| Subject: RT: Airport closed after violence
in East Timor
Also AFP, Bloomberg
Reuters
Airport closed after violence in East Timor
Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:32 AM BST
By Lirio da Fonseca
DILI (Reuters) - East Timor's airport in the capital Dili was closed
after violent clashes nearby between groups of youths in which at least
two people were killed, officials and residents said on Wednesday.
The closure since late on Tuesday of the main air hub highlights the
fragile security situation in the fledging nation, despite the presence of
an Australian-led peacekeeping force.
"All flights since last night have been cancelled until today. The
reason for this is because there will be no security guarantee for the
passengers," Rosa, an airport official who goes by one name, told
Reuters.
The closure came amid violent clashes among youth gangs armed with
guns, bows and arrows and rocks near the airport.
Twelve houses were burnt in the fighting, police and residents said.
The first clash occurred late on Tuesday on a main road leading to the
airport with one person killed by gunfire. Another clash broke out early
on Wednesday, killing another resident.
Australian troops guarding the airport had opened fire on an armed man
who approached them in a threatening way, a spokesman for Australian
Defence Minister Brendan Nelson said.
"His actions led to an Australian Defence Force member firing a
number of shots in self-defence," the spokesman said, adding the man
fled. It was unclear whether he was wounded.
Australia led a force of foreign peacekeepers to East Timor in late May
to quell fighting that pitted rival factions in the country's police and
military against one another.
The main airport road reopened later on Wednesday, although the airport
was still closed.
BURNING TYRES
Battles among gangs of youths are common in the impoverished country,
which gained full independence from Indonesia in 2002 and where
unemployment is widespread among the young.
The airport road straddles areas known for frequent gang clashes and
peacekeepers have struggled to contain the sporadic violence, with gangs
often melting away quickly after trouble.
"There were provocateurs in the road that leads to the airport.
They burnt tyres and blocked the road," Nelson, who lives near the
area and did not give a second name, told Reuters.
An Australian police officer said many shots were fired during the
clashes.
The former Portuguese colony plunged into chaos four months ago when a
series of protests developed into widespread violence after 600 members of
the 1,400-strong army were sacked.
An estimated 100,000 people were displaced in the fighting, which led
to the deployment of a 2,500-strong international peacekeeping force.
A strengthened police element in the force has so far struggled to
contain sporadic violence.
Concerns about East Timor's fragile security grew after rebel leader
Major Alfredo Reinado escaped from a Dili prison last month along with 50
other inmates.
Reinado, a key player behind the May revolt, has called for a
"people power" revolution in a letter circulating in the
country.
U.N. spokesman Adrian Edwards said by telephone from Dili the latest
violence had to be viewed in the context of gang-related clashes occurring
throughout October and did not see any link with a U.N. report issued last
week into May's violence.
The report blamed weaknesses in institutions and said there should be a
further investigation to determine whether former prime minister Mari
Alkatiri should be prosecuted over the arming of civilians during the
violence.
(Additional reporting by Rob Taylor in Canberra)
---
Dili airport closed amid clashes
AFP October 25, 2006
East Timor's international airport was closed today after rival armed
groups clashed near the capital, Australian officials and a witness said.
At least one civilian was killed in the fighting which erupted on
Tuesday when a group of youths attacked a refugee camp near the airport,
said the source in Dili who requested anonymity.
Shots were fired, and stones and fuel bombs were thrown during the
fighting, according to the source who said he was with the tiny country's
social affairs minister, Arsenio Bono, when the fighting spread to the
airport.
The pair were among several people trapped for several hours at the
airport which was closed after all those inside were ordered to leave
under the guard of United Nations peacekeepers, he said.
The foreign ministry in Canberra confirmed the closure of the airport
due to the fighting, while the defence ministry said one of its soldiers
stationed at the airfield had fired on a Timorese man.
"Initial reports are that a Timor-Leste national approached an
Australian Defence Force position with a firearm and acted in a
threatening manner," a defence spokeswoman said.
"His actions led to an ADF member firing a number of shots in self
defence.
"The man then fled the scene and it can not be confirmed whether
he was injured in the incident."
Dili has been racked by sporadic violence for months after despite the
arrival in May of Australian-led peacekeepers deployed to stablise the
country as it spiralled into chaos amid violence between security force
factions.
The source in East Timor said he had also heard that one Australian
soldier, part of the UN peacekeeping forces which intervened in the clash,
was hit by a fuel bomb thrown by one of the rival gangs.
The report could not be immediately confirmed.
--
East Timor Closes Airport After Fighting Between Rebel Groups
By Gemma Daley
Oct. 25 (Bloomberg) -- East Timor closed its airport after fighting
between rebel groups, a government spokesman said.
``There has been fighting at the airport since last night and the
airport has been closed today,'' said Joel Maria Pereira, information
officer for the East Timor government, in an interview from the capital,
Dili. ``They are fighting over the usual issues between rebels. The police
are being sent in to solve the problem.''
Thirty-seven people were killed and 155,000 people were forced from
their homes in April and May when fighting between security personnel
escalated into clashes between armed gangs.
About 2,500 peacekeepers from Australia, New Zealand, Portugal and
Malaysia were deployed to the Southeast Asian nation in May to restore
order.
Indonesia invaded East Timor, or Timor-Leste, in 1975 when it was a
Portuguese colony. The country of 1 million people voted for independence
in a 1999 referendum, triggering a campaign of violence by militias,
backed by the Indonesian military, which left hundreds of civilians dead.
The country became independent in May 2002, and the United Nations is
helping to organize elections scheduled for May 2007 and create government
institutions.
To contact the reporter on this story: Gemma Daley in Canberra at <mailto:gdaley@bloomberg.net>gdaley@bloomberg.net
Back to October menu
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu
|