| Subject: The frictions that ignited the
troubles in East Timor
Also Canberra Times: A missed chance in East Timor
The Courier Mail (Australia)
October 21, 2006 Saturday
The frictions that ignited the troubles in East Timor
Tim Johnston
EAST Timor used to be the poster child for international intervention,
but a report published this week by a group of United Nations
investigators illustrates just how shallow the veneer of success was and
just how difficult getting the country back on track is going to be.
The report investigates the spasm of violence that rocked the country
in April and May this year: the police and army fought pitched gun battles
with each other, and the civilians they illegally gave guns attacked
ordinary people, and in one case burned down a house with six people
inside, four of them children.
By the time Australian troops had flown in and imposed a semblance of
law and order, at least 38 people were dead, 69 injured, 1650 houses
burned and almost 150,000 people driven from their homes. And all this in
a country with a population two thirds the size of Brisbane.
It is a murky story of rampant political opportunism, the settling of
old scores and the sullen anger of a disappointed and frustrated
population. And the result is a schism that has split society down the
middle and will be extremely difficult to heal.
But Jaoquim Fonseca, the human rights adviser to the new Prime
Minister, Jose Ramos Horta, remains optimistic. ''This provided a big
political lesson to the people,'' he says, and not one they are going to
forget in a hurry. ''The consequences of this crisis are very real for
ordinary people.'' He says that in future East Timorese will take a more
cynical view of politicians and politics.
The UN report, by an international commission of experts, is scathing
about almost every one of Timor's small political elite. It recommends
that the then interior minister, Rogerio Lobato, and the head of the army,
Taur Matan Ruak, be prosecuted for handing out weapons to civilians, and
that the former prime minister, Mari Alkatiri, be further investigated.
East Timor has weathered problems before, but it has relied on
President Xanana Gusmao and the influential Catholic Church to be
mediators, and this time they are both seen as having taken sides.
It wasn't supposed to be this way. After the trauma of escaping from
Indonesia in 1999, the international community -- with a huge contribution
from Australia -- nurtured the infant nation, providing millions of
dollars worth of aid, training and assistance. But it was only a matter of
months after the bulk of the international advisers left that the country
all but collapsed.
The immediate tension was a split between eastern residents and those
from the west, but Fonseca says that was merely the way much deeper
problems bubbled to the surface.
''The systems were not strong enough, so that when the people were
confronted by these issues, their national identity as Timorese was not
strong enough to overcome the division,'' he says.
A recent report by the International Crisis Group (ICG), headed by
former foreign minister Gareth Evans finds slightly different roots in the
clashes of personality and politics among Timor's elite, many of whom have
disliked each other since the 1970s.
But many East Timorese say that although these provided the friction
that finally ignited the conflagration, the real fuel was much more basic:
East Timor is still one of the poorest countries in Asia. It will take
generations to build the economy, and after this week's report it seems
they are going to have to do it without much of the political elite,
almost all of whom have been tarnished.
Both the UN and ICG reports are scathing about Lobato.
The ICG says he had been building up the police force into a personal
militia, trying to divide society to create a personal power base
regardless of the risk to the country's fragile democracy.
His contribution after a demonstration outside Government House was
particularly unhelpful. He arrived at police headquarters wearing body
armour, yelling ''kill them all''. The police then issued him with a
machinegun and 2000 rounds of ammunition, although there is no indication
he used it.
Lobato is under arrest and being prosecuted. Ramos Horta says the head
of the army has accepted the findings of the commission, but one of the
most violent rebels is still hiding out in the hills, heavily armed and
trying to dictate terms.
The UN special envoy to East Timor has said the country is not a failed
state but a democracy trying to find its feet, and Fonseca agrees, saying
that although the upcoming trial process will be difficult, it is
something the young nation has to go through in its search for a mature
identity.
