Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 12 October 2006

[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed from below.]

UNMIT

United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste

Public Information Unit

Daily Media Review

Thursday, 12 October 2006

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office

National Media Reports

Fretilin Rejects Delay Of Report

Fretilin Central Committee has demanded the hand over of the COI report to the National Parliament to avoid growing expected incomprehension and lessening the credibility of the Commission. Speaking during a press conference in Dili on Wednesday, José Reis, Deputy Secretary General of the party stressed that a letter had been sent to the Acting SRSG of the UN in Timor-Leste, Finn Reske-Nielsen asking the UN to present the English version of the report to the Parliament by 12 October. Reis said the translation of the document could be left for last, adding that delaying the report would not contribute to diminishing the current situation. He also appealed to all members of Fretilin to welcome the report regardless of the results, adding Fretilin rejects violence and wants to contribute to peace and stability of the nation. He said the result of the investigation on the recent crisis would be a lesson for Fretilin, for the nation and for the people, and if some leaders have been condemned, the people must accept it. José Reis further said those people involved in the crisis must be tried, as it would also be a lesson for the new generation.

In the meantime, Director of HAK Association, José Luis Oliveira said screening the SBS documentary film on ‘the downfall of a prime minister’ could be seen as exciting the people and as a way to make them accept the film as the truth rather than the results of the investigation of the COI. Oliveira said viewing one part of the documentary is not correct as it could confuse the population and he suggested showing the documentary by David O’Shea in order to balance the story and let each person make their own conclusion. José Reis responded that the showing of the documentary was to share information with the population, and to stop many rumours and not to cover up those involved in crimes.

In a separate article, Major Alfredo Reinado said he doubts those people involved in the crisis will abide by the results and recommendations of the COI, noting that what has been anticipated is to act on those still in government and those in possession of guns. (STL, TP, DN)

Results Of COI May Contradict PDHJ

Provedor Direitus Humanus e Justiça (Provedor for Human Rights and Justice), Sebastião Ximenes said his office is still investigating the incidents of April and May therefore it would be a while before the results of the investigation are released. Unlike the COI, Ximenes said, his office operates with very limited resources and needs time to speak to those involved including eyewitnesses noting that some have fled to the districts. He hopes the COI report would not contradict the report of PDHJ. (DN)

International Community Concern With TL’s Situation: Guterres

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, José Luis Guterres said the international community is concerned with the situation in Timor-Leste, therefore the nation must be responsible to them. Guterres said the presentation of the credential letter from the Swedish Ambassador shows that the international community continues to be interested in the country and to follow the situation. The Swedish Ambassador presented his letter of credential to President Gusmao on Wednesday. (STL, DN)

Youth Must Stop Violence And Focus On Independence: Dr. Murphy

Dr. Dan Murphy, Director of Lanud Clinic said the conflict between neighbourhoods has increased and he appeals to the Timorese to stop violence and hatred between each other and focus on peace and strengthening independence rather than face losing it. He said the number of people seeking medical assistance has increased with doctors treating people with knife, and rama ambon (slingshots) wounds. Dr. Murphy said two people are under medical treatment following rock throwing in Comoro, and one was shot through the throat by a rama ambon and needs to be treated at the national hospital but is refusing to go there due to the situation in the hospital. (DN)

PNTL Active

About 50 PNTL officers are now on the ground working with the International Police, UNPOL, said Vice-Minister of Interior, José Agostinho Sequeira. Sequeira said a total of 75 police were supposed to be active by now but 25 are still under training and will join UNPOL next week and be part of the operations and take up the permanent posts, once more UNPOLs arrive. He said following allegations of a threat to the spouse of the Administrator of Maubara, Liquiça sub-district, investigations will be carried out regarding the Liquiça PNTL commander to ascertain the truth and to take measures. Sequeira said the two Administrators have presented their complaints and the Interior Ministry is waiting for the PNTL commander’s report. (DN)

RTTL News Monitoring Reporting 12 ­ 10 ­ 2006

PD Party met Bishop Dili:

RTTL reported that Fernando La Sama, the president of PD and his team, met Bishop of Dili, Alberto Ricardo to present the new structure of the party following the national congress last month. La Sama told RTTL that he asked the bishop to invite Pope Benedict’s XVI to visit Timor-Leste and bless the people and the country. Bishop Alberto Ricardo urged all organs and components, particularly those actors of crisis to be responsible for the crisis. Bishop also urged the justice sector to be strong.

International Media Reports

Gusmao urged to hand over power

Lindsay Murdoch October 12, 2006

EAST Timor's President and independence hero, Xanana Gusmao, has been urged to consider quitting politics by the International Crisis Group think-tank, which has warned that the country's turmoil is far from over. The group, led by the former Australian foreign minister Gareth Evans, also warns that the report of a United Nations inquiry into violence in the capital, Dili, in April and May will be "explosive", and says Australian and other international security forces in the country should be ready for new protests. The ruling Fretilin party yesterday called on the UN to immediately release its report - which is likely to name those who fomented the unrest - saying delays are fuelling rumours, unrest and violence. The Brussels-based International Crisis Group says Mr Gusmao and the deposed prime minister, Mari Alkatiri, "may need to think the unthinkable" and forgo any role in national elections scheduled to be held in April or May next year so that "new leaders can emerge". "Alkatiri's defiant stance, before and after he resigned, and Xanana's polarising speeches, however accurate their content, have made a bad situation worse," the group says in its latest report. It quotes an unnamed Timorese leader as saying "we may have to sacrifice some of our heroes" to save the country from further bloodshed. Open criticism of Mr Gusmao, the charismatic former guerilla fighter, is rare in East Timor, where he has been regarded as the country's most popular and influential figure. The International Crisis Group says the roots of the problem lie partly in battles and betrayals that occurred within Fretilin just before and during Indonesia's occupation of the half-island territory. These disputes, particularly between Mr Gusmao and Fretilin central committee members, carried over into the government that was formed after East Timor became independent in 2002, the report says. Mr Gusmao, Mr Alkatiri and the armed forces commander, Taur Matan Ruak, "hold the keys to resolving the impasse at the top" of the country, it says. Foreign aid will not achieve much unless Mr Gusmao and Mr Alkatiri are "willing to get past mutual distrust and discuss" how to overcome the security forces' polarisation and heal an east-versus-west divide, the report says. (Sydney Morning Herald)

East Timor leader says UN inquiry into Dili violence could be released by Monday

The Associated Press

Published: October 11, 2006

CANBERRA, Australia A U.N. inquiry into recent violence that crippled the East Timorese capital could be released by early next week and is unlikely to rekindle the chaos, the country's prime minister said Thursday. Armed factions clashed in the streets of Dili in April and May, killing more than 30 people and sending 150,000 others fleeing from their homes. A report of a U.N. Independent Special Commission of Inquiry, which will name individuals it deems responsible, was supposed to be released last week, but publication has been delayed amid fears it could spark more violence. "The report might be released by Monday," Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta told reporters in Canberra, adding that he had no control over the timing of the release and was not aware of its contents. Ramos-Horta said he did not agree with observers who predicted the report would stir more violence. "I'm confident that we will react to it with serenity because the vast majority of the people don't want violence and the political leaders in the last few weeks have shown responsibility and maturity," the Nobel Peace Prize laureate said. "So I'm more confident than some observers who have expressed ... some concern about the possibility of violence," he added. Fretilin, the ruling party of ousted Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri, demanded Wednesday that the report be presented to Parliament within 24 hours so the truth behind the recent unrest would be known. U.N. spokeswoman Donna Cusumano in Dili said Wednesday the report, with translations in local Tetum, Portuguese and Bahasa Indonesia, is due to be released within days. East Timor's recent violence was sparked by Alkatiri's decision in March to fire 600 soldiers, about a third of the army, who had accused the military leadership of discrimination. But it goes back much further to allegiances formed when East Timor was under Indonesian rule. Calm returned shortly after the arrival of foreign peacekeepers led by Australia in May. Ramos-Horta, who was selected interim leader to break a political stalemate created by the crisis, told Australian Prime Minister John Howard that the capital was now free of major violence. "I told the prime minister that situation has very much calmed down," Ramos-Horta said at a joint news conference with Howard at Parliament House. "Political tensions (are) significantly lower in the last two weeks with a lot of dialogue taking place," he added. (International Herald Tribune ­ Asia Pacific)

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office


Back to October menu 
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu