Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 13 October 2006

[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed from below.]

UNMIT

United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste

Public Information Unit

Daily Media Review

Friday, 13 October 2006

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office

National Media Reports

Recommendation of ICG Against Convention

MP Clementino Amaral (KOTA) said the report of the International Crisis Group, which recommends that among other leaders, former Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri and President Gusmão should not be involved in the 2007 elections, is against the Political and Civil Rights Convention. Amaral further said the recommendation is not appropriate because everybody is still waiting for the result of the COI and it would not be democratic if the group already has access to the report. The Chairman of ETPA, Cecilio Caminha said the recommendation is good but the government of Timor-Leste had already adopted and approved the convention, therefore its citizens have the right to vote and be politically active if they wish. Other political leaders are of the same opinion, saying no one can stop them from being active in politics. (STL)

UNPOL Would Stop Violence

Acting Police Commissioner, Antero Lopes reportedly said during Thursday’s press conference that the United Nations police will mount security in Dili, the districts and sub-districts in time for the release of the COI report. Lopes said at the moment there are 648 police from 13 nations and 200 more police are arriving from 20 nations next week and the police would not tolerate more violence. Lopez said UNPOL would take a firm stand on those people committing violence. On the issues of guns, Lopes said a total of around 232 guns, have not yet been handed in by the PNTL officers, noting 100 out of this number are pistols. During the press conference, Antero also said that President Gusmão has never interfered in the work of the international forces in detaining Major Alfredo who is currently in hiding. He said UNPOL has identified that the case of Colmera has affiliation with the stabbing of the STAE staff, saying soon police will detain those involved in the crime, adding it is not related to the recent crisis.

Acting Commander for the Joint Stabilisation Force, Lieutenant Colonel Rerden said the Australian and New Zealand forces continue to collaborate with UNPOL in providing security to the population. In a separate article, Commander Rerden said the International Forces have recaptured two prisoners who escaped with Major Alfredo’s group.

At the same press conference, Acting SRSG Finn Reske-Nielsen said the COI report will be released sometime in the next 8 days, adding many political parties have requested UNMIT for the quick release of the document but said it is not possible as the translations are not yet complete. Reske-Nielsen further said UNMIT has consulted with all Timorese leaders and civil society to receive the report with humility and serenity. The Acting SRSG said he welcomed the joint appeal by the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister and the Speaker of the National Parliament, to the population to be calm and to continue their daily activities. (STL, TP)

Dialogue Based On Political Proximity

Maria Domingas Fernandes Alves, coordinator of the Commission of the Dialogue and Community Reintegration said the scheduled dialogue would first analyse the political proximity in order to create an environment of understanding. Alves said the commission would only facilitate the return of the population to their homes and that the objective and focus of the dialogue is on the youth. She said it is a difficult and complex task to try to convince the youth to participate in the dialogue, adding it would need to begin from the grassroots level. In the meantime, a member of the same commission, Joao ‘Choque’ da Silva said despite the difficulties the commission is facing it is time for the Timorese youth to forgive each other. He said that the Timorese have forgiven the Indonesians and today many Indonesians are living in Timor-Leste, so why can’t the Timorese forgive each other? (STL)

RTTL News Monitoring Reporting

13 ­ 10 ­ 2006

Timor-Leste would receive the result of COI: A/SRSG

RTTL reported that A/SRSG Mr. Finn Reske-Nielsen said that the people of Timor-Leste would receive the result of the Commission of Inquiry report when it is released. He said that during this time UNMIT has consulted with all components and civil society in regard to the results of the COI. The UNPOL Commissioner Antero Lopes stated that UNPOL would guarantee security for the people in Timor-Leste. Regarding the prisoners that escaped from prison, Lopes stated that two people have been captured and are now back in the prison.

Discussion of electoral law in NP : Vicente Guterres, President of Commission A stated that the discussion of the electoral law has ended but Commission A will elaborate on all ideas and submit them to the plenary for discussion. The Minister of Planning and Finance stated that the budget for the general elections in 2007 amounts to US $10,000,000. Minister of State Ana Pessoa stated that there is a need to have the law of National Electoral Commission and then they will work as an independent organ. At the same time Sebastião Dias Ximenes, the Ombudsmen of Human Rights and Justice, stated that as an independent institution they have no political tendency for the electoral law; they just submit opinions and recommendations to the National Parliament in relation to the two draft electoral laws that are still being debated by National Parliament.

Political Parties list:

Minister of Justice Domingos Sarmento stated that there are 15 political parties already on the list. He said that 8 political parties have been approved by the Court of Appeal. He said that just one political party has been rejected by the court of appeal which is the PDC party version Olandina party.

International Media Reports

EAST TIMOR: PEOPLE SHOULD RECEIVE U.N. REPORT CALMLY, SAYS U.N. ENVOY

Dili, 12 Oct. (AKI) - The United Nations Integrated Missions in East Timor (UNMIT) acting administrator, Finn Reske-Nielsen, urged the people of East Timor to receive the final report of the UN Independent Special Commission of Inquiry, calmly and "with an open heart". The report, compiled by a UN-appointed Independent Special Commission of Inquiry, is expected to name those responsible for the political crisis and the riots in April and May that left 30 dead and forced roughly 120, 000 people to flee their homes. Speaking to reporters at the UNMIT headquarters on Thursday, Reske-Nielsen said that the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights intends to release the report as soon as it ready. “At the moment it is being translated but I wish to confirm that we expect the report to be released in a matter of days,” he said disclosing that, in the past several weeks, there have been consultations with leaders from every facet of the East Timorese society with regards to the urgency of releasing the report. “However, I would recommend the people of Timor to receive it with an open heart,” he added. In a recent analysis, the International Crisis Group said that the report is likely to be "explosive" and advised Australian and other international security forces in the country, to be ready for new protests and demonstrations. Yet, East Timor's prime minister, Jose Ramos-Horta has said to be optimistic and discarded the possibility of further problems in the troubled former Portuguese colony. "I'm confident that we will react to it with serenity because the vast majority of the people don't want violence and the political leaders in the last few weeks have shown responsibility and maturity," the Nobel Peace Prize laureate said in Canberra, Australia, where he is currently on a visit. The recent violenece in East Timor was sparked by ousted prime minister Mari Alkatiri's decision in March to fire 600 soldiers, about a third of the army, who had accused the military leadership of discrimination. Reports say that the problem actually does go back much further to allegiances formed when East Timor was under Indonesian rule. Calm returned shortly after the arrival of foreign peacekeepers led by Australia in May. Ramos-Horta was eventually selected interim leader to break a political stalemate created by the crisis. (Adnkronosinternational www.adnki.com)

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNMIT Public Information Office


Back to October menu 
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu