska
Wednesday 4 October 2006
When the Australian Federal Police (AFP) fired tear gas towards the
refugee camp, the young men who had launched the initial attack with
stones and bows and arrows had already fled. But they had run away from
the refugees in the opposite direction and not towards the camp. Some but
not all of the young men living inside the camp had reacted by throwing
rocks in retaliation. These small details are important, as will become
apparent later.
Next door to the most expensive hotel in East Timor, in a park which
has seen both Portuguese and Indonesian citizens sit and relax, live some
of the capital’s most destitute residents. They have been sleeping under
tarpaulins as refugees for the past four months. Despite repeated requests
to the UNHCR, they have not been provided with proper tents, as has
happened in most of the other camps where the UN agency’s name acts as
both universal signifier and logo.
A steady stream of diplomats, UN bureaucrats, opposition politicians
and Portuguese school teachers sit and drink espressos and eat pastéis de
nata in Hotel Timor’s chic bistro. But the refugees or in aid-speak,
‘internally displaced people’ who live in a parallel geographic
world, have nowhere to go. Their houses have been burnt down and their
possessions stolen.
While schools, the public service and government all function by day,
by night many public servants, members of parliament and even government
ministers return to sleep under tents. People are beginning to question
whether the four-month-old crisis will ever end and importantly, how
East Timor’s leaders will resolve the present impasse.
Dili is in limbo. Its leaders and many of its residents have staked all
of their hopes on the release of the report of the International Special
Inquiry Commission into the events of April and May 2006, which is due in
the next week. Not everyone will be satisfied, and unconfirmed reports of
guns secretly moving across the Indonesian border to the Western districts
have been doing the rounds for the past few weeks. The situation remains
unstable, despite the fact that East Timor has dropped off the
international media’s radar.
On Thursday 28 September, when the AFP, the Portuguese Guardia Nacional
Republicana (GNR) and Malaysian police launched their joint attack on the
refugee camp, it was hot and life in Dili was going on in its usual
soporific late afternoon way.
The Malaysian police, bearing sawn off semi-automatic rifles,
repeatedly attempted to stop me from filming. It was laughable really, and
in the end they had to give up. They turned their attention to knocking
down makeshift tables and kicking over chairs while some refugees sat and
impassively watched the arrest of young men.
Malaysian police called the East Timorese ‘dogs’ and AFP officers
described East Timor as ‘this fucking nation’ according to refugees I
spoke to immediately after the attack. The GNR told the refugees they were
there ‘to maintain calm and security.’ Unfortunately they only spoke
Portuguese and not one Tetum-speaking translator was working alongside any
of the police forces.
Other refugees were vocal in their criticisms. They claimed that the
wrong young men were arrested. They wanted to know why tear gas was fired
so close to a refugee camp, where most of the residents are women with
small children. ‘What have we done wrong?’ a young woman asked me, ‘it
was the young men who came here and provoked the attack by firing bows and
arrows. The police haven’t done the right thing here.’
‘The only thing the Government knows is how to divide the people,’
another woman told me. ‘They don’t know how to look after the people,
all they’re interested in is money. People have no rights. Some people
were just sitting quietly. We’re only ordinary people here. Our
possessions are all gone and we’re still suffering.’
Twenty-eight young men were arrested on 28 September. Three days later
they were all released.
The first time I visited this camp was in mid-June, when I sat and
watched the local news with Elizaria, a high school teacher in her late
40s who is from the Eastern tip of East Timor. Alfredo Reinado, the
renegade police military commander, was beginning to hand over his weapons
to Australian soldiers in Maubisse. Elizaria was happy that Reinado no
longer seemed to be a threat but she told me sadly that she could not
return home as her house had been burnt down.
Now, four months later, Reinado is on the run again. According to
sources, he freely travels around the western-most part of East Timor. He
is still armed, as is the ‘Rai Los’ group (led by Vicente da
Conceição, who claimed on ABC TV’s Four Corners that Alkatiri ordered
him to set up a hit squad to wipe out opponents), which is based in
Liquica and staying at the coffee estate of the President of the Social
Democratic Party, Mário Carrascalão.
Elizaria no longer works as a high school teacher as she does not feel
safe in her school. Her 20-year-old son was wounded by gunfire during an
attack by ex-East Timor National Police officers on 1 September at the
camp opposite the hotel. He is waiting to be evacuated to Australia and
the bullet is still lodged in his back. Elizaria visits him everyday in
the hospital.
‘Young people are traumatised,’ she told me. ‘That is why they
are involved in these activities. I feel very sad and I often feel like
crying because our leaders are not interested in our plight.’
Today I visited Elizaria and her son in the hospital. Dili’s National
Hospital has also become a refugee camp. In the past few months it has
been attacked by different gangs. Some people no longer felt safe seeking
treatment there. There is no running water and the families of patients
must queue at the front gate and fill their buckets and containers with
water from a pipe which runs continuously. Up to 10 days ago even the city’s
taxi drivers were too afraid to enter its main entrance. Now East Timorese
security guards stand at the different entrances but if there is a
sustained attack they will be helpless to stop it.
For Elizaria and her son and the other refugees in the hospital, these
conditions are now a reality of everyday life. []
About the author
Carmela Baranowska has been filming in East Timor since March 1999. She
was the only Australian journalist continuously living in Dili during the
May-July 2006 crisis.
newmatilda.com/home/article
Back to October menu
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu
|