| Subject: AP: JRH says Dili will consider
ratifying revenue treaty next month
Also:
East Timor to soon ratify Sunrise oil and
gas treaty
East Timor's premier says Dili will consider ratifying revenue treaty
next month
The Associated Press
Published: October 12, 2006
CANBERRA, Australia East Timor's parliament will next month consider
ratifying a revenue sharing treaty with Australia covering Timor Sea
energy resources that would remove one of the stumbling blocks to the
development of a major oil and gas project, East Timor's prime minister
said Thursday.
Under an accord signed in January, Australia and East Timor will
equally share revenue from the seabed Greater Sunrise oil and gas field.
Australia plans to ratify the deal after it has been endorsed by East
Timor's parliament.
"I have scheduled the treaty for discussion in the Cabinet, maybe
next week or the week after, and definitely then it will be brought to the
parliament in sometime in November for ratification," East Timor's
Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta told reporters after meeting his
Australian counterpart John Howard.
Ramos-Horta has previously said he didn't anticipate any difficulty in
getting the parliament to ratify the treaty.
Australian energy company Woodside Petroleum Ltd. owns and operates
33.4 percent of Sunrise, located 150 kilometers 150 (93 miles) south of
East Timor. Its partners are ConocoPhillips with 30 percent, Royal Dutch
Shell PLC with 26.6 percent and Japan's Osaka Gas Co. with 10 percent.
Greater Sunrise the largest known petroleum resource in the Timor
Sea includes the Sunrise and Troubadour fields, which together hold
about 8 trillion cubic feet of gas and about 300 million barrels of oil
and may be worth up to US$40 billion (€32 billion).
The Sunrise partners are yet to decide where the gas will be processed,
with Woodside favoring the Australian port city of Darwin and the East
Timor government pushing for it to be processed in its country.
Australia and East Timor also signed a security agreement covering the
Timor Sea oil and gas fields on Thursday.
The security pact will allow each country to conduct surveillance
operations and to respond separately or cooperatively to any threats
to offshore oil platforms and facilities in the area.
-- Market Watch/Dow Jones
East Timor to soon ratify Sunrise oil and gas treaty
By Barbara Adam
Last Update: 5:35 AM ET Oct 12, 2006
CANBERRA (MarketWatch) -- East Timor's parliament is expected to ratify
a revenue sharing treaty covering Timor Sea oil and gas next month,
removing one of the stumbling blocks to the development of the Greater
Sunrise oil and gas project.
East Timor Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta said Thursday he expected
his cabinet to consider the ratification of the treaty in coming weeks,
allowing it to be put before the parliament in November.
Under an accord signed in January, Australia and East Timor will
equally share revenue from the Greater Sunrise oil and gas field in the
Timor Sea.
A spokeswoman for Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
said the treaty was expected to be tabled in federal parliament "in
due course" after East Timor ratified the agreement.
Ramos-Horta has previously said he didn't anticipate any difficulty in
getting the parliament to ratify the treaty.
Greater Sunrise - the largest known petroleum resource in the Timor Sea
- includes the Sunrise and Troubadour fields, which together hold about 8
trillion cubic feet of gas and about 300 million barrels of oil, which may
be worth up to US$40 billion.
Woodside Petroleum Ltd. (WPL.AU) owns and operates 33.4% of Sunrise,
located 150 kilometers south of East Timor. Its partners are
ConocoPhillips (COP) with 30%, Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSB.LN) with 26.6%
and Japan's Osaka Gas Co. (9532.TO) with 10%.
The Sunrise partners are yet to decide where the gas will be processed
with Woodside favoring Darwin and the East Timor government pushing for it
to be processed in its country.
Australia and East Timor also signed a security agreement covering the
Joint Petroleum Development Area in the Timor Sea on Thursday.
The security pact will allow each country to conduct surveillance
operations and to respond - separately or cooperatively - to any threats
to offshore oil platforms and facilities in the area.
Seven projects have production sharing contracts to operate in the
Joint Petroleum Development Area, according to the Timor Sea Designated
Authority website, including projects operated by Woodside and
ConocoPhillips.
At a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister John Howard
in Canberra, Ramos-Horta also said his government wanted Australian
peacekeeping troops to remain in East Timor at least until the country's
next federal election in May 2007.
Australia has about 950 soldiers and police personnel in East Timor,
serving alongside military personnel from New Zealand, Malaysia and
Portugal.
The international deployment was sent to East Timor after an outbreak
of violence in March, triggered by former Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri's
decision to fire 600 soldiers.
East Timor was now much calmer than it was earlier in the year, Ramos-Horta
said. He doesn't expect another outbreak of violence when an independent
U.N. report on the earlier crisis was released, possibly as early as
Monday.
Howard said the size of the Australian contingent was
"appropriate" for now and he has no plans to reduce the force.
"We're going to keep a substantial presence there until the
election," he said.
-Contact: 201-938-5400
Back to October menu
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu
|