|Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review - 3
[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (firstname.lastname@example.org) have been removed.]
Monday, 3 December 2007
UNMIT – MEDIA MONITORING
"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any conseque6nce resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."
National Media Reports
The Head of the Security Council delegation: the UN is still needed in Timor-Leste
The head of the Security Council delegation, Dumisani Kumalo, said that the UN was still needed in Timor–Leste to help the country solve the major issues facing it.
"UNMIT's current 12-month mandate expires on 26 February 2008. Because Timor-Leste still needs the help of the international community, we will recommend to the UN Security Council the extension of its mission in Timor-Leste", he said.
During the four-day visit, Security Council members held discussions with senior Government officials including the President and Prime Minister, as well as representatives of political parties and other stakeholders. The three major issues most often raised during the discussions were Major Reinado, the IDPs, and the Petitioners.
"I have great faith that the Government and people of Timor-Leste, working together, can solve these problems," he said. "You have come a long way and we will support you. But we cannot do it for you." (STL)
Horta asks a foreign Magistrate not to 'open his mouth' recklessly
The president of Timor-Leste asked a foreign magistrate who is currently contracted by the Government not to open his mouth or comment recklessly since this could destabilize Timor-Leste (STL)
Court hearing for Major Alfredo
"The Court hearing for the Major Alfredo case was supposed to be held on Monday 3/11 today, but it fell through once again. Even though he has not yet turned up in court, the justice process still continues. It indicates that Alfredo will never free himself from justice for the crimes he committed during last year's crisis," said a member of the National Parliament, Vital Dos Santos. (STL)
The former vice Commander of Fretilin's Secret Army, Leandro Lobato, is captured
The police have arrested Mr. Leandro Lobato (former vice-commander for Mr. Rai los), due to his involvement in the attack on the F-FDTL Compound in Tasitolu. (STL)
Regarding the six foreign journalists killed in Timor-Leste, Horta asks Indonesia to take responsibility
The President of Timor-Leste, Jose Ramos-Horta, is asking the Indonesian government to take responsibility for the six journalists who were murdered by Indonesian soldiers in Balibo, in 1975 in Timor-Leste.
"Those journalists were unique and innocent, it was not an accidental death but an assassination, and therefore I am asking the Indonesian government to take responsibility", he said. (TP)
International Media Reports
U.N. says E. Timor needs U.N. presence to continue
Japan Economic Newswire
Dili, Nov. 30 (Kyodo)
A senior U.N. official said Friday East Timor will continue to need the presence of the United Nations in the country for some time to come.
Dumisani Kumalo, head of a U.N. Security Council delegation on a four-day visit to East Timor, said at a press conference at U.N. headquarters in Dili that the security situation in the country appears to be "very good" but the country still needs a lot of "international support."
"Absolutely, yes, the U.N. mission is still needed in East Timor, there is no doubt about that, it is needed in East Timor," Kumalo said.
The short-term priority, he added, must be to continue national reconciliation and dialogue.
During the visit, the six U.N. delegation members met with a wide variety of East Timorese, including Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, President Jose Ramos-Horta, to gain a firsthand view of the challenges facing the young country.
Kumalo said the problems of internally displaced persons and those faced by 600 dismissed rebellious army members had been among the major issues raised people during their discussions.
He said people also raised the issues of justice and law and order.
"They want to see more justice," Kumalo said bluntly.
He explained that visit was aimed to look at the U.N. role in the country and make recommendations to the Security Council about the extension of the mandate of the current U.N. mission beyond Feb. 26 next year.
"We haven't even had time to talk among ourselves what will be in that report, but I can assure you that there will be continued international support for the U.N. on the ground here to do its work, because we are very pleased with the work the U.N. has done," Kumalo said.
The delegation consisted of Kumalo, the head of mission from South Africa, Liu Zhenmin from China, Muhammad Anshor from Indonesia, Diana Eloeva from the Russian Federation, Peter Burian from Slovakia and Jackie Wolcott of the United States.
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org
Back to December menu