--
October 20, 2006 Friday
A missed chance in East Timor
The Canberra Times
THE EAST Timorese Government was handed a heaven-sent opportunity this
week to begin the long overdue process of healing the rifts so vividly
exposed by last May's wave of violence. But to the dismay of many, Prime
Minister Jose Ramos-Horta, appears to have put loyalty to the military
ahead of the long-term interests of East Timor, and with it the
possibility that the yawning gulf between the ordinary people and the
governing elites can be bridged.
A United Nations Special Commission of Inquiry - established at the
direct invitation of Ramos-Horta when he was still senior minister and
minister for foreign affairs - delivered its report on Tuesday, with one
of its findings being that the chief of the country's armed forces,
Brigadier-General Taur Matan Ruak, be prosecuted for his role in the
violence that killed more than 30 people and displaced more than 150,000
people from their homes in Dili. Also recommended for prosecution were
former interior minister Rogerio Lobato, renegade army major Alfredo
Reinado and umpteen other rebel soldiers, civilians and security force
members suspected of direct involvement in the violence. Shortly after the
report was issued, however, Ramos-Horta issued a public statement saying
he had full confidence in Ruak and his leadership.
He went further, saying that "Throughout the crisis, the senior
command of F-FDTL [East Timor's defence force] showed zeal and
discipline."
Ramos-Horta's defence of Ruak, while disappointing, is not surprising
insofar as the defence force, for historical reasons, plays a substantial,
even pivotal, role in East Timorese politics. But what is extraordinary is
that Ramos- Horta, who has largely appeared be above the factional
cronyism that characterised the administration of his predecessor, Mari
Alkatiri, should now be implicating himself in the worst aspects of an
incestuous political culture that has brought Asia's smallest and poorest
nation to its knees barely four years after its independence.
The UN commission is well aware of the fragility of East Timor's state
institutions and the weakness of the rule of law. This might explain why
it chose to reserve judgment on the role of Alkatiri. Instead, it called
for further investigations by Timorese authorities to determine whether
the former prime minister should face criminal charges over the transfer
of defence force weapons to civilians who used them to commit assorted
crimes and violations of human rights during the worst days of the crisis.
Whether the country's legal system is sufficiently independent to
investigate one of the country's most powerful politicians remains
unclear. Certainly, the Parliament, which is dominated by the powerful
Fretilin faction (and the one which Alkatiri controls), seems unwilling to
take a leading role, with the head of the faction, Elizario Fereira,
saying on Wednesday that legal action should be left to the judiciary. As
for the role of President Xanana Gusmao during the troubles -during which
time he appeared to remain largely above the fray - the UN commission
cleared him of allegations that he'd ordered Reinado "to carry out
criminal actions" but he was criticised for his failure to show
"more restraint and respect for institutional channels in
communicating directly with Reinado after his desertion". Under the
constitution, Gusmao's ability to directly shape future events in East
Timor as president is limited - his response to the report was to call on
the Parliament to "quickly take political and legislative or legal
actions". Fereira's comment showed this is likely to be a forlorn
hope because the country's judiciary, like East Timor's other
institutions, simply has not had the time to develop the robustness of the
legal systems associated with democracies that carefully observe the
doctrine of the separation of powers.
East Timor's inability to abandon the most corrosive aspects of its
colonial heritage, as well as the legacy of the armed struggle for
independence that led to the creation of an expensive and unnecessary army
and which simply exacerbated political and ethnic rivalries, are at the
heart of its malaise, and only the country's elites can rectify them.
Earlier this month, the International Crisis Group issued a report on
East Timor, in which it iterated the need for reforms in the security
sector before the country's political crisis could begin to be resolved.
But the authors were insistent on the need for "enormous political
magnanimity on the part of a few key actors".
The recommendations of the UN represent an ideal means of strengthening
East Timor's fragile foundations: "Justice, peace and democracy are
mutually reinforcing imperatives. If peace and democracy are to be
advanced, justice must be effective and visible." That the country
leaders seem, at this early stage anyway, to be reluctant to embrace hard
truths, is regrettable. The East Timorese themselves, who were promised so
much at the time of independence, have every right to feel aggrieved.
Back to October menu
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu
|