Subject: Evidence mounts against Gusmao
East Timor: Evidence Mounts Against Gusmão
By: John Martinkus
New Matilda
Wednesday 20 September 2006
Two weeks ago we revealed <http://www.newmatilda.com/home/articledetail.asp?ArticleID=1795>
written orders from East Timorese President Xanana Gusmão to the rebel
commander Alfredo Reinado that showed a close relationship between the two at
the height of the crisis in Dili in May this year. That was followed by
front-page
revelations
in The Australian that Gusmão paid at least a share of Reinado's hotel bill
during the crisis.
Now, former East Timorese police commander, Abilio 'Mausoko' Mesquita, who
is in jail for his role in the violence, has claimed in a leaked statement that
Gusmão himself ordered him to attack the house of the Commander of East
Timor¹s military, Brigadier Taur Matan Ruak, on 24 and 25 May.
The statement is believed to have been written in Becora prison, where
Mesquita is being held, and delivered to the US Embassy in Dili in order to help
secure his release. If legitimate, it implicates the President in what was
effectively an armed coup to create the conditions for the resignation of the
legally elected Prime Minister of East Timor, Marí Alkatiri. Until now, Gusmão
has either remained silent about his role in the violence or dismissed his close
contact with opposition figures as attempts to bring the situation under
control.
Some Australian commentators maintain the simplistic line that somehow
Alkatiri and his Interior Minister, Rogerio Lobato, engineered the recent crisis
in East Timor. This view simply does not correlate with the facts on the ground,
and does not take into account the details of who was actually shooting at whom.
Now those commentators are either reduced to an embarrassed silence, or are
making accusations of partiality about reporters who are simply uncovering
uncomfortable facts.
Abilio Mesquita was arrested by the Australian Federal Police on 19 June with
several Steyr automatic rifles in his possession. He was filmed at the scene of
the third major incident of the crisis, the attack on Taur Matan Ruak¹s house,
and is alleged to have led it.
According to the statement, Mesquita told the head of the UN mission in East
Timor, Sukehiro Hasegawa, when Hasegawa visited him in prison shortly after his
arrest that: 'during the confrontations between PNTL [the police] and F-FDTL
[the army] and the shooting at the Brigadier¹s house, the Supreme Commander Mr
Xanana gave the command and ordered the shooting.'
Mesquita said he then carried out the attack, but not until he had notified
Taur Matan Ruak himself and four of the most senior commanders in the army, of
his orders from the President. He repeatedly told Hasegawa that it was Gusmão
who was the author of the crisis in East Timor.
Mesquita says he repeated these claims to Prime Minister José Ramos Horta
when Ramos Horta allegedly visited him in jail on 13 August.
The statement also details the visit of two Australian army Majors, who
questioned Mesquita on his role in the violence and where his political
allegiances lay.
(This line of questioning from the Australian Forces, which basically
consists of Œare you with Alkatiri or Gusmão?¹ is common in Dili. Countless
individuals who had been questioned by the Australians, both police and
military, told me that this was the first things the Australians always wanted
to know. The implication was that if the person being questioned answered ŒGusmão¹,
they were considered to be on the right side.)
Mesquita¹s statement also makes reference to a meeting held at the
President¹s office before the crisis where, in the presence of local leaders
including Chief of Police Paulo Martins, José Ramos Horta and the Bishop of
Baucau, it is alleged the President discussed the need to get rid of the
Government of Marí Alkatiri.
Other sources, from within the veterans' organisation for former
independence fighters, independently confirm that in March this year they were
invited to a meeting with the President at his residence in Dare, in the hills
above Dili, in which the plan to remove Alkatiri was discussed. Although the
meeting involved some serving officers in the F-FDTL, the commander, Taur Matan
Ruak, was not invited. At this meeting it was discussed that it was necessary to
remove Alkatiri and his Government because of their perceived Œcommunist¹
sympathies.
This latest development only confirms to many East Timorese what they already
knew. It is widely accepted in East Timor that the President threw his weight
behind the push to get rid of Alkatiri ‹ but what is only spoken of in
whispers is the level of his involvement.
The attempts by the President to intervene in the arrest of Reinado on 26
July and what was perceived as the Australian Forces¹ reluctance to carry
out the arrest ‹ have only added to the rumours. Now, with Reinado and co¹s
escape from prison being blamed on the Australians by Ramos Horta himself, and
the seeming inability of the Australians to catch a man who appears on local
television clearly on the outskirts of Dili, many East Timorese are highly
skeptical of the motives of the Australian police and military.
The release of Abilio Mesquita's statement amounts to a trifecta for Gusmão:
the leaders of the three main attacks on the F-FDTL in May have now publicly
acknowledged their allegiance to the President. Those who led the other two
major attacks ‹ Reinado, in Fatu Ahi on 23 May, and Vicente 'Rai Los' da
Conceição, in Tacitolu on 24 May ‹ have both publicly and repeatedly
declared their support for and loyalty to Gusmão.
And as I wrote
in New Matilda in June, senior sources within the command of the F-FDTL have
also confirmed that in the 18 months leading up to the crisis they were
approached on three occasions by foreign nationals to lead a coup against
Alkatiri. They refused.
The facts are mounting and they paint a disturbing picture of the breakdown
of constitutional democracy in East Timor.
Even more disturbing for East Timor¹s future is information given to me this
week by a senior figure in the East Timorese Government that weapons are being
sought from across the border in Indonesian West Timor by Reinado and his gang
of escaped criminals, and that they are being sold by former Indonesian-backed
militia in the border town of Atambua. The current price is US$800 each for
AR-15 automatic rifles and, according to the same source, Australian authorities
are aware of the trade.
The question remains: if these allegations are true and the President is
directly involved in the violence, then what was Australia¹s role in the
alleged coup? Did Australia encourage Gusmão to remove Alkatiri, and if so,
why?
About the author
John Martinkus covered the conflict in East Timor from 1995 until 2000. He
was resident correspondent in Dili for Associated Press and Australian
Associated Press, from 1998 until 2000.
He is author of A Dirty Little War (Random House, 2001), about the country¹s
violent passage to independence. He recently co-produced the report 'East
Timor: Downfall of a Prime Minister' for SBS TV's Dateline, which aired on 30 August.
Back to September
menu
August
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu