Subject: AU: Venom threatens separate mission
Australian
Venom threatens separate mission
David Nason, New York correspondent September 04, 2006
THE aggressive anti-Australian tone of East Timor's response to the Becora
prison breakout is a sure sign that Canberra will have great difficulty winning
an extension when the joint "green helmet-blue helmet" security
arrangement is reviewed by the UN Security Council next month.
Under the UN mandate passed by the council 10 days ago, the Australian-led
stabilisation force has authority to operate in East Timor separately from the
UN's 1600-strong police deployment.
But as a concession to the many opponents of this shared security system, the
council ordered UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to review the arrangement and
report back within two months.
Significantly, Mr Annan and East Timorese Prime Minister Jose Ramos Horta
were among those who had argued strongest for the military component of the new
mission to be brought under full UN control.
Their many supporters included Portugal, the former colonial ruler of East
Timor, China, Brazil and the three other members of the Australian-led
stabilisation force - New Zealand, Malaysia and The Philippines.
But with powerful backing from the US, Britain and Japan, Australia won the
diplomatic battle and was allowed to continue its independent military role,
albeit on a temporary basis pending Mr Annan's review.
At the time, Australia's UN ambassador Robert Hill said while Canberra was
pleased its military option had been adopted, Australia's soldiers had to prove
to the UN they could deliver on the mission's security demands.
But the prison escape now gives Australia's opponents a compelling argument
that says the Diggers are not up to the job and should be replaced by a
blue-helmet military force.
The venomous East Timorese criticism of Australia is evidence this process is
already under way. Mr Annan made a contribution on Friday when his New York
spokesman said the UN refugee agency, the UNHCR, was "very concerned about
the recent escalation of violence in Dili".
Mr Hill had expressed hope that Australia could win East Timor's support for
the shared security arrangement during the two-month trial period.
But Australia is now looking down the barrel of a public humiliation before
the Security Council next month if it continues to press for an independent role
in East Timor.
Should this happen, many Australians would judge it a grossly unfair
postscript, given the speed and professionalism of the nation's response when
East Timor was in desperate need of help back in April and May.
But others may well ask why Australia - given the clear opposition of the
East Timorese and so many others in the international community - has been so
insistent about operating separately from the UN in the first place.
Back to September
menu
August
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